Recording of Beethoven Concerto

May 14, 2006 at 03:06 AM · Does anyone have a suggestion for a recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto? I'm just starting this piece and am looking for an inspiring recording!

Daniel

Replies (20)

May 14, 2006 at 02:27 PM · You're going to get a million responses here. I love most of them - Heifetz, Oistrakh, Hahn, Kreisler, and on and on. All different, all great.

However, my personal favorite is Zino Francescatti, Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra, a Biddulph CD, originally recorded in 1950 in one take. He plays the Kreisler cadenza. Great performance, straightforward, clean, passionate, from the heart, elegant and simple, and at a perfect tempo, great ensemble with the orchestra (Ormandy was a violinist).

Check out a previous discussion thread entitled, "I hate to beat an old warhorse to death"

May 14, 2006 at 04:40 PM · I also would like to mention Kresiler and Neveu.

May 14, 2006 at 08:41 PM · There is an interesting book about Beethoven's Violin Concerto, which I'm reading right now. I'll check later by who. One chapter mentions (and describes) all main interpreters of the concerto from Franz Clement onwards, including the recordings.

You might not only like to listen to an inspiring recording, the book could inspire you as well.

May 14, 2006 at 10:05 PM · One word : Menuhin

May 14, 2006 at 10:13 PM · What do you guys think of Vengerov's new recording (aside from Rostropovich's tempi)?

May 14, 2006 at 10:27 PM · Blaming the parts you don't like on somebody else, now there's a fan!

May 15, 2006 at 12:05 AM · Ouch, Jim, what the hell is that supposed to mean. Every critic I've read complains about ROSTROPOVICH's tempi and not Vengerov's.

May 15, 2006 at 12:55 AM · I agree with Sander. I am a huge fan of that recording and many others too. I feel he is kind of underated among the giants. His Paganini Concerto is amazing as well as his Beethoven, Franck, Ravel Sonatas...the list goes on and on.

May 15, 2006 at 03:15 AM · How does Menuhin's later recording with Furtwangler compare with the one from the Lucerne Festival? I also like his 60s recording with Silvestri; it has the best sound quality and his playing of the second movement is amazing.

May 15, 2006 at 04:30 AM · All three of the Menuhin Beethoven recordings are quite good. I've always been partial to the live recording. It sounds more spontaneous. Also, the fact that it was performed live (no splicing, retakes, etc.) makes it quite impressive, in my opinion.

May 15, 2006 at 08:19 AM · Bronislaw Huberman has a surprisingly score-adhering version of the concerto, so much so that it sounds eccentric to modern critics. That's as "straight" a recording as one is going to find of this work.

I loved the way he emphasized the boom-boom-boom-boom rhythm in the first movement.

My only beef was that he seemed as if he were trying too hard to play in tune and thus sounded a bit inhibited. Then again, his technique was often held against him by critics. Huberman can hardly be blamed for trying to make a "perfect" recording of this work - doesn't everybody else aim for the same goal?

I play this work on baroque tuning, as that's the timbre which the piece was written for.

May 15, 2006 at 08:54 AM · Checked the author of that book: Robin Stowell

May 15, 2006 at 09:31 AM · Vengerov-Rostro - Unbelievably slow.

I listened to it and did not buy it on my shopping trip to Singapore.

Bought: 1) Perlman - Encores 2 vol EMI

2) Busoni - VC & VS 2 (FP Zimmermann)

3) RB Pine - Scottish Fantasies (Cedille)

4) Paganini - VC 1 & 2 (Shmuel Ashkenasi)

5) Shos 1 & Proko 1 (Sarah Chang)

6) JS Bach VCs (Suwanai)

7) Rare Milstein - Brahms VC (Fistoulari)

& Bruch 1 (Barzin)

May 15, 2006 at 02:31 PM · I love the Kreisler/Blech performance of the Beethoven and Anne Sophie Mutter's early recording from her teens.

May 16, 2006 at 11:09 AM · nobody's mentioned Zehetmair/Brueggen. I am retiring from this board.

IG

May 16, 2006 at 12:51 PM · http://www.careermotiv8.com/violin-concerto.html

A rave review for the Francescatti-Ormandy version.

I'm thinking of getting it myself.

May 16, 2006 at 01:29 PM · There is a particularly fine--and famous--recording by David Oistrakh with Andre Cluytens. Another fine recording is Grumiaux' with Alceo Galliera. Both use the Kreisler cadenzas.

May 16, 2006 at 02:09 PM · Thanks for your input guys! I'm happy to have a few choices now. I currently own a Heifetz recording and one with Zimmerman playing, which I find uninspiring, personally. I'll check out your suggestions!

Daniel

May 17, 2006 at 04:57 PM · Whoops...posted on the wrong board...and it won't let me delete my post!

May 18, 2006 at 10:02 AM · Kogan's is very dear to me. Will check out Francescatti's on strength of others' recommendation.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe