Etude editions

May 15, 2006 at 08:08 AM · Can anyone advise which are the preferred editions of the most popular etudes and caprices? Most copies I have seen have been "re-edited".

I have:

** Kreutzer (Edition Peters, edited by Hermann)

** Fiorillo (CF Peters, edited by Fr. Hermann

** Rode (edited by Emil Kross)

My only concern would be whether the fingerings, bowings and other editorial improvements are no longer in vogue, or have altered the original too much etc. The preface to the Rode especially indicates some potentially significant changes.

Equally however, they may be invaluable additions... Maybe the editorial details don't even matter (give or take)... Comments appreciated.

Replies (6)

May 15, 2006 at 08:15 AM · I like the $5 Kreutzer Schirmer edition because it's CHEAP.

The fingerings and bowings I always end up changing anyway, especially since I usually have more than one fingering or bowing for certain licks depending on my need.

As long as I feel I'm getting the notes out and feeling the music when I'm playing, I don't "stickle" anymore on editions since I change them to my own anyway.

May 15, 2006 at 09:51 AM · lol! I still have my mom's old Dont etude book that she got in the 70's. It's a Polish edition, and I can't read anything in it, But it still does the job.

May 15, 2006 at 02:08 PM · The International edited by Galamian editions of all these are excellent. If you want to save money get the CD Sheet Music Violin Methods/Studies. This has much of the standard etude material on a CD from which you can print parts. It includes Kreutzer, Rode, Dont, Fiorillo, Schradieck, Sevcik, Viuxtemps, DeBeriot, Dancla, etc., etc. Enough etude material to last you 1000 years. Retail price is about $18.

May 15, 2006 at 02:22 PM · SheetMusic also has a CD of concertos and a CD of sonatas - tons of music.

May 15, 2006 at 10:49 PM · Greetings,

is Bruce said, you can`t go far wrong with the Galamian editions of Kreutzer and Dont. I suggest you do a search of old The Strad articles. there was one a few uears back on the Kreutzer etude sand their edititing which was rather interesting. I can dig out the edition some time if you can@T find it.

But, I have to confess I don`t use Galamian so much anymore for the Dont. I developed a strong preference for the verison by Max Rostal. It is veyr detailed and includes -very- helpful practice techniques. One can lean a lot about left hand tehcnique from the way he fingers etudes.His concerto editionsare also excellent.

Cheers,

Buri

May 16, 2006 at 03:54 AM · As of the last 5 years, I've been reading Paganini Caprices and Bach S/P from copies of the original handwritten manuscripts.

The Galamian version of the Bach features a photo facsimile of the entire works. Similarly, I think it's Axelrod's "Paganini" book that features a copy of all 24 Paganini Caprices.

I willingly weather through the handwritten manuscripts because it makes me feel more in tune with the ethos of the times in which the music was written. Even if those manuscripts were handwritten by copyists, I still feel as if my playing is more authentic if I'm reading from a handwritten score.

I guess it's like handwriting a letter to your girlfriend instead of sending an e-mail to her inbox.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe