Full size strings on a 3/4 size violin?

June 21, 2006 at 04:10 AM · I just went to the local violin shop to buy a set of spare strings for my son's new 3/4 size violin. They didn't have any in stock so he said I can use 4/4 size strings on it. Do they really fit on a 3/4 size? Or should I find right size strings? The shop is the only local violin shop in our area and we are leaving for a trip soon. I'm hoping the strings he has on his violin will hold up, but should something happens and if we have to put these full size strings, do you think it make it harder to play? Any advise will be appreciated.

Replies (5)

June 21, 2006 at 10:04 AM · They seem to work adequately.

June 21, 2006 at 11:57 AM · In our shop we frequently substitute 4/4 strings on 3/4 violins. Especially E strings. Many of the really good E strings only come in 4/4.

The guage is the same for 4/4 strings and 3/4 strings. I would suggest cutting about an inch off the top of the string so that you don't have too much wound around your peg.

Our experience has been you only really get into trouble if you put 4/4 strings on a small violin like say a 1/4 size. Then the guage of the 4/4 string isn't right.

June 21, 2006 at 07:00 PM · If any doubts, order them online from www.southweststrings.com. They have great prices and you can get a variety of strings in any size. They're the only place I'll buy from these days.

June 21, 2006 at 09:10 PM · Thank you guys for your advise. It made me feel better to know that 4/4 size strings will be fine. I'll make sure to bring a pair of scissors with me:) Melanie, unfortunately I don't think I have enough time to order online since we are leaving in one week, but I'll definitely check their site. Thank you so much again.

June 21, 2006 at 09:25 PM · well i have recently read that violin string makers often suggest that you use the size string that is made for your violin. I suppose thought that if that is all you are going to be able to get that should work.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe