France vs. Italy

July 7, 2006 at 04:18 AM · Well the country of thegreatest Bow makers vs. the greatest Violin makers. Even though I'm a "bow guy" I still have to go with Italy. Tourte vs. Guarneri, Strad vs. Peccatte

Replies (99)

July 7, 2006 at 05:28 AM · I'm going wiht France. Italy are damn good but they play dirty. France are much more ethical.

July 7, 2006 at 06:48 AM · Hey, I am for France of course ;) I have watched most of the plays they did,and I think they have a very good team spirit this year!Italians are good players of course, but they exagerate a bit too much..and they make too many faults,and argue too much!!!So, FRANCE FRANCE FRANCE!!

July 7, 2006 at 07:27 AM · ZIDANE!

July 7, 2006 at 08:01 AM · I was on tour with my youth orchestra when the world cup was in France... just like then, I find it incredible how people suddenly become so nationalistic and engrossed in the world cup when they never watch the premiere leagues, normally do not care an iota for soccer, and are about as Italian or Brazillian (the two teams most in vogue for suddenly supporting) as store bought lasagna.

July 7, 2006 at 08:33 AM · ALLEZ LES BLEUS, ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!!

July 7, 2006 at 08:33 AM · People love the sense of community and the competition. It's only natural.

If only nationalism over orchestras were more prominent! Things would get ugly.

Viva Italia! :P

Mais j'aime France aussi (pardon mon francais, il ya cinq ans que je n'avais pas parle francais.

July 7, 2006 at 08:45 AM · the atmosphere here in France right now is crazy amazing!

It will be quite a match: I think it will be a tough win for either side. If France can play their game the way they beat Brazil, they can win. If they play the way they beat Portugal, I think Italy will overcome.

Soooooooooo........I am going with France though!

Allez les Bleus!!!!!!!

July 7, 2006 at 09:53 AM · Allez les Bleus!!!! J'adore la france. Ils sont superbe!!! :-)

July 7, 2006 at 10:59 AM · Hi Grainne, you don't happen to know a girl called Lisa Dowdall?

July 7, 2006 at 11:13 AM · France has looked good with Zidane looking great, but I think the goalkeepers will make the difference. And with goalkeepers, Italy has a huge edge.

July 7, 2006 at 11:25 AM · Zidene is in great shape, of course France will win.

July 7, 2006 at 11:33 AM · I bet that Italy will come out swinging in the 1st, run out of steam in the 2nd and the score will be 2 - 1 France over Italy.

When needed, France's defence is amazing.

Shall we place R bets?...........

July 7, 2006 at 02:47 PM · I agree,France made a great work when they played against Brazil,but it was soo boring against Portugla. The only thing they did was to prevent them from getting goals!!!But I must admit that the french goal keeper made a great job though!!It would be so cool if they could win, the atmosphere here is terrific!!

July 7, 2006 at 05:49 PM · many on YouTube are describing the last match as France against the Portugese "DIVING" team (since the Portugese were faking falling throughout the match).

July 7, 2006 at 06:00 PM · yes, it seems the Portugese will get a few Oscars this year.

July 7, 2006 at 08:25 PM · Yeah, they faked a bit but not as bad as Ronaldo in Brazil vs. France. He had many chances to make a goal but fell for no reason trying to get a penalty and they ddin't get squat. About the nationality thing, I don't care much about the team because of which country they belong to, but because of how they play. Like I said, I believe Italy plays dirty and France plays great and that's why I want France to win.

July 7, 2006 at 09:03 PM · Yes, and that is why I can't stand soccer.

July 7, 2006 at 09:45 PM · haha, nice analogy Angelo!

July 8, 2006 at 06:40 AM · Forza Azzuro, Italy also play in blue.The Italians have one great advantage.Due to a massive football scandal some of the team may have to find new jobs next season as Juventus,Firenze,Lazio and even Milan may be demoted for bribing referees. Soooo they will want to show off and be at their best.They are not just playing for their country but their future careers are at stake.

I wonder which team will be able to wear their blue kit on the big night.

July 8, 2006 at 06:49 AM · Yes but some french players like Zidane are playing their last game tomorrow before retirement too, so they want to leave the best way they can!!!

July 8, 2006 at 10:02 AM · so what are your predictions for the final SCORE?

July 8, 2006 at 11:53 AM · 1-0 Italy

July 8, 2006 at 12:12 PM · 2-1 France

July 8, 2006 at 02:48 PM · 2-0 France.

July 8, 2006 at 05:25 PM · 2-0 Italy. Forza Azzuri!!

July 8, 2006 at 05:35 PM · I am sorry, but if Zidane plays like Zidane, Itali might be toast...just my opinion.

July 8, 2006 at 06:08 PM · I think it truly will be a showdown..................let's hope (Heifetz willing).............. Osama Ben (Jim) Miller's influence :)

July 8, 2006 at 06:37 PM · Grammer was never my strong point

July 8, 2006 at 06:40 PM · 0-0 and Italy wins on penalties

never mind Amelie Mauresmo did her bit today!

July 8, 2006 at 06:42 PM · Italy all the way.

Great strikers, great defense.

July 8, 2006 at 06:42 PM · I want Portugal to beat Germany. They have the most amazing goal keeper.

July 8, 2006 at 09:34 PM · Sorry about that, Enosh...

Let's set the record straight here: there is no way that Buffon gives up 2 goals. Italy, 2-1, on a goal by Toni in the 88th minute. Forza Italia!

July 8, 2006 at 11:18 PM · buon giorno,

the real finale was yesterday, Olli Kahn's farewell party. In Berlin this evening, the Strad azzurra will finish a rather boring game by del Piero's last minute goal through the f-holes of Vuillaume goaly Barthez.

Santé, Hansjürgen

July 9, 2006 at 06:59 AM · Definately there will be a Tonigol

July 9, 2006 at 07:27 AM · In Las Vegas they're paying 2.2:1 if France wins, 1.4:1 for Italy.

July 9, 2006 at 07:54 AM · Keep in mind that nobody has scored on Italy this year except themselves. I say Italy wins 1-0 or it goes into a shootout and France wins. I believe Italy has never won a shootout in the World Cup.

July 9, 2006 at 08:46 AM · hey tonight's the the night, can't wait. ALLEZ LES BLEUS, ALLEZ LES BLEUS... altogether now...ALLEZ LES BLEUS, ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!!!!!

July 9, 2006 at 04:19 PM · i'm for france, thought i'm leaving to florence tomorrow ;)

i was actually for brazil and argentinia at the begining and i was real shocked when they won :-|

but anyways;)

by the way: glad to be back here guys :) i've missed you. gess i'l see some of you in Verbier !

lods of love,xoxoxoxo

Sashenka

P.S.: 1-1. prologations and france wins 2-1 ( like in Euro 2000)

July 9, 2006 at 05:57 PM · the other way around!!! Italy avoids penalty shootouts, bet?

Quickquick

H@j

July 9, 2006 at 08:52 PM · So sad that Zidane thing

July 9, 2006 at 09:00 PM · ...That was surreal to see. I wonder what the Italian player said to him. But actually, that Italin player could have been very badly hurt.

July 9, 2006 at 09:03 PM · AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zidane is the world's biggest idiot, we wouldv've won otherwise

life no longer worth living... imaging if violin competitions were like that...

July 9, 2006 at 09:05 PM · the Italian provoked him.... must have been really bad if someone like Zidane had reacted that way. Very sad, very sad.............

July 9, 2006 at 09:11 PM · Zidane's overreacted like this before...

Anyhow, it was an awesome game. Viva Italia!

July 9, 2006 at 09:11 PM · ..and too bad that this is the end of his career...

i would´nt want do be in his shoes now,i feel so sorry for him right now...

July 9, 2006 at 09:16 PM · I agree with Henry, what a game, sadly zidane was expulsed, Materazzi is a harsh player with obscure history, at last a inch was the only diference between two great teams, Viva Italia.

July 9, 2006 at 10:00 PM · Materazzi probably said he just s-----d Zidane's mother.

Materazzi is known for being a provoker of this sort of thing.

Nevertheless it was a great match.

July 9, 2006 at 10:10 PM · Well Italy got to wear the blue kit and they got to win.Why would someone with such a distinguished career as Zidane want to end in such a bad way.The cars are still tooting away outside I should think the party will carry on all night.Oleè,olè,olè,olè Italia

July 9, 2006 at 11:20 PM · The really sad thing is a head butt is such a sissy way to fight somebody, like pinching them or pulling hair. Now go turn some cars over you crazy Euros.

P.S. Welcome back, Sashenka. Please stay indoors the next few hours...

July 9, 2006 at 10:41 PM · Did you see that head butt...that was actually really impressive. I mean, I thought Zidane was into martial arts or something:).

July 9, 2006 at 10:43 PM · Jim are you kidding me? The head butt is about the most manly thing you can do to someone. That move was sick.

July 9, 2006 at 10:55 PM · All's well that ends well.

Zidane's penalty kick was off a non-existent foul (though there was a later one not called, so that's a wash); whether Italy was offside on their nullified goal is quite questionable.

Too bad about Zidane. He seemed like not only the best player out there but the classiest. France totally dominated the midfield and Zidane never dived, until he head-dived into that fellow's chest. Oh, well.

July 9, 2006 at 11:01 PM · Can't wait for the papers to print what Zidane has to say about what provoked him...

July 9, 2006 at 11:02 PM · ZZ

ZiZou

ZeeyouZoon

on Ziz Zite

ciao

Haj

July 9, 2006 at 11:23 PM · Gennady,

It doesn't matter what the Italian said to Zidane, that's all part of the game; head games. It just shows that the Italian was able to get the better of Zidane and Zidane is the poorer player for it.

It's the same with hockey (a game with which, as a Canadian, I am very familiar *grin*). On the ice it's not only about dominating the plays but about dominating the other team mentally/psychologically. If you can get the other team to pull a penalty on themselves, then you've won yourself some headway. It's all about talking s*** on the ice. In fact, it sounds awfully similar to the backstage talk I've heard in a couple competitions I've entered...

And perhaps some discussions I've read around here. :-O

One must ALWAYS keep their head about them. The moment you lose it, they win.

Preston

July 10, 2006 at 01:13 AM · yea Preston, except in hockey bashing someone's head in is part of the game.

July 10, 2006 at 03:59 AM · Well, yes and no.

The point in either case is to get the opponant to do something to draw a penalty/card.

July 10, 2006 at 04:57 AM · heh Preston, have you watched NHL or in fact, minor league hockey in the last 20 years?

In any case, barbarism aside, Zidane is currently being supported by the French media. It'll be interesting to see what La Monde will say tommorow.

July 10, 2006 at 05:55 AM · Preston, I disagree because that wasn't the only time he was provoked. He already had an injured shoulder and the Italians were playing extremely dirty, faking non stop and fouling most of which weren't called and the French were being crucified for every little foul or tough play. He just cracked under the pressure because of the buildup and I totally understand his situation, however it is really sad that he ended his great career in that way.

July 10, 2006 at 06:01 AM · Had France won all of that would have meant nothing. He simply couldn't stand the thought of losing and being laughed at by the Italians, so he threw in the towel early to save his pride (though he could have changed the outcome).

A very human thing to do, you can't blame him.

July 10, 2006 at 06:50 AM · Pieter,

Yes, I've been watching hockey probably longer than that (seeing that I'm 25) and that's why I back my statement. It's all about mind games...why do you think the Leafs put Tie Domi out so much? He got under people's skin and was able to draw penalties. Of course it backfired on him too (I think he had the most pentaly minutes of any Maple Leafer), but he was better at the mental part of the game than he was with the puck. He could draw pentalies and therefore powerplays.

Sports is just as much about the mental as it is about the physical, if not more at times.

Just like music.

Preston

July 10, 2006 at 07:20 AM · Fighting in hockey has been quite common so it can be hard to see how the penalty box/power plays actually fit into strategy. These mind games can play an important role in the game's outcome, although I doubt the players do it for that purpose alone, or even consciously for that reason. Perhaps that is why hockey has died as a popular national sport in the US...

July 10, 2006 at 08:21 AM · Preston...

the point is that in hockey, unlike pro soccer at that level, hurting people is actually part of the game. New Jersey had a play set up for about 2 years to faciliate Scott Stevens taking somebody out. He ended like 2 careers... hockey allows for a very visceral release of ones anger, whereas in soccer you have to restrain yourself. If you really hit someone hard the most you'll do is probably 2 minutes in hockey, whereas you'll get a red card in soccer.

July 10, 2006 at 08:37 AM · Preston is probably referring to hockey once upon a time, when sport was nice and clean... and used less protective gear.

Hockey evolved from the ancestor of soccer did it not?

July 10, 2006 at 10:54 AM · Hey preston, its that really the Vuillaume copy of paganini's violin that you play on? PAGANINI has touched your violin????!!!

July 10, 2006 at 01:56 PM · Who the hell cares? Preston Hawes touches it everyday. That violin's more sexified than the arc of the covenant.

July 10, 2006 at 03:24 PM · oh come on your making up words now :-(

July 10, 2006 at 07:50 PM · So the 'lads' have returned home to a raptuous

welcome.One thing I noticed during the world cup was that someone had bothered to teach them how to sing the national anthem.Other years they stood there looking disorientated this year they sang and immediatly gave the impression of being a team (the French did not sing).They have just sung beautifully fo Prodi (well within reason) but one could feel the passion.Viva la musica

July 11, 2006 at 07:26 AM · Pieter! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

My violin was not touched by Paganini but I'm pretty sure it's a copy of the Cannon. It was one of Vuillaume's favorite violins to copy. However, I think the label inside is actually a Del Gesu label, so perhaps he came across an unsalvagable Guarneri and copied it. I'm really not entirely sure.

Regarding hockey...anyone who doesn't think that mind games and pulling pentalties on the other team is not a part of the game any more really doesn't understand the game. Not a bit. I come from a "hockey family" and I understand the inside of the game. Trust me, mind games are just as much a part of it as the physical side.

Preston

July 11, 2006 at 04:59 AM · Materazzi called Zidane a dirty terrorist. That's extremely offensive, since he's Algerian and in France there's a lot of Arab racism and the like.

July 11, 2006 at 08:27 AM · Preston, we agree about the psychology of sport, but what I'm saying is that such tactics in soccer are not supposed to have violent manifestations, whereas in hockey you have that outlet.

Semantics. Fundamentally we're on the same page.

July 11, 2006 at 03:34 PM · With 2 billion people watching,Zidane`s butt will go down as one of the most stupid acts in sports history.It was calculated and inexcusable.I`ve read an article in French that ascribed the move to a rebellion against being an idol and controlling human emotions.

July 11, 2006 at 04:12 PM · Edwin,

Yes I can agree with that, but what if Enosh is right and Materazzi did call Zidane a dirty terrorist?!

Shouldn't they have tried to dwell a bit deeper before the expulsion?

If that was the case, they should have given Materazzi a RED Card as well don't you think?

July 11, 2006 at 05:20 PM · Physical violence trumps verbal insult in soccer.

July 11, 2006 at 05:29 PM · unfortunately in his case, it certainly did.........

July 11, 2006 at 05:35 PM · Pieter,

Agreed. The point of mind games in either game is to get the opponant to either go beyond the allowable "sportsmanship" or simply to bust their concentration.

July 11, 2006 at 06:01 PM · check out the latest youtube versions of the historic event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Rftjjfros&feature=Favorites&page=1&t=t&f=b

July 11, 2006 at 06:35 PM · I imagine all sorts of physical and verbal abuse go on all the time in these games,in various languages.Look at the abuse Jackie Robinson and Hank Greenberg had to endure in baseball without loosing their cool.The referee can only go by what he sees,so don`t be blatant if you`re going to react.

July 12, 2006 at 07:35 AM · So in which language did Materazzi call Zidane a 'dirty terrorist' which by the way is only the supposition of the English press (who have also suddenly become multi-lingual)

July 12, 2006 at 08:36 AM · janet... given the nature of W. Europe and it not being very large (and almost every "european" I know being highly competent in several languages), it's not outside the realm of possibility that he knew what was being said. Failing that, Italian isn't that far off from Spanish or French, so "terrorist" won't sound much different in any of the romantic languages.

July 12, 2006 at 10:37 AM · Zidane played in Italy some years ago, so I guess he speaks the language.

July 12, 2006 at 12:14 PM · exactly,

in fact Zidane was friends with the Italian goal-keeper when he played in Italy.

July 12, 2006 at 08:19 PM · Firslty let me assure you that most Italians are not in anyway multi lingual (and the English certainly aren't) ,that is a talent reserved for the Scandinavian countries and The Netherlands.Probably Zidane misunderstood in the heat of the moment what he thought was 'sporca terrorista' -dirty terrorist was infact'' sportivo terzino' which means sportive fullback

July 12, 2006 at 08:30 PM · and what makes you so sure that both did not exchange words in Italian for Zidane played several years in Italy.

In his early career, after spending four years with Bordeaux in France, he was transferred to Italy's Juventus F.C. for a fee of £3 million.

July 12, 2006 at 09:23 PM · I merely wondered which langusge was being spoken at the time.

July 12, 2006 at 10:58 PM · yea... the Italians are well known for spontaneously busting out the Cantonese.

July 12, 2006 at 10:58 PM · If I ever headbutt somebody now I have something to call it besides a headbutt.

July 13, 2006 at 07:49 AM · Anyway its official now.Materazzi insulted his mother and sister according to Zidane.According to Materazzi he said nothing at all.The games children play!! I remember an old playground saying 'sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'Zidane would have done well to have employed this adage.

July 13, 2006 at 08:23 AM · Sounds like maybe Vince McMahon was lurking behind the scenes.

July 14, 2006 at 08:18 PM · sportive fullback?!!! HAHAHAHAHA nice one

July 17, 2006 at 08:16 PM · The whole story just shows that Zidane thinks with his feet and plays with his head.

July 17, 2006 at 08:40 PM · In his post-soccer career Zidane should take up learning the violin, stomp with his feet and play with everything else.

Ciao

Hansjürgen

July 18, 2006 at 04:32 AM · Greetings,

I suspect the basis of the whole argument was that one uses a shoulder rest and the other does not,

Cheers,

Buri

July 18, 2006 at 05:24 PM · Or perhaps they were arguing over the use of vibrato in solo Bach.

July 19, 2006 at 06:49 AM · Nah,probably something much more banal like the use of finger tapes or not.

July 19, 2006 at 10:28 AM · LOL Buri

July 19, 2006 at 08:04 PM · despite what the whole world thought of Zidane's reaction, the French still love him and consider him one of their greats.

Same goes for Napoleon..............:)

July 24, 2006 at 08:56 PM · OK, what have we learned from this final?

1) That Itialian players talk a lot and some of it isn't nice (I knew that one already).

2) That sometimes people/players (even great ones) get mad and lose their cool and hurt their teams chance for victory (been there, done that).

3) The power of Cremona still is greater than Miricourt.

4) That Angelo was correct about who would win (remember that in 4 years when you need a prediction).

5) All in all, a very entertaining World Cup (unless you happen to be Brasilian).

July 25, 2006 at 04:28 AM · Absolutely was a memorable World Cup.

According to the French coach, they did not really lose.

Since the game ended in a tie (he explained) that kicking penalty shots for the Cup, is not exactly a great win for any team.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe