Beethoven's Romance in G

May 24, 2006 at 06:58 PM · hi.

I've played Beethoven's Romance in G,op 40 and I felt and I believe that it is a glorious,beautiful,violinistic work which is in no way 'inferior' to the Romance in F.Why is it that it is played less often than the Romance in F at concerts?

AN

Replies (17)

May 24, 2006 at 07:14 PM · My guess that the G major Romance is played less frequently is the double stops. beyond that you're quite right --it's glorious.

May 25, 2006 at 12:42 AM · The F major is prettier.

May 25, 2006 at 02:08 AM · The F Major is played more frequently because I like it better.

May 25, 2006 at 06:00 AM · When I play the F major Beethoven Romance, I think of the violin as being a teasing flighty pretty girl and the accompaniment as being this portly overweight guy who can't quite keep up with her sprightly whims.

May 25, 2006 at 05:44 PM · Milstein, are you sure about that?? LOL

May 25, 2006 at 06:52 PM · Haha Kevin that's great! :)

May 25, 2006 at 06:56 PM · rather interesting..

will give that imaginative part of it a go next time

;)

AN

May 26, 2006 at 04:32 PM ·

May 27, 2006 at 07:56 PM · Check out the Vieuxtemps edits of both of the Romances, this might renew excitement in the pieces.

May 27, 2006 at 09:43 PM · It's true, I played a competition once where in the finals all six of us had to play one of the two romances. Score: F Major 5, G Major 1 (wasn't me) I know which one I would rather start!

May 14, 2011 at 02:43 AM ·

I'm working on both at the same time.  Its obviousl that neither is better!   I love the first one for its delicious double stop sequences, surely there are no better, and the second for its engaging theme.

I do have a complaint though.  What was Beethoven thinking of when he wrote the orchestration for the G?  Its heavy, laborious and tedious.  Oddly, the theme that the flute plays is gorgeous - but it should be handed back to the violin - its given in my score so when I practice I routinely play the flute part to make it more of a violin solo....

Perhaps I'm alone on this....

May 14, 2011 at 07:26 AM ·

I have always preferred the G, to me there was no hesitation and I could never understand why it is so 'underrated' meaning exactly what the poster said: why is it played less often!

May 15, 2011 at 01:49 PM ·

It is a little known fact that the reason Beethoven wrote two Romances was because the first one didn't work!

May 15, 2011 at 02:25 PM ·

Art - you know that op 50 was written before op 40? :)

Jon - You made me curious, care to share? :-)

May 15, 2011 at 08:45 PM ·

[Jon posted in 2006 - I dug up the topic... ;) ]

May 16, 2011 at 03:35 AM ·

oops.... But I am still curious :)

May 16, 2011 at 05:42 AM ·

we could try to poke him... send him an V.com message.... who knows, maybe he's a professor of music, specializing in romantic romances by now? :D

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe