Kun or Super Kun?

July 13, 2006 at 03:59 AM · Which is better, Kun or Super Kun? And what's the difference?

Replies (20)

July 12, 2006 at 06:40 PM · I need an answer quickly.

July 13, 2006 at 05:00 AM · Greetings,

depends on the player.

Every person I have observed using a Kun in Japan has technical problems as a direct result. Not thta I want to start the SR debate again. ;)

Cheers,

Buri

July 13, 2006 at 06:26 AM · What's the difference between the models?

July 13, 2006 at 04:07 PM · I used to play with a Super Kun. I remember it as being nice and comfy. I think the foam is a little squishier than regular Kun. I don't remember there being too much of a difference between the two, though.

July 13, 2006 at 04:13 PM · While we're on shoulder rests - has anyone ever tried the Comford? What are they like?

July 13, 2006 at 04:28 PM · Yes, I use the comford. It's probably the shoulder rest that gets least in the way of sound. It's hollow and vibrates with the violin. It is rather heavy but it's balanced in a way that once it's on your shoulder it "sinks in" and you really don't feel the weight. Also, it allows for a greater range of mobility in comparison to other conventional shoulder rests.

If you can go without a rest, or only need minimal height, it would be better to just use a cosmetic sponge, but if you need the extra height, the Comford gets my vote.

Preston

July 13, 2006 at 05:30 PM · I might try the Comford, even though I probably couldn't fit it in my case and dragging it around and trying not to lose it would be a pain. Maybe I'll just always have a shoulder rest in my purse. Which material is yours made of? The gold one looks pretty cool, but I dunno what it would sound like.

I feel like I'll never find the perfect shoulder rest. I've tried Kun, Super Kun, Kun Bravo (current one), Bonmusica, and someone's Mach. This is getting expensive.

July 13, 2006 at 08:45 PM · Hi,

The Super Kun is the one that swivels from side to side so it can fit your shoulder better. I don't think that the regular Kun does that. I have tried many kinds of shoulder rests, but I keep going back to the Super Kun. I can play with nothing as long as I have bare skin, but I find that for long gigs playing with the shoulder rest is just better.

The thing that bothers me is that the foam on the Kun is too narrow. I could use a little more padding. (Some players add cosmetic sponges to it to increase the support.)

I have the golden Shoulder Cradle (I guess it is the same as the Comfort). It is heavy and fits on the violin only one way. I find it a little too tall (the actual "tall" version is quite tall indeed). It never falls off which is great. A friend of mine uses one on her viola. She noticed a buzzing sound on her instrument and after puzzling over it for a while found out that one of legs was the cause of the buzzing. It was vibrating agains the golden metal part that it is set in. Mine doesn't do that, but it is good to know that it may happen.

Lucia

July 14, 2006 at 09:03 PM · Thank you

July 16, 2006 at 12:09 AM · I am very bony, and the one with more curve seem to fit me much better. That is, Kun collapsable fits me better than its classic/orignal. The 3/4 original fits me well too (I use it on a slender full size Amati). However, the Kun Voce is a killer. Although it is not as curved, the light weight is great. I use them on my Guarneri models (slender and shorter than Strad model) and it works very well on them.

July 17, 2006 at 09:40 PM · Kun voce is better but too expensive.

I agree with S. Brivati, almost every student I have who is using or has used a Kun has technical problems with angle, left shoulder...something.

The rest seems to fix the violin in place too rigidly.

July 18, 2006 at 01:38 AM · is it just Kuns, or wolfs too that cause students to develope problems?

July 18, 2006 at 02:17 AM · Greetings,

on the whole I find the wolfs substantially better. I think part of the reason is that they are not so clearly trying to mimic a theoretical body shape. I have noticed that the more a rest is designed to fit the body the more players tend to adapt the body to fit the rest which leads to all kinds of trouble,

Cheers,

buri

July 18, 2006 at 05:39 AM · Buri, have you noticed that "all kinds of problems" were/are caused by shoulder rest more or less alone or have you also taken into account the chinrest? After I watched the violinmasterclass.com (great site and I love it by the way), I thought I need a center mounted chinrest in order to use a full length bow (I could pass for a high school student in a good day). So I bought two such chinrests just for that purpose only to realize painfully that I could not use them. The pain caused by the center-mounted chinrest stopped me from playing for over 15 minutes in a row. But after I changed to a guarneri type chinrest, I don't seem to have the same physical pain problem. That said, I don't know whether I have technical problems.

July 18, 2006 at 05:35 AM · [quote]

The rest seems to fix the violin in place too rigidly.

[/quote]

I remember seeing one of P. Zuckerman's masterclasses where he seemed to be very critical of should rest for the same reason. He encouraged the student, who posed the "to use or not use a shoulder rest" question to use a shoulder rest alternative, say cosmetic sponge--one can get it at walgreens.

July 18, 2006 at 06:28 AM · Greetings,

yes the problem is the rest. but you are quite right that one has to get the whole package right.Getting rid of a rest but having a useless chinrest is useless, as you have discovered. It is, alas, a very expensive business.

Cheers,

Buri

July 18, 2006 at 08:11 PM · Buri,

You are absolutely right about the Kuns and bad postures. I have noticed the same thing. It seems to me that the children buy it for the orchestra, but are never shown the proper way to use it. I do use the super kun myself because it works for me. I have a very straight posture.

Lucia

July 18, 2006 at 08:23 PM · I use the Kun Super as well. On occasion, after a period of usage, I get these shoulder pains, which always prompt me to change my shoulder rest/set up. I've changed set up at least four times, and every single time, I always come back to the Kun Super. My posture is fine. I used to really tense up my shoulders, but as long as you realize that your shoulder rest molds to your body and not the other way around, you should be fine.

July 18, 2006 at 09:40 PM · What do you all think of the Kun Bravo? Do you really think the wood helps it to resonate better? When I first got it I noticed I sounded slightly louder, but now I can't really hear the difference - I guess because I've been playing with it for so long.

July 18, 2006 at 11:50 PM · Greetings,

on the whole I think wooden rests resonate with instruments better. The Mach one seems a very pleasnat rest to use. ASt least its a lot lighter.

It took me years to find out what worked for me. When I was at the RCM the whole idea of playing restless was so out of the ball park it wan`t even discussed as an option when problems began. Mr. Rodney Friend, who still teaches there, changed a lot of his students to the Gewa pad and had them move the instrument much more round the front. Many students thought that wa sradical at the time although it was just really sensible...

I have never been able to make the Gewa work for me. The reason is I think that it doesnt quite fill the gap between violin and shoulder so I tend to start doing what rest encourages: There is some instincttive tendency to raise the shoudle rin order to make contact with that tantalizing pad whic is just out of reach. I can play very comfortably with no support at all with the left hand holding the violin. Learning that balance improves the technique radically as long as you know what you are doing and that often implies having the right teacher to help you with it. However, my best solution to date is to use a small pad called the `sostenuto` (firm model) .Got that one from Shar. It is very slim, about half the width of the Gewa. What make sit interesting is that the leather going round the button of the instrument pulls the pad so that it is situated near the rim of the violin directly under the chinrest. It gets the support in closer than a rest without forcing the instrument away from you. Its narrowness also means that it has very little damping effetc on the violin itself .

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe