Brahms Double Concerto recordings

July 9, 2006 at 10:42 PM · Im seeking a modern Brahms Double Concerto´s recording. I have only two legendary recs. Oistrakh-Rostropovich and Suk-Andre Navarra versions. Can you suggest another one to me. Thanks

Replies (58)

July 9, 2006 at 11:35 PM · I'm not as familiar with the newer versions, but of the older recordings, I've always liked

- Oistrakh and Fournier (as well as Rostropovich)

- Stern and Leonard Rose

- Heifetz and Piatagorsky (Their ensemble playing is amazing; you can't tell where one leaves off and the other begins)

Sandy

July 10, 2006 at 01:13 AM · Here's a video of the 3rd mvt.

Kremer - Maisky - Bernstein

http://www.stanford.michaelayre.com/community/strad/viewtopic.php?t=25&sid=ea0f443bf2553af80a498af8e1ce7096

Besides that only listened to the Heifetz-Piatagorsky and an obscure recording I found at the library.

July 10, 2006 at 01:28 AM · Thanks Henry, very good video i ever like Kremer´s sound, is there available in CD via internet? is newer than i have, why young violinist no rec this great work?

July 10, 2006 at 01:41 AM · Henry thank you for the link. Simply stunning perhaps even better than the Oistrakh-Rostropovich.

July 10, 2006 at 02:01 AM · Well, the other selections do not seem so modern. What is your definition of modern?

I have D Oistrakh/Rostro, D Oistrakh/Fournier, Perlman/Rostro, Perlman/Ma, Mutter/Meneses, Heifetz/Piatigorsky, Heifetz/Feuermann, Francescatti/Fournier, Ferras/Tortelier, Kremer/Maisky (DVD), Shaham/Jian Wang.

Of these, Francescatti/Fournier & Ferras/Tortelier

I like very much.

July 10, 2006 at 02:11 AM · Hi, sorry for my english, newer is the correct word, version´s like Mutter or Shaham, i just see a Shaham-Wang recording i want a Mutter-Meneses too, are goods versions? Thanks.

July 10, 2006 at 04:12 AM · The Mutter/Meneses is less "energetic". You perhaps try the Kremer/Maisky/Bernstein (the pick of BBC's Building a Library years ago). I heard the G Shaham & Jian Wang version a few years back. Have to get to know it again before stating my opinion.

July 10, 2006 at 05:20 AM · i'm very fond of the clemens hagen + (i can't remember who the violinist is) but it is reaslly good.

July 10, 2006 at 05:28 AM · I loved Shaham/Wang's recording. Jian Wang is not as famous as Yo-Yo Ma, but he's amazing and has great depth in musicality.

July 10, 2006 at 05:48 AM · Greetings,

>i'm very fond of the clemens hagen +

Me too. The pistachio version is best,

Cheers,

Buri

July 10, 2006 at 04:22 PM · While we're on the subject, has anyone heard, played, or heard a recording of the piano trio version of the double concerto? I gather that Brahms himself did the piano reduction (or so the printed music states), and it is quite formidable, to put it mildly. I've taken a close look at the parts (the violin and cello parts are not altered to my knowledge), but have never actually heard it. I wonder if it works; I'd guess the 2nd movement would come out best.

July 10, 2006 at 05:24 PM · I have the Yo-Yo Ma/Isaac Stern recording, and I love it.

July 10, 2006 at 05:55 PM · Shaham / J. Wang / C. Abbado...

Wang is a genius !

Best

AR

July 10, 2006 at 08:18 PM · I go with Heifetz/Feuermann on Naxos Historical.

July 10, 2006 at 09:56 PM · I love the Shaham/Wang recording. Wang's sound and phrasing is just sooooooooooooo perfect for that piece. Shaham does an excellent job too.

July 10, 2006 at 10:13 PM · Wow. Thanks a lot, these is a very spacial work to me, my father gift me Suk´s version when i have only 10, so rare in a tropical country, in a no musician family, due this i try to be a musician and violinist, now with my ups and downs, at 44 i guess that was success. I just order Shaham and Kremer versions, i not find any Fournier´s version, with Rostropovich, my favorites cello´s players. Thanks

July 10, 2006 at 10:13 PM · My favorite is a treasured LP, the 1969 EMI recording by George Szell and his Cleveland Orch., and Oistrach/Rostropowitsch at their best.

Szell died July 31, 1970.

Julia Fischer and Daniel Müller-Schott played the Brahms Double last September in Frankfurt, and they plan to record it soon. See PentaTone website.

Tschüs, Hansjürgen

July 10, 2006 at 11:52 PM · I can add 0istrakh-Knushevitsky,Milstein-Piatigorsky and Schneiderhann-Starker

July 11, 2006 at 02:16 AM · Hi. I always think that with two versions is enough. For 30 years i only hear Oistrakh-Rostropovich-Szell (Hansjürgen i bought this in 1978, is great) and Suk-Navarra recordings. Is a great concerto, so mature and difficult, i ever dream with play it, include with my brother who is cello´s player and live in Mexico, but no way, out of range for us, thanks for Julia Fischer´s clue, she is a interesting player.

July 11, 2006 at 02:30 AM · You should definitely check out Heifetz and Feuermann.

July 11, 2006 at 02:48 AM · Thanks Enosh i will try this.

July 11, 2006 at 04:58 AM · I recommend Milstein/Piatigorsky...absolutely incredible in every way.

July 11, 2006 at 01:23 PM · Though Rostro plays well with Perlman & D Oistrakh, I can't stand the way he starts the last mvt slower & slowly. Then there is a sudden jerk in speed as Szell speeds up for the 1st tutti. Do listen and let me know your comments.

July 11, 2006 at 06:31 PM · Cheng you are right, is so weird i never repart in this, and happens only in the first tutti, i guess that Szell fell that was so slow the soloist tempo. Thanks.

July 11, 2006 at 10:08 PM · If Karajan were the conductor, he would not have allowed this mannerism.

July 11, 2006 at 10:27 PM · In your opinion what could happens in this weird situation?

July 12, 2006 at 01:17 AM · Karajan would have got his way (or found a tempo slow enough for Rostro but fast enough for his liking in the tutti).

Pity that EMI did not convince D Oistrakh/Rostro to record the Brahms Double when they were also recording the Beethoven Triple.

July 12, 2006 at 04:04 AM · Greetings,

violin T. I agree . If you can get the milstein/Piatigorsky it is mind-blowing,

Cheers,

Buri

July 12, 2006 at 05:41 AM · Richter, Oistrakh and Rostropovich hated Karajan and totally disagreed with him about the tempo of each movement and more. Richter was quite outspoken about that session (Beethoven Triple) in his autobiography. Look at their photo together. It says it all - the difference in affect between the soloists and conductor, who basically set them up (according to Richter) to look goofy while he put on an air of serious professionalism.

July 12, 2006 at 05:47 AM · Although the musicians themselves disagreed on the Triple, it remains one of the very best Triples that I have heard. Most critics like this one too.

July 12, 2006 at 05:48 AM · Buri - the Milstein/Piatigorsky - is that only on one label? If it is on a few labels, which is the best mastering please?

July 12, 2006 at 05:53 AM · I only managed to locate 1, Buri - that was the Naxos. Is that the one you mean? Thanks - Cheng

July 12, 2006 at 06:36 AM · I think Milstein and Piatigorsky only made one recording, and I think it was live.

July 12, 2006 at 08:08 AM · Violin T - so the Naxos issue is that very live recording?

July 12, 2006 at 10:38 AM · Years ago I heard a recording with Zuckerman and Lynn Harrel. Fantastic but like nearly all of Zuckerman's brilliant earlier recordings, been out of print for years. Anyone know why?

July 12, 2006 at 11:55 AM · Because Zucker dissolves very quickly

July 12, 2006 at 02:22 PM · ...I guess so.

July 12, 2006 at 11:04 PM · Violin T & Buri - please elaborate why you guys like the Milstein-P version. Thanks, Cheng

July 13, 2006 at 01:15 AM · Hi. I can`t find Milstein-Piatgorski rec. Now in my hands Janos Starker (Really Good) version and Franchescatti-Fournier( i dont know why no like me i guess that is less emotive than others). I bought both in Caracas and order via Internet Kremer and Shaham recordings. Imposible to me find Heifetz, Milstein and Mutter´s recordings that all of you recommend. Thanks a lot.

July 13, 2006 at 01:46 AM · haha, Kremer should stick to the violin, not dancing! Great video

July 13, 2006 at 03:45 AM · Luis, Try www.mdt.co.uk for the Milstein (on pre-order now). Regards - Cheng

Also very good is the Ferras/Tortelier (Testament) but its coupling Tch VC (Ferras) is very poor.

July 13, 2006 at 03:49 AM · Luis - I think you can find the Milstein, Heifetz & Mutter versions at www.mdt.co.uk. Thanks - Cheng

July 13, 2006 at 05:05 AM · Wow. Cheng you are right i just order a pre order with Milstein version and order ($ 16) Heifetz recordings both with Piatgorsky. Not Mutter but is a great site. About Ferras try your Brahms version, i like it so much. Regards.

July 13, 2006 at 07:02 AM · Luis - Heifetz & Piatigorsky - I think it is the same recording. Heifetz & Feuermann on the Biddulph label. Regards - Cheng

July 13, 2006 at 11:38 AM · Hi Cheng. No, Heifetz-Piatigorsky versions is with Fritz Reiner and Chicago SO. The other one (Jascha Heifetz-Emanuel Feuermann) is a Naxos Historical, with Bruch Scottish Fantasy and Glazunov VC.

July 13, 2006 at 01:03 PM · I drove to the hospital to get some test results. Heard the Ferras-Tortelier version on my I-Pod connected to the car stereo whilst heading to the hospital. Excellently played. If you have the original LP, I think it may be worth a lot of money.

July 13, 2006 at 02:41 PM · Listen if you can the old 0istrakh-Knushevitsky-

Eliasberg with radio Leningrad 0.(1948) The orchestra sounds like a circus one, but the 2

solists are fantastic.

July 13, 2006 at 07:04 PM · Ferras was ups and downs but your Brahms versions are really goods.

July 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM · Thanks Luis. I tend the choose among the best versions to keep. Violin T & Buri has piqued my interest in the Milstein-P version.

July 13, 2006 at 10:38 PM · Greetings,

Mr Cheng, hope your tests were okay.

Why do I like P and M?

I think Piatigorsky at his best just poured out the most sublime , unpretentious ringing sound in cello history. The opening cello solo on this recording is one of those great listeing moments when you you suddenly stop what you are doign to pick your jaw up frm around your ankles.

Milstein is a more sophisticated and elegant player but have always found just a touch of madness in his palying which he lets rip on ocassion (such as in the Dvorak cocnerto) when he is just plain scary. I think in response to Piatigorsky`s broader sound he feels free to let go a little more than usual. A perfetc foil.

Incudenatlly,on the same disc is his recoridng of the Brahms d minor sonata with Horowitz. That is a battle royale...

Cheers,

Buri

July 14, 2006 at 03:01 AM · Hi Buri - the tests were for OSA (Sleep Apnea). My reading is 29. I'm fine otherwise. Also had some Acid Reflux. Much better now - thanks.

So the Milstein Naxos CD has Brahms Double (with Piati), VS 3 (with Horowitz) & LvB VS 5 (with Balsam). You mean Piati even out-did his own rec. with Heifetz? Wow!

I recently bought Milstein's Brahms VC with Fistoulari (with Bruch 1 on a French EMI CD). It blew me away - esp. the Brahms. His Tch VC with Abbado (DG Originals) is good too. I was fortunate to see him live in London in the early 1980s & he played a Geminiani VS, Bach Chaconne, LvB Kreutzer, Stravinsky Russian Maiden Song, Scherzo Tarantelle, Liszt Mephisto Waltz No 1 (trans Milstein). Amazing!

Regards - Cheng

July 31, 2006 at 03:41 PM · Szeryng/Starker is great, too.

July 31, 2006 at 03:59 PM · Anyone interested in a live recording of the Brahms Double concerto with Julia Fischer and Han-Na Chang from Carnegie Hall should drop me an email.

FMF

July 31, 2006 at 04:08 PM ·

July 31, 2006 at 04:11 PM · Hi, Thanks to all of you, my collection was incressed with: Francescatti/Fournier (no soo good to me), Sneiderhan/Starker/Fricsay (interesting rec), Kremer/Maisky (original), Shaham/Wang (The best i ever heard)and Heifetz/Piatigorski (Great) recordings, another one in this quality?

August 2, 2006 at 05:05 PM · Hi, i just download Julia Fischer-Nam Carnegie Hall live version from Frank-Michael Fischer site, is really amaizing, what a colors from these players, Julia is incredible gifted and Nam have a nice tone, Highly recommended. Thanks a lot Frank- Michael.

August 2, 2006 at 03:26 PM · "Here's a video of the 3rd mvt.

Kremer - Maisky - Bernstein"

Just WOW. Supports my high opinion of the Kremer/Wang. They are both reading music! I haven't ever seen that before. Do I need to get out more?

August 2, 2006 at 03:30 PM · Heifetz/Feuermann with Philly Orch and Ormandy is pretty mind-blowing...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe