Ysaye sonata no.1

July 6, 2006 at 05:04 AM · hello all, just starting the Ysaye sonata no.1 "allegretto poco scherzoso" for an audition.

i was just wondering since it was written for Szigeti, of there were particular style things to do or to avoid.

thanks

Replies (3)

July 6, 2006 at 02:23 PM · Marianne:

The first step here is to make sure you have all the corrections to the first edition (Schirmer). Are you playing from the Henle? If not, I strongly recommend making the investment in that edition. There are still errors in the Henle, but most issues have been resolved from the first edition.

As for the movement (3rd) from Sonata No. 1 you mentioned you were studying, one thing to keep in mind is that the first section is repeated note-for-note later in the movement. (The form is A-B-A with a coda.) What is worth mentioning here is that in Ysaye's autograph manuscript, he marks a "D.C." after the "B" section (i.e., he does NOT write out the "A" section again--though it IS written out in the subsequent editions that exist). What is significant about this is that there are a few curious markings in the 2nd "A" section that make it different (a mordent here, etc.). You as the player must make a decision as to how you want to play these passages and whether or not to play them the SAME both times (as Ysaye likely intended).

There does not seem to be any intended performance practice related to Szigeti's playing, so one need not worry about this during preparation. It would be more appropriate to treat this sonata like a Bach sonata in it's execution.

Best,

Peter

July 6, 2006 at 07:21 PM · Marianne--

Forgive me but I can't help myself, try practicing in a phone booth.'running and ducking'

July 7, 2006 at 08:29 AM · huh!!???

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe