Metronome/Tuner

July 11, 2006 at 03:30 AM · I'm looking for one of those little machines that's a combination of tuner, chromatic drones, and metronome (that accentuates certain beats of different time signatures). Can I get a nice one for a $20-35 range? Which one would you recommend?

Replies (14)

July 11, 2006 at 05:19 AM · Sabine Metrotune MT9000.

It does all that, and it's small too. I power it with rechargable AAA batteries.

December 11, 2006 at 03:24 AM · I'd like to reactivate this thread: I have the same question, and there was only one original response. Shar (for example) carries 4 brands of metro/tuner combos: their own, Boss, Intelli, and Korg. There are also several other brands out there.

Does anyone have experience with and can make recommendations on specific brands? I know I want needle-style calibration for tuning, a wide enough tuning range that I could calibrate for A-415 if I needed to (baroque performance), and a loud enough beat in the metronome function to be heard above a quartet. So I'd appreciate comments based on personal experience from others on v.com. Thanks!

(Reason for asking: a holiday gift to me is in the offing, but in my family our custom is to ask first (I've been asked what kind of metro/tuner combo to get). It takes away the surprise when you're opening gifts, but insures you get stuff you can actually use.)

December 11, 2006 at 03:42 AM · I like Korg. They aren't the cheapest brand but I have had it for about 5 years now, and the battery has lasted since then! Plus it is super reliable, love it, its like it never leaves my side! lol

December 11, 2006 at 04:04 AM · Here's a good online element timer: (fair-but adequate)

http://www.westville.k12.nj.us/timer/

And here's a really nice online metrononme w/a440

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

January 11, 2008 at 11:34 PM · It seems like the Intelli 4 in 1 metro/tuner is popular. What are your thoughts on that?

January 12, 2008 at 01:40 PM · I like the silver korgs that have a tuner function on the left and a metronome on the right :)

January 12, 2008 at 02:53 PM · Since someone wanted to reactivate this, I thought there might be an interest in perspective on this recommended tool at this point. I'm sorry to say my Sabine Metrotune MT9000 isn't holding up well. The top volume has decreased radically, so now I can't hear it while playing. It's not my hearing :) In addition,I find that the fanning of the needle as it swings left & right is distracting, and regret that it jumps 4 or 6 points when I want click for a faster/slower. I like to make note of the recorded tempo of the fiddle tunes I want to learn, and with this, I have to approximate. Sue

January 12, 2008 at 03:33 PM · I bought a Sabine MT9000 a couple of years ago, and it wasn't very loud. I use it for travel now, as it is compact, and fits in the case well. I replaced the Sabine with a Korg KDM-2. The Korg is a little beyond the price range stated above, but it has all of the functions needed, and is LOUD.

January 12, 2008 at 07:16 PM · Shar has a good inexpensive one, their house brand.

January 13, 2008 at 06:17 PM · I can highly recommend the Skillbox (I have the MT-320), but it is an import that's quite hard to find. It does all you ask, is loud enough to be heard over a string quartet, and fits lengthwise in my violin case's larger inner pocket, making it easy to always have along.

January 14, 2008 at 02:55 AM · When I started violin I just continued using the tuner I have for guitar, a Boss TU-80. It's a chromatic tuner/metronome/drone. I tested the tuner against an oscilloscope at work and it was accurate to the needle's readability (~2 cents). Some violin players may not like it since it's tuned in equal temperament like a piano though.

I don't like the metronome on it though, it's an irritating beep.

January 24, 2008 at 08:50 AM · There is also nice online metronome on http://bestmetronome.com

January 27, 2008 at 06:14 PM · I bought a very nice Seiko metronome that I really like. I think I ordered it from Shar.

January 27, 2008 at 09:34 PM · is the korg OT-120 over kill for an accomplished high school jr/sr. violinist

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe