Is there such a thing as a 'musician's chair'?

July 3, 2006 at 01:17 AM · Okay, I've been having slight sore-back problems since I had babies (11-16 years ago)...if my chair is comfortable or if I can move around enough it's not an issue...

...however! When our orchestra ie. performing - that is, when I need to sit still and play for 1 1/2 - 2 hours my lower back just start to kill me! It can get so bad that I can barely focus on playing for the pain despite the constant fidgeting I do in my chair...

...does anyone else have this problem? I was also hoping someone might know of a musician's chair that is available...if I had the proper lumbar support in addition to a good seat (one that doesn't have an edge that angles upwards to cut off my circulation in my legs) I think I'd be fine...

Replies (9)

July 2, 2006 at 05:04 PM · ...btw, at home I practice standing up, so the back is not an issue, it's just at performances, and to a lesser extent at rehearsals...

July 3, 2006 at 01:27 AM · I use a round short chair similar to a drummer's throne which gives plenty of room to move around

and works well for me since I am short. I think I play better using it than in a normal chair. However there is no back support with this type of chair.

July 3, 2006 at 01:38 AM · Greetings,

you can buy ergonimic chairs for musicians in which you kneel to some extent. The main point is that your hips are higher than youe kness. Shar sells a musicians cushion that will help. You can also put wooden blocks under the back legs of the chair. I do this at all rehearsals.

In the meantime, Alexander lessons would be an expensive but very helpful investment,

Cheers,

Buri

July 3, 2006 at 02:03 AM · I have a wedge-shaped cushion with a hole cut out for the tailbone that I use for driving or sitting long periods of time... it has definitely made a difference for my posture and my back. I've seen other musicians carry them to rehearsals and concerts. The one I use can be found here. I think the one that Shar sells is very similar.

July 3, 2006 at 11:54 AM · some people in the symphony where I live use wedge shaped dark colored cushions in concerts. You could try one of those

July 3, 2006 at 02:53 PM · Before you buy a special chair, have you tried this?: Notice which way you face the music stand when seated. I've found that violinists will sometimes face the shirt buttons directly at the music stand. This causes a problem: After putting the violin in position, they twist the torso in order to see the music. They are sitting for two hours with a twisted torso. The solution is to face one's shirt buttons about 45 degrees to the right of the music. That way, when the violin is put in place, one is looking directly at the music without the twist.

July 3, 2006 at 03:38 PM · ...some very good suggestions...thank you all...I'll investigate those cushions, and check my body posture...I do know that I tend to twist my legs to the extreme right to alleviate the discomfort...as well as sit on the very corner of the chair...but this could be making it all worse too...

July 3, 2006 at 04:12 PM · Hi,

I have tried what is called a posture or kneeler chair to play the violin. You know the one you rest on your knees, there is no back. This is an absolutly fantastic chair to play the violin. The sensation of playing is exactly the same as playing standing up, the freedom to move your body is great, you don't have to seat at the tip of the chair in order to not rest your back on the back of the chair : these chairs force you to have a good posture as well, they are made for people with backache. An another great advantage for the violinists is that your right knee doesn't interfere with your bowing. Has anyone tried that?

July 3, 2006 at 05:28 PM · When I practice, I sit on a piano bench. Can't do this in orchestra, of course.

When I saw the Takacs SQ several years ago, Edward Dusinberre (violin I) used a piano bench instead of a chair.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe