Is The Ultimate Collection of Violin Sonatas CD worth getting?

June 2, 2006 at 09:49 PM · Is this CD worth getting? It has basically all the common and uncommon violin sonatas and I like the idea of it being way cheaper and taking up less space than buying all the published music. Does anyone know which edition the sonatas are? It's put out by Theodor Presser. I'm just hoping to get some feedback on this. Thanks in advance!

Replies (8)

June 3, 2006 at 12:16 AM · The CD has quite a large collection on there, 37 composers, 138 Sonatas (Although Bach's S&P are presented in Urtext and edited, and there is the 3rd Partita with piano accompaniement for some reason).

The editions I've found are ok, but like most things you end up changing a lot of things, sometimes almost scrapping the fingerings and putting your own in.

Remember that these types of things use Editions that are out of copyright, so the composer will have had to been dead for 80 years, and the edition that they copy has to be older than 25 years.

June 3, 2006 at 12:39 PM · I like the idea of zillions of sonatas on one CD, but wouldn't it be a bit of a hassle to print out all that music?

Of course, nobody is going to print out every single sonata. But say you're playing the Beethoven "Spring" sonata. Most violinists are going to want to print out the violin part, which is several pages long. Then you have to print out the piano part which is at least twice as many pages. Oh, and don't forget to print those pages double sided since sheet music is designed to minimize page turns in inconvenient places. Add up all the time it takes to print and then bind up a work for performance and you're talking a few hours at least.

I remember thinking about all of this when I saw that CD years ago, and that's why I didn't get it at the time. I'll still probably pick it up eventually, but I am very conscious of the logistics factor. Just because it's on computer doesn't mean it's necessarily easier to handle.

June 3, 2006 at 02:35 PM · I have it and I like it. I can try a piece without investing heavily in the printed version. I can even sight-read it on the computer screen. Double sided printing is not necessary as you can present the part to the pianist in a binder with clear plastic sheets. You can put an entire recital together in a single binder, changing order or pieces as you like. If you use it enough, even given the cost of ink, paper, and wear and tear on your printer, it's dirt cheap.

June 3, 2006 at 04:49 PM · This is a very useful and inexpensive cd. The editions of romantic works are good, but I would not use for instance the highly edited Beethoven sonatas, but spring for a bound urtext edition. as a teacher I find it useful since I can print up a movement for a student to try out a piece before they buy the music (or buy the cd). There are also a number of lesser known but good sonatas such as Janacek, Busoni, Dohnanyi, etc. The cd's of violin methods and studies and standard violin concertos are also useful. For chamber music the Brahms and Beethoven string quartets are pretty good editions. I would not recommend the cd with Haydn and Mozart chamber works. The editions are not good.

June 3, 2006 at 05:00 PM · Hello,

You cant go wrong with this CD. It is inexpensive and has most of everything that you will need for awhile in the way of sonatas.

It is easy to use and you can print out what you need for a concert. I read from the computer screen for the most part.

I wish they would make more of these kind of sheetmusic CD's.

June 3, 2006 at 11:12 PM · It definitely has a large selection of sonatas, but the problem is that you have to print them. You could print them and then transfer them to nice engraver paper and have them bound, but by that time it would have been cheaper all round to buy the publisher sheet music edition.

Summary: The CD is great but you will end up with thousands of papers lying around.

June 4, 2006 at 12:38 AM · Or you could simply file them away when not in use.

For that matter, for a few bucks you can have any set spiral-bound at a copy shop if you like.

For someone building a library from scratch it's not a bad place to start.

June 4, 2006 at 11:49 AM · I have the sonatas CD, the concertos CD, and a CD with oodles of violin studies. Not being a professional musician, I have no idea about the editing. But the nice thing about them is that you don't have to print a whole sonata, for example. You can print just specific pages you want to study.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe