Rosin question

June 12, 2006 at 01:45 AM · I'm very fond of the Pirastro Goldflex rosin that I have been using. However, I'm looking for something with a slightly stronger "grip" that will require less physical effort to produce a more powerful and crystal clear sound. Better solo projection is the aim. Also, less residue would be very nice.

[FYI #1: I use Evah Pirazzi strings.]

[FYI #2: I was dissatisfied with AB, Millant Deroux, Bernardel, Evah/Oliv, Obligato, and Tonica rosin because they do not give me the ease of power that Goldflex does.]

Replies (13)

June 12, 2006 at 06:31 AM · Greetings,

you might try Collophone -the one with gold flecks in it. It`s nteresitng. I am fidning Bernadel (one of my all time favorites9 is not working well on Dominants with this humidity in Japan.

Time for more spending I suppose...

Cheers,

Buri

June 12, 2006 at 08:39 AM · Rosin comes from mushrooms and fairy dust, someone nearby told me.... and then, if you take a 200 year old piece of wood and attach 4 strings to it, and do everything just right (very important) people will laugh or cry.

and you have to think positive thoughts when you play, or else the rosin goes away. =)

*turns around* Uncle Michael, i found an imp and he was very nice!

June 12, 2006 at 12:53 PM · oh dear, Eric ate some of his mushrooms by mistake...

June 12, 2006 at 02:59 PM · I know it's no longer available, but Tartini Solo might fit your needs. Very little dust, and very audible increase in sound. I have two bows and one was not rosined with Tartini Solo, the other was. I thought that one of the bows was just naturally quieter. Then one day I rosined it with Tartini Solo and both now draw the same amount of sound. Maybe you can get it off Ebay? I know some folks had been hoarding.

June 12, 2006 at 04:35 PM · Hi Neal,

This may sound odd but you might really like the Pirastro Cello Rosin. I was in the shop one day and was playing a bow that needed more rosin. I grabbed the first thing I saw in our collection of used rosins and it was Pirastro Cello rosin. After putting it on the violin bow I was very impressed with how the bow was performing. The cello rosin is a darker, softer rosin than the Goldflex. I also noticed that it had much less dust than the Goldflex. Cello rosin won't harm your instrument or bow at all - assuming that you don't go crazy applying rosin. The only rosin that could cause harm is bass rosin which you should avoid.

June 12, 2006 at 09:25 PM · Do they sell Jade rosin from L'Opera in the States? It seems to be fairly common among professional players here in Germany. I've used it with Evah Pirazzis and find it gives good sound and contact. Not too much dust either!

June 14, 2006 at 09:37 PM · Check out this site. I used to buy Tartini from them and I like it a lot. buyhttp://www.incredibow.com/tartini.htm

Leo

June 14, 2006 at 09:54 PM · I use Motrya rosin and it is awesome. I used to use Tartini (but not the solo one) and thought it was good until I tried Motrya. It has great grip, great sound, and little residue. You should try it. It also has gold in it.

June 14, 2006 at 10:06 PM · Yes, they sell Jade in the States. I've been using it for a couple of months now, and I think it's a good rosin. The rosin I was using before was awful. It's a new rosin by Thomastik called Dominant Rosin, and it's supposed to work well with Dominant strings. Well, it doesn't work well with any strings, let alone Dominants, because it's not a very good rosin. It has no grip at all. I'm much happier with Jade.

June 16, 2006 at 10:16 PM · I would definitely try and find the Tartini. I started using it about 1.5 years ago and haven't turned back since. It gives me a lot better response and sound than most other rosins ever did.

July 7, 2006 at 06:51 AM · motrya gold is the best rosin I have ever used, all the grip I would ever want, very complex broad, smooth tone that projects. I switched from Tartini solo becalse there out of production and I knew I would have to find another rosin eventualy some time in the near future. I wish I found Motra sooner, I thought Tartini was the best but there are a lot of lesser known brands. Any other great rosins hiding out there?

July 7, 2006 at 01:54 PM · Dance of Delight

(http://www.danceofdelight.com/)

still have some Tartini rosin left. They also are very competively priced and will deliver FREE WITHIN the EU.

They also have the Collophone Gold & Silver (which I bought on Buri's recommendation- thanks Buri, it is very good indeed!). It is also made by Millant -as is Jade- look at their site at

http://www.rosinmakers.com/

for the different Rosins they make.

July 16, 2009 at 07:11 AM ·

I agree with Enosh and Keith here, Motrya Gold is the best!  I wish too, I had discovered it sooner, I wouldn’t have kept searching for the perfect rosin tone.  I’ve tried many- too many brands, Korean Tartini/Andrea Bang and many European brands but I truly did find gold with Motrya, nothing else compares, its a lesser known brand and less expensive than Tartini.
It’s so smooth, produces alot less dust compared to others but the tone is powerful and clear, amazing projection. 

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe