what to wear ?

July 13, 2006 at 03:59 AM · I remember reading a string on performance garb for guys, but I haven't sen anything about what us gals are supposed to wear.

I will be doing a recital soon, and would appreciate suggestions for what is approprate to wear when one is playing a solo recital.

Thanks,

KW

Replies (20)

July 13, 2006 at 04:05 AM · For recitals, I would suggest a (preferably dark-colored, but that's just me) floor length dress, not too flashy or beady. Just simple. Don't overdo it with an evening gown or something like that LOL. I don't suggest wearing black, however.

July 13, 2006 at 04:12 AM · to me its cool to break the socially constructed classical dress attire. I wear whatever I feel like wearing on the day of a recital :)

July 13, 2006 at 08:23 AM · For my senior recital, I found a really nice lacy, off-white top (from Kohl's!) to go with a shin-length, simple black skirt (but I'm pretty tall - anything looks shin-length on me!) :)

July 13, 2006 at 03:34 PM · ...I'd stick with an updated classic look...so long/longish black skirt (or a very dressy pair of slacks, ie. wide legs and made from some nice floaty material) with a pretty and comfortable top...not too revealing...and since sparkles are currently in style - I'd take advantage of that...love the way they catch the light.

I like the aethetic/fashion end of things so I watch carefully to see what works and what doesn't (althought there are always exceptions - I'm just posting some general comments).

Things to avoid:

Bare legs - please torture yourself with a pair of pantihose for this occasion.

Open-toe shoes - contrary to popular fashion, I still think this is a no-no. However, if you insist on wearing them, PLEASE make sure that:

1) your shoes fit! Toe overhang is REALLY unattractive.

2) your toes are manicured. Nails trimmed. Polish is NOT chipped (*yuck*) and avoid polish colours such as blues, greens and the very darks - purples, blacks, etc.

Tops that you might fall out of - what ARE some women thinking???

Clothes that have obviously been laundered, i.e. wrinkled and not ironed, faded, discoloured. You'd be surprised at how often I see this with women...never men...only women.

Clothes that are obviously out of style. This is why I suggest that performers avoid the trendy and stick with the classics.

Distracting jewellery - I spent one concert focused on the HUGE clunky bracelet the violinist was wearing, waiting to see if it would hit her violin - whereas I should have been focused on the music.

July 13, 2006 at 04:04 PM · I like the idea of playing in a floor length evening gown. Like an understated prom dress. I can't wait to shop for mine, but I've got a year or two to go before I have to go through with it.

July 13, 2006 at 06:39 PM · Those (understated prom dresses-spaghetti straps, etc.) seem to be popular among the up-and-coming pro's. I've seen them a lot at several smaller recitals at the important venues lately.

I just don't have the money to buy one, or the courage wear one, right now! :)

July 13, 2006 at 06:44 PM · Marshall's is a wonderful place. As are thrift shops.

Any dress for more than $30 is more than you ever need to pay.

As long as you *have* straps, I say you have courage!

July 13, 2006 at 06:59 PM · Personally, I think it depends on the venue and the size of the audience. If it's somewhat informal, on school facilities or in a church, an evening gown seems like overkill. But if you're talking about a nice concert hall with a sizeable audience, something flashier could work. Just make sure you're comfortable (no new shoes, hairstyle, or jewelry) enough that you can focus on playing instead of something falling down or falling off or hitting something else. :)

July 13, 2006 at 11:01 PM · my friend recently played and wore a burgundy blouse with black ankle length skirt and black heeled shoes. sometimes you may want to break the mold although it's not for everyone to be so out of the ordinary.

July 14, 2006 at 01:49 AM · Avoid low cut tops, or tops that have a loose chest. Remember that you have to bow, and whilst the guys in the audience might love it, you're probably better not doing it. I don't know how many of my friends have decided to wear a top for a concert, then only have to worry about how to bow without showing off their assets. Avoid the worry, choose a top that you won't need to worry about this.

July 14, 2006 at 02:01 AM · Avoid high heels, even if you're short. They throw off your balance. I generally try to wear flats for performing even though I'm only 5'. I'd rather be a midget and sound better......

-Laura

July 14, 2006 at 02:20 AM · Ben, what are you trying to do to us man?

July 14, 2006 at 05:49 AM · Ms. Mohr says:

"Tops that you might fall out of - what ARE some women thinking???"

Answer: "At least the guys will give me a standing ovation".

July 14, 2006 at 09:23 AM · Women should always consider a nice hat -->link

July 14, 2006 at 11:25 AM · Apart from Jim, some of you folks are just no fun at all!

Whatever happened to the concept of "If you've got it, flaunt it"? (Answers are not to include the word 'appropriate'.) :)

Neil

July 14, 2006 at 03:49 PM · ...yes, but the women that are prone to falling out of their tops, aren't always the women who are a pleasure to see falling out of their tops...and THAT comment does come from a man's perspective...;)

...I dunno about the hats either...I think they'd interfere with bowing...

July 14, 2006 at 04:40 PM · type in "topless violin" in google and you get this one:

http://www.silentmusic.nl/eng/info.html

July 14, 2006 at 07:33 PM · neil, i've got a big nose and a potbelly. should i flaunt that too?

July 14, 2006 at 07:39 PM · You should probably mention that that link is not safe for work :D On another note someone somewhere said, if you got it flaunt it, aka some of us men might forgive a bad perfomance when we are to visualy distracted to notice the music :D

Cheerio!

July 14, 2006 at 10:32 PM · From D Wright

Posted on July 14, 2006 at 12:33 PM (MST)

neil, i've got a big nose and a potbelly. should i flaunt that too?

Absolutely. Just play louder so that you're not drowned out by the screaming and retching.

;)

Oh by the way, this is all from a man who needs perspex mirrors 'cause the glass ones shatter when they see me.

Neil

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe