Who is Thomas Furi?

May 21, 2006 at 05:57 AM · Can anyone tell me anything about Thomas Furi? Or, point me to a website? Thanks.

Replies (6)

May 21, 2006 at 09:02 AM · I could have sworn this said "Toni Furman" instead of Thomas Furi.

May 21, 2006 at 04:21 PM · Thomas Fueri is an excellent chamber music leader from Europe.

When I first saw him 10 years ago, I couldn't help thinking "Gosh, this guy reminds of Al Bundy from Married With Children". He even had some of the same feisty personality, especially in regards to the contemporary players that he was NOT fond of.

I can't remember the name of the group he appeared with, but it was some top level European chamber orchestra. The next season, the same group returned but he wasn't there. The harpsichordist of the group lamented that "We've had a lot of changes, unfortunately".

I don't know of his whereabouts right now, but he's certainly capable of working in any chamber orchestra or group. I couldn't imagine him being a soloist of reknown, but I've been wrong about a lot of things.

post-edit: OK, now I remember the group he was the concertmaster of. It was "Camerata Bern" from Switzerland. They were absolutely fabulous.

May 21, 2006 at 10:34 PM · "Thomas Füry is a soloist in the ARIA Quartet, Basel and a teacher at the ‘Hochschule für Musik Basel’ (Basel School of Music). He was born into a musical family in the year 1974 in Bern and studied with his father Erich Füry, Max Rostal at the ‘Hochschule für Musik Bern’ (Bern School of Music) and Ivan Galamian at the Juilliard School in New York. After seven years as a concert master in Koblenz (Germany), Lausanne and Basel (1973-80) Thomas Füry became the leader of the renowned ‘Camerata Bern’ and remained so for fourteen years (1979-93). During the years 1980 to 1991 Thomas Füry taught at the Music schools of Winterthur and Zurich. From 1985 until 2000 he performed as the standing violinist with the quintet ‘I Salonisti’ (which became famous through the film Titanic!). His CD and LP recordings are numerous on such labels as DGG, EMI, Decca, Denon, Erato, Novalis etc. In 1993 Thomas Füry received the music prize offered by the canton of Bern, he plays a violin from G.B.Guadagnini / Parma 1761 (Viola G.B.Gabrielli / Firenze 1761)."

May 22, 2006 at 12:37 AM · Thanks! I had to translate his name. I have a CD that came with a book for all Kreutzer scores, but all annotated in Chinese. Fuery plays each piece, accompanied by piano. The technical excellence and violin sound led me to be certain the player was excellent, if not famous.

June 13, 2006 at 11:47 AM · I accompanied as member of the Akademisches Orchester Zuerich in 1983 the swiss violinist Thomas Füri as soloist in the Beethoven concerto. Fine player and modest personality. He also tries his hand at conducting.

June 16, 2006 at 08:48 AM · Thanks to all.

Correction: the cd I have is Fuery playing Kreisler complete collection, not Kruetzer.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe