Jose Da Cunha

June 16, 2006 at 06:05 AM · Does anyone know where this bow maker is living/working now? I had him do some repair and a rehair on my bow about 10 years ago, and to this day it's one of the best rehairs I've ever had. Just out of curiosity I was searching for him on google, and didn't come up with anything. He used to work out of NYC. Any info?

Replies (8)

June 16, 2006 at 02:37 PM · Best rehairs in the world!!!

I think he's in Florida now, but I don't know where :(

June 16, 2006 at 06:11 PM · Excuse my asking the question, but how can a rehair be as amazing as you people state?!

I've had a few bad rehairs, and that's annoying, but otherwise I find it's all about the same! If the hairs don't start falling out too soon and if the tension in the hairs is just about right, what else is there to it really?

I'm not very fussy about these things anyway!

June 16, 2006 at 06:20 PM · He does live in Miami. I believe his contact info is at AFVBM.com

To answer the previous question, a really good rehair involves choosing the right amount of hair based on the strength of the stick and getting the length just right as well. That and the quality of the hair itself can make a big difference in your tone and how your bow plays.

June 23, 2006 at 07:41 PM · I'd agree! He does a wonderful job with rehairs and I used to take my bow to him each year from Minneapolis to New York. I wish he was in Miami when I was playing in New World. My lucky collegues down there now get his services whenever they need. I'm jealous!

June 23, 2006 at 07:51 PM · Yes I also miss his rehairs from days in NYC.

He is also an award winning maker.

June 26, 2006 at 11:42 PM · Yes, Jose is currently in Miami, his shop number is listed and I have gotten through at (305) 270-3172.

September 27, 2008 at 03:33 PM · Jose 8281 SW 89th Street Miami, FL 33156 Voice/Fax (305) 270-3172.

September 29, 2008 at 10:19 PM · I have a friend here at IU that plays a viola bow of his. I am considering a bow by him but it would be nice to try one before hand. All I know is that my friend has nothing but amazing things to say about him.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe