Unaccompanied Canon in D

June 17, 2006 at 04:34 AM · Does anyone know of a good arrangement of Canon in D for unaccompanied violin? I know it's kind of hard to pull that off, but I play alot of weddings by myself, and would like to be able to add it to the list. (even though I'm sick of it)

Replies (11)

June 17, 2006 at 06:32 AM · You can make up your own strolling violin version for weddings.

Leave out the bass introduction and start right on the melody. 99% of the time, you only need to repeat the 8 bar melody over and over again to satisfy people. If you get tired of doing just that, play through the first two variations and no more. Most people, even classical audiences, don't recognize the "Kanon" past that point anyway.

If you want to up the difficulty level, play the entire melody in double stops.

June 17, 2006 at 07:10 AM · > If you want to up the difficulty level, play the

> entire melody in double stops.

That must be pretty difficult.....! like, play every note as a third interval within the D major scale? or .... *lower lip shaking* octaves?

June 17, 2006 at 08:51 AM · With practice, it's probably possible to do the first three variations by yourself. There highest interval is a 10th (F# on D, and the A above), but it probably wouldn't sound too bad with it as a third only.

It's not hard to make an arrangement yourself, just play what you want. You can skip out the variations you don't want to play (like the one with crotchet, crotchet-rest etc) but keep the more interesting ones. If you'd like, e-mail me and I'll create an arrangement for you. I'm happy to do it, but I only want to do it if it's going to get played. No point in spending my time on it if no-one wants it.

June 17, 2006 at 10:49 AM · I did that once with the Mendelssohn Octet. Man! Was I tired!

June 17, 2006 at 03:00 PM · Check out Ingolf Turbans arrangement of the wedding march for violin alone.

June 20, 2006 at 08:04 PM · Where can I find this arrangement? website?

June 20, 2006 at 08:08 PM · Ive never actually heard a good solo violin canon in D...

June 20, 2006 at 11:22 PM · I've made my own arrangement - but I'm not ready to publish it. Eventually I will, along with many other arrangements I've made.

July 5, 2006 at 02:14 PM · I've completed my arrangement of the Canon in D for solo violin, and would love to hear some comments from anyone who is interested in it.

Download it direct here or go to My Website.

You're free to perform it where you wish, just let me know where you're performing it (just nice to know that my work is getting performed).

July 5, 2006 at 03:39 PM · Well done Ben!

And thanks for sharing :)

July 5, 2006 at 11:04 PM · Ben, thank you so much. Great arrangement.

Cordially, Sandy

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe