How do you love the violin?

May 29, 2006 at 06:13 PM · I suppose that violin is something that it must be loved. Say in just a few words how you love the violin. Maybe it sounds a bit childish, but is not. i am just intersted in sincere and deep feelings and thoughts. Please do not write more than a few words !!!

Replies (48)

May 29, 2006 at 10:45 PM · Greetings,

my first wife once said to me `Buri, you love the violin mor e than me.`

I thought about it for about 1 second and then responded `Yes. that appears to be true.`

It probably wasn`t a good move...

Cheers,

Buri

May 29, 2006 at 11:41 PM · Buri, yikes!

MG

May 29, 2006 at 11:59 PM · Gosh, how can you begin to say how much you love the violin? I suppose one of the most special things to me is that through it I can say things—important things—that words just can't express as well.

May 30, 2006 at 12:05 AM · I love the violin--yeah, like a slave loves its master! Off to finish practicing. ;)

May 30, 2006 at 01:15 AM · Aww, nevermind, I was only being sarcastic there....I love my violin, really I do. It's just kind of a strange relationship. We alternate between fighting bloodthirsty duels, and singing love songs to each other. :) I swear that thing has a mind of its own...

May 30, 2006 at 02:15 AM · I love violin and orchestral music about 99% as much as i love guitars and heavy metal =)

May 30, 2006 at 02:33 AM · words can't express how i feel about my violin - unless they're swear words.

May 30, 2006 at 03:21 AM · The violin speaks for me when my actions and words cannot.

May 30, 2006 at 03:06 AM · As much as life its self.

As Albert Einstein said-"Notebook, food, drink & violin. What else does a man need to be happy?

May 30, 2006 at 04:27 AM · his playing was awful. I wonder what his cooking was like? Relatively speaking....

May 30, 2006 at 06:18 AM · ca c'est un vrai blue eric mon tabarnack... iron maiden caulisse.

May 30, 2006 at 07:31 AM · Mine is more of a love-hate relationship, and probably because of that, the passion is more intense than just a love relationship?

Nonetheless, I treat my violin as my most valuable possession. Everyone seems to get sick of seeing me with my violin all the time and everywhere I travel.

Its bed (the violin case) is almost twice more expensive than my own! I can't wait to celebrate it's 100th birthday in the year 2010!

May 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM · Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate:

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:

Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,

And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;

And every fair from fair sometime declines,

By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:

But thy eternal Summer shall not fade

Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;

Nor shall Death brag thou wanderest in his shade,

When in eternal lines to time thou growest:

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,

So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

-------------------------------------------------

I was just doodling and I came up with this to describe how I love my violin :P

May 30, 2006 at 01:34 PM · I don't love her, but when I accidentally bump into her I listen to what she has to say sometimes.

May 30, 2006 at 01:26 PM · Someone famous (I forgot who...sorry) once said: "Had I learned to play the violin, I would have done nothing else." And he wasn't even a violinist.

I have always loved the violin, ever since I can remember. Whatever I am doing and wherever I am, if there is a violin playing, part of my brain focuses in on it. When I'm not thinking about other things, classical music is running through my mind, and most of the time it's violin music. Call me in love with it. Call me obsessed by it. Call me a cab.

May 30, 2006 at 03:42 PM · Nice touches Pieter and Larry ;)

Larry I have a sneaking suspicion that your little sonnet was actually Shakespearean sonnet 116 ...but maybe I'm just fooling myself.

How much do I love my violin? It is literally my third arm. If I am caught anywhere without out it I'm usually in a state of panic trying to figure out why I left it at home and feeling utterly exposed and vunerable to the world.

May 30, 2006 at 03:52 PM · Yeah, I think so too.

May 30, 2006 at 04:22 PM · I would rather compare my violin to a child. Firstly because making it obey and learn good manners is a hard thing to do. Secondly because once you have learned it good manners, you are proud of it and want to show it to other people. And thirdly: you really love it as a unique being and care about it all the time.

May 30, 2006 at 06:35 PM · ça s'écrit "tabarnac" pas "tabarnack", osti !! =)

(speaking of good manners *duck*)

May 30, 2006 at 06:53 PM · I don't have the time necessary to devote to such a "high maintenance bird" - that's why generally I stick to viola.

May 30, 2006 at 07:38 PM · eric... what can you expect... I'm just a bloke/tete caree

May 30, 2006 at 09:47 PM · I sometimes look at my violin just before going to bed, give a slight sigh....then push the case under the bed.I need help!

May 30, 2006 at 11:38 PM · I often let my violin(s) fight for my attention and when I finally pick one to play for the while, the others punish me for the favoritism by being difficult. They really do have their own unique personalities -- but how can one really love one child over the other....

May 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM · I sometimes look at my violin just before going to bed

Thats kind of like me....... except then I take my violin TO bed......

Thats where I take off his G string and and fondle his tail piece ;)

May 31, 2006 at 01:35 AM · Now, now. Before we get too deeply into discussions of f-holes and fingerboards and up-and-down strokes, just take a deep breath, relax, and say to yourself, "this is not about base sexuality. This is an exciting, highly sophisticated art form that excites the mind and the senses." On second thought....

May 31, 2006 at 04:00 AM · How to describe the love of my violin... The same way you describe the love of a tempermental three year old who is screaming at its mother in the grocery store check out for candy...

May 31, 2006 at 04:28 AM · lol the violin is just as high pitched and whiney, if not more, as that little kid

May 31, 2006 at 05:01 AM · the poem is the sonnet 18 by william shakespear... anyway i love my violin so much until one day without practicing will drives me mad hehe :)

May 31, 2006 at 05:40 AM · Ah yes, thanks Azam. I have to have 29,116, and 130 memorised for my English Literature course (you can tell I've started on that ;) but I think as part of a poetry anaylsis thing we must have done No.18 because it's super familiar and I can remember having to write a paper on it.

Anyways, I need to go and read my violin a bedtime story and then go to bed. :)!

June 1, 2006 at 03:28 AM · My violin eases my burdens when not raising my pressure, soothes my soul when not confusing my middle-aged brain.

June 1, 2006 at 05:43 AM · My violin(s) are my pets since I'm allergic to cats and dogs. I'm always wanting to adopt another one. Waving a violin under my chin is like dangling a bottle of rum in front of an alcoholic. It's better than being an old lady with a house full of cats. Violins don't shed.

June 1, 2006 at 03:41 PM · you're welcome.. wow kelsey!! you have to memorised all that? :0

June 1, 2006 at 04:22 PM · Yes, ah the joys of English Lit... I know what the subject matter of each one is (which is the most important aspect but we do have to have at least portions of the text from each memorised for the big exam that happens shortly) and the 116 one is very idealistic which is why I for some reason associated it with the one posted by Larry.

June 7, 2006 at 05:00 PM · The violin is basically my best friend=)

June 7, 2006 at 05:53 PM · Don't believe the rumors you've heard. My violin and I are just good friends.

July 11, 2006 at 01:46 PM · thats awful buri!! :-)

hmmmm.....words to describe it.... very tough....i love it more than anything else, its so much more than a material possesion, i dunno, normally when i get stuck 4 words like the this I let the violin speak for me! :-)

July 11, 2006 at 06:51 PM · When my violin and I are apart there is only silence.

When we are together miracles happen.

July 11, 2006 at 08:41 PM · I don't understand the question. That's like asking - how do you like your leg or your arm or your eyes. It's part of my body and it's impossible to imagine a life without it.

July 11, 2006 at 11:06 PM · Greetings,

I spent a numbe rof years not playing and at the end of that perios I found myself walking down the street not only singing violin concertos full blast but actually raising my arms and staring to play them. People thought I wa smad. After relearning the instrumetn everybody knows I am mad,

Cheers,

Buri

July 12, 2006 at 12:54 AM · The violin has brought me more joy - and suffering - than anything else in my life.

July 12, 2006 at 03:55 AM · Greetings,

even violinist.com?

Cheers,

Buri

July 12, 2006 at 11:39 PM · I feel just like Kevin.........

July 13, 2006 at 02:56 PM · "Whatever I am doing and wherever I am, if there is a violin playing, part of my brain focuses in on it"

I almost agree with that Sandy, only I'd say all my brain focuses on it and I'm enticed away from whatever it is I am doing ... I love playing it, reading anythin connected with it ... my name is... and I'm a serious addict/mad/in love...

And if I didn't have to lock it away somewhere a curious toddler cannot reach standing on a chair, I would play it even more ...

July 30, 2006 at 01:47 PM · It is like another dimenssion where you can always escape and find your truth in it, the one thing that never dissapoints you.

July 30, 2006 at 02:26 PM · Violin will never dump me or arrange to meet me and turn up late.....hehe

July 30, 2006 at 06:23 PM · My violin also speaks for me. yesterday it was cussing a blue streak so badly U.S. Sailors were blushing. Today my baby is better behaved.

July 30, 2006 at 07:07 PM · ...love it so much that at times it's driven my other three ladies - wife plus two daughters - a little jealous.

cheers, Hansjürgen

August 3, 2006 at 10:55 AM · Wow, now i know i'm not the only one being madly in love with a violin... But tell me, am i the only one that actually hug and kiss the instrument once in a while? I give them names.. to me an instrument is like a man, i could never give it a female name, no, cus i'm a woman and it is for sure a man!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe