What do people think of NEC??

June 2, 2006 at 09:50 PM · I'm going to be applying to some grad schools for violin performance next spring. I was considering auditioning at NEC. Does anyone have any comments about the conservatory?? I know they have some great professors there!

Rafe

Replies (16)

June 3, 2006 at 01:52 AM · That's Mr. Nec to you.

June 3, 2006 at 03:42 AM · Bravo, Pieter, for the wittiest and timeliest post I've ever seen on violinist.com.

June 3, 2006 at 03:57 AM · Getting back to the topic at hand NEC is a good music school, the facilities aren't all that great, the building is very small and needs a face lift certainly. Someone who attended NEC told me, practice rooms are hard to find. The teachers there are good, they are mostly from the Galamian mold.

June 3, 2006 at 01:22 PM · I've noticed that nobody has pointed out what "NEC" stands for on this thread yet.

For those that don't know, it's the "New England Conservatory", a famed music school in Massachusetts USA. Many great violinists have passed through that program.

If a person can get in and afford the immense yearly tuition, he should go.

June 3, 2006 at 01:43 PM · you mean "If a person can get in and afford the immense yearly tuition AND THE COST OF LIVING IN BOSTON, he should go."? ;)

June 3, 2006 at 02:05 PM · Cost of living in Boston isn't that bad compared to some other cities like New York, San Francisco and Seattle. Boston is a major college town, it is very transient, there are about 130 colleges in the Boston area alone. Another good school that is not mentioned enough is the Colburn School out in LA. I can see that place in 15 years becoming quite special, maybe perhaps even the premier music school in the country if they hire some more faculty, cause as we all well know, it is not the building or location that makes the school stand out, it is the faculty. With that said, I must point out Colburn's facilities are better than just about any other music school in this country.

June 3, 2006 at 02:03 PM · lol~ yeah, but nyc and sanfran are just ridiculous. i live in canadia, eh? and toronto rent is 550. and that's considered expensive to my montreal counterparts who pay around 250.

June 3, 2006 at 02:07 PM · re: colburn

i think it already is a really special place. i've seen so many truly gifted artists go there. also, i'm amazed at how down-to-earth the students there are. the psycho cut-throat competitiveness doesn't seem to exist there- maybe that's what california does to you.

June 3, 2006 at 04:56 PM · Weilerstein... that says it all.

June 3, 2006 at 05:47 PM · $250 in downtown montréal? If you find a decent appartment that cheap, you're very very talented indeed. =)

June 3, 2006 at 06:47 PM · Sharon I would be totally shocked if you could get an apartment here for $250....

Maybe in Hochelaga de Maisonneuve... which is like living in the projects.

June 3, 2006 at 09:43 PM · NEC is known I guess for giving alot of scholarship. They gave me 19,000 and I would probably be a less than average player there.

The conservatory building isnt so bad. The REALLY bad thing is the dorms. I guess the dorm building used to be like a mental institute back in the old days its pretty gross inside.

June 4, 2006 at 01:21 AM · Well Jordan, as James Jameson (famous Motown bass player) used to say: "The dirt keeps the funk"...

June 4, 2006 at 03:02 AM · It's Jamerson

June 4, 2006 at 05:49 AM · lol~ i'm being attacked by the montrealers!

my cellist lives in montreal, and her rent used to be $245. it went up by $5. she's within walking distance from mcgill, and her place is quite nice.

i can't believe how easy it is to get off topic~

June 4, 2006 at 10:29 PM · I went to NEC and graduated in 1999. It's a very small school with amazing teachers. When I was there, it was a highly politicized environment (like many conservatories). Basically, you represent your teacher in competitions, orchestra seating, and other events. This works for or against you, depending on your level of playing.

Once you are in a particular teacher's studio, he or she is basically your guardian. This also has its pros and cons, as it's very delicate to ask other teacher's for advice or help if you're not happy.

Nonetheless, Jordan Hall is amazing and many things have changed since I graduated.

Also - living around NEC is terribly expensive. The landlords know that only students would want to live there so they rack up the prices and you're left with mice and roaches. In that area, if you can afford to pay more, do it - you'll get a better place.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe