Mozart cadenza

May 19, 2006 at 03:54 PM · hi..

which is the cadenza most appropriate for Mozart Violin concerto No:3?I read in a magazine that the Franko cadenza was sort of 'outdated'.Are there other interesting alternatives to it?

Thanks

Replies (31)

May 19, 2006 at 03:58 PM · How about making up your own cadenza?

That's what Joshua Bell did, and he did a great job of it.

May 19, 2006 at 04:22 PM · See if you can find Oistrakh's cadenzas. I found those to be quite tasteful. I know you can find a recording of him doing the 5 concertos for about 14 dollars. I think the cadenza is published by Edition Peters.

May 19, 2006 at 06:20 PM · I remember liking the Ysaye one, but at the time I was learning that piece all I could play was the Auer. Blech...

May 19, 2006 at 06:27 PM · i THINK that Stravinsky wrote cadenzas to each of the Mozart concerti....

May 19, 2006 at 06:57 PM · Whoa! Not sure I want to know what that sounds like! :)

MG

May 19, 2006 at 07:02 PM · The Ysaye is a pretty fun cadenza. Not one if you're just starting the Mozart, but a good one none the less. I don't really like his cadenzas for the last two movements, though (mainly for the second movement).

May 20, 2006 at 08:05 AM · any idea where the Auer cadenzas are available?

AN.

May 20, 2006 at 11:49 AM · Hi,

Well, the Franko cadenza has been around for a long time, probably because it is good (like the Joachim for the 4th and 5th concertos). However, yes, it is romantic. Both the Ysa├┐e and Auer would fall into that category. More into the style and perhaps more with a touch of authenticity are the cadenzas by Franco Gulli. I don't know if they are still available, but all are excellent, different, and written with a style and technique more acquine to the rest of the concertos' material. Worth checking out.

Cheers!

May 21, 2006 at 06:53 PM · I played the Ysaye cadenza.It's fun, but it's also really long and kinda hard.

If you are planing to play Mozart for a competition, DON'T. Judges are so picky with Mozart, and each one has a different viewpoint on how Mozart should sound.

May 21, 2006 at 09:40 PM · Try Levin's. It's an edition with Kremer's face on it, can't miss it. Many different versions in there, something to base your own cadenzas on perhaps?

IG

May 22, 2006 at 11:22 AM · IG - Do you do your own?

May 22, 2006 at 01:25 PM · yes

IG

May 22, 2006 at 02:23 PM · Can we hear them?

May 22, 2006 at 02:57 PM · IG - I am glad to hear! :)

May 22, 2006 at 03:03 PM · i suppose you could if you heard me live. I never use the same cadenza twice

IG

May 22, 2006 at 03:58 PM · How does that work? You improvise them? (Where are you playing in the next few months anyway?)

May 22, 2006 at 10:33 PM · I compose them the day of the concert

IG

May 22, 2006 at 10:48 PM · Wow, very cool! Hopefully I'll hear one of those someday. :)

May 23, 2006 at 09:27 AM · i believe compsing at short notice does give music a sense of spontanity..will try it out soon:)

May 23, 2006 at 10:35 AM · IG - are they in the "autentic mood" or do you dare to experiment with more modern colors?

May 23, 2006 at 05:20 PM · I've tried "modern colors" but was never convinced - they don't help cadenzas to become integral part of the whole, I don't think...

IG

May 23, 2006 at 05:48 PM · Now I want to pick up Mozart 5 again, just to try writing a cadenza! :) Ilya, a bit off-topic here but have you heard Maxim Vengerov's cadenza to the Beethoven? Just curious, what do you think of it?

May 23, 2006 at 10:48 PM · haven't heard, but I think they are wonderful

IG

May 23, 2006 at 11:38 PM · Huh? You haven't heard them but like them anyway? :)

I just listened to the Schnittke cadenza to the Beethoven, where he mixes a fairly ordinary Beethoven cadenza with 20th-century harmonies and quotes from Berg, Bartok, Shosti and Brahms, and puts the timpani in towards the end.....it's quite strange but I have to say I LOVE it!! It's like a glimpse into a whole other future world in the middle of this gloriously classical-romantic work. When the drama of the 20th century melts back into Beethovenian elegance at the end of the cadenza, it is a fantastic effect!! I'm the first to say it's totally crazy, but there's just something irresistably neat about it. :)

May 24, 2006 at 02:12 AM · I made up a bluegrass, jazz, hungarian, and a hebrew cadenza's for mozart 5 lol. The best part about mozart is you get your own cadenza's. I dont want to get flamed or anything but I dont hold much respect for people who dont play their own (when it comes to mozart obviously concertos according to a different time and different form dont apply)

May 24, 2006 at 02:52 AM · Wow, that must be some cadenza. I would write my own (more in a classical style for mozart lol) but I don't have the time or the talent. :(

May 24, 2006 at 11:01 AM · hi..

i did 'compose' my own cadenza for the concerto over the last few nights..it wasn't that awful except for the fact that it did sound like sibelius at times..hopefully it will improve as the first try wsn't bad. ;-)

but how does a blugrass cadenza sound after Mozartian music?that was interesting....

AN.

May 24, 2006 at 01:25 PM · Anisha wrote: "I read in a magazine that the Franko cadenza was sort of 'outdated'."

Anisha,

Don't believe everything you read in a magazine. The Franko cadenza is beautiful! Trust your own perception.

May 24, 2006 at 05:11 PM · true,magazines ought not to be taken for granted sometimes.I do like the Franko cadenza very much ,but I would like to play a cadenza that sounds sort of period authentic..just like that..i tried one like that by doing one of my own that wasn't too bad..and felt it gives a different feel to it.

AN

May 26, 2006 at 11:24 PM · szering has too

May 27, 2006 at 06:26 PM · try the oistrakh cadenzas...they are quite technical, and the 2nd mvt cadenza is very beautiful. you can get it with the Peters edition

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe