student giving lessons to younger students

July 7, 2006 at 04:18 AM · I am interested in giving lessons to younger/beginner students. I am a student myself in college--I wouldn't say I am in the level of a conservatory musician, but in a non-conservatory world I think I would say I am fairly advanced and committed.

I gave a few lessons this summer (and still am) for free since I'm currently inexperienced as a teacher of any sort... (which was a good idea because first couple of lessons were a bit scary and full of surprises). I live in a neighborhood where a lot of kids playing the violin don't take lessons and develop bad habits throughout high school in school orchestras (mostly in the level of roughly suzuki book 2-4 by the time they're in high school...).

My question is, how much would be a reasonable cost to ask for (per half hour or 45 min) for those students?

Replies (7)

July 7, 2006 at 07:14 AM · The cheapest I could find at U of Washington was $30/hour. However, all the people I called had direct approval to instruct under our violin professor (who studied under Heifetz). Just get approved, then see what happens. Just know that people aren't going to pay you as much when then can get a well respected violin instructor for a few dollars more.

Good luck,

Daniel H

July 7, 2006 at 04:46 PM · As a high school senior I charged $20/hr, and gave 30 minute and 1 hour lessons.

July 7, 2006 at 04:53 PM · When I was in college, (I graduated 3 years ago) the going rate for an undergrad or masters student was $30 per hour, $15 per half hour. Doctoral students usually charged a bit more.

-Laura

July 10, 2006 at 08:59 AM · 30 EUR / hour, so approx. 30 $/ hour.

I had once a konzertmeister who took me 50 EUR per hour !!!

Best

AR

July 10, 2006 at 04:22 PM · You-Jin,

In order to be fair to those students, I would make sure you get a little training or teaching knowlege. Observe a local teacher, talk with other teachers to get ideas, etc. Read books on teaching....Do your research. Suzuki training is useful if you're planning to teach more in the future. It's not very fair to students though to charge them very much if you don't yet have some ideas on teaching. You may have the playing expertise, but that isn't enough. The first few students I had in high school and college I feel really sorry for. If I'd known any better, I would have sent them to a more experienced teacher or observed some of the local teachers for ideas rather than subject them to my lack of teaching skills. Everyone has their "guinea pigs" when they first start out, but be sure to make the best of it by doing a little research and being ultra prepared for lessons.

-Laura

July 10, 2006 at 07:10 PM · Yes, thank you for the advices. I think I am going to settle at $20/hour. You're definitely right about not charging the students too much, that was my issue as well, because honestly, if I were one of them and I had a choice between an experienced teacher with $50/hour versus a student teacher with like $40/hour (or something comparable to that of the experienced teacher), I would have paid a little more and gone to the more experienced one.

But I'm mostly trying to give lessons to those to whom even a student teacher at this point would be much more helpful than none at all... those who aren't quite motivated or inspired enough to pursue music past their public school years, but would like to improve at a slightly faster pace and more informatively than the current local schools allow. And yes, I've been talking to some people, getting teaching info, and browsing online for websites too :)

July 11, 2006 at 12:16 AM · You-Jin,

You sound very dedicated and thoughtful. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job and be a fine teacher. Keep us posted.

-Laura

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe