Corey Cerovsek

May 3, 2006 at 02:00 AM · hey...I just saw a concert of this violinist "Corey Cerovsek" it was really good. anybody has seen him in concert ?

I didn't know him before the concert, I think he studied with Gingold...

Thanks

Replies (22)

May 3, 2006 at 02:14 AM · I actually saw him in rehearsal for Bruch's Scottish Fantasy a year ago now. He has a lovely sound and his performance was fantastic, but to me there was something missing in his playing - I don't know what - that sets the greatest artists apart from the great ones. But he's a wonderful player.

May 3, 2006 at 02:15 AM · I saw him some years ago in Tulsa. He was great! Perfect technique, great sound, very musical. He played the Barber concerto and he looked like he was having such a blast in the last mvt (sooooo fast!!) He's also a math genius, went to some big university when he was like 12 or something.

May 3, 2006 at 02:42 AM · Dan,

Corey is an amazing player.

He was also a prodigy playing concerts all around with his sister.

Last time I heard him playing was in London 15 years ago, and it was superb.

Born in 1972 in Vancouver, Canada, Corey began his violin studies at the age of five. At age nine, he won the grand prize over 3,000 other musicians in the Canadian Music Competition. He graduated at age 12 from the University of Toronto’s Royal Conservatory of Music with a gold medal for the highest marks in strings. That same year, he was accepted by Josef Gingold as a student and enrolled at Indiana University, where he received bachelor’s degrees in mathematics and music at age 15, masters in both at 16, and completed his doctoral course work in mathematics and music at age 18.

Corey Cerovsek performs on the “Milanollo” Stradivarius of 1728, an instrument played, among others, by Christian Ferras, Giovanni Battista Viotti, and Nicolò Paganini.

May 3, 2006 at 02:58 AM · I heard him a few years ago playing Scottish Fantasy. Very good performance. The encore was Rec and Scherzo caprice- very fast! He was playing a del Gesu at the time which was one of the best I have ever heard.

Interesting story about what happening to him with Bein and Fushi some time ago. They lent him a del Gesu which he used to play on with a LA orchestra I think. Just before the concert Bein and Fushi asked for the instrument back. Corey was in tears (poor little boy). He ended up keeping the instrument but wasn't too happy.

M

May 3, 2006 at 07:36 AM · He played Barber with us years ago (1998?) and was wonderful; Paganini #1 about 3 years ago, also wonderful. Seemed like a down-to-earth likable guy, too. Not sure why he's not more famous -- the only reason I can think of is that maybe he doesn't want to be. He's certainly got the goods.

May 3, 2006 at 10:00 AM · Hi,

Heard Corey several times. Great player. He exemplifies genius on many levels. As for the politics of careers, who knows...

Cheers!

May 3, 2006 at 10:16 AM · I heard him play a while ago. Pretty impressive, although I'm not sure how mature musically I was to be able to critic him properly. As an encore (of two!) he played Weinaiwski's (sp?) Caprice No. 3, and Petia (my teacher) said that he didn't really play all the notes, he was going so fast. But, I can't honestly remember the concert that well. I think my general impression was good...

May 3, 2006 at 11:09 AM · I saw him I think two years ago playing the Tchaik. It was a great performance, and he did two encores, which were also excellent.

May 3, 2006 at 01:26 PM · There is a Wieniawski violin & piano CD that he recorded the pieces on the Wieniawski del Gesu. A collector's piece, I'm sure. It is on the Delos label.

May 3, 2006 at 09:25 PM · I have seen him in conert twice! The first time he was playing the Sibelius, but I was too young (about 10) too appreciate anything spectacular. The notable thing about that performance was that he left the stage and came back on 11 times before he played an encore. He is probably one of the best violinists to have ever come to where I live.

The second time was in recital. Once again, I was too young to appreciate. :(

May 4, 2006 at 02:53 AM · I used to listen to his yellow Wienawski disc a lot. He skips notes in Scherzo Tarrantella, which is still an exciting and otherwise clean rendition.

May 4, 2006 at 03:36 AM · I have that disc and have listened to it a lot. I don't remember any missed notes? Which ones?

M

May 4, 2006 at 11:39 AM · Ha, ha, ha! Eleven times!!! Wow...that's incredible.

May 5, 2006 at 04:51 PM · Wow, what an incredible story he's got - thanks for posting it, Gennady.

May 5, 2006 at 05:58 PM · Michael,

In the opening triplets he often skips notes... the first one should be Bb G D... he skips the D if i remember correctly and does this in a lot of these types of passages in the scherzo so he can play faster i guess.

But then again, he's a math genius and is a prof at UPenn I think. He's also some type of holy pianist as well.

May 5, 2006 at 07:09 PM · Yes, I heard Corey play last year (2005) on September 23rd and 24th in Charleston with the West Virginia Symphony.

May 15, 2006 at 08:10 AM · I think of Corey Cerovsek as the modern day Efrem Zimbalist, and I'm a HUGE Efrem Zimbalist fan.

Fast fingers, clean lines, perfect intonation, diabolical ease of technique. As far as manual coordination goes, Cerovsek is right up there with the Prihodas and Kubeliks.

I saw him play 10 years ago and he just knocked me dead. I like him in virtuoso show stoppers - tbe Scherzo Tarentelle that he did with Gingold on video when he was a kid was on par with Heifetz's in excitement and ease of play.

I haven't heard him play recently, though I've heard him do some neat things on public radio.

May 30, 2006 at 10:47 PM · Corey is a fastastic player who is really very modest about his talents. I've been fortunate to hear him many times over the course of his career while he was still living in Indiana. He gave a fine performance of the Bach Double with Mr. Gingold here in Indiana when he was in his teens, and his playing keeps getting better. He's actually a fantastic pianist, too, and sometimes performs piano concerti in concert.

I've often wondered why Corey has not received more attention given his talents. He seems to avoid "marketing" himself in the way that most younger virtuosi do and he appears to perform more frequently outside the U.S. (hence his recent move to Europe from Indiana). I've always sensed that he is one of the few great violinists who is able to put his ego aside and genuinely loves making music.

Listeners who are able to discern really fine violin playing (over garish marketing and affiliation with a recording label) seem to constitute a regular and steadily growing fan base despite the paucity of available recordings. It's really a joy to hear Corey in performance.

SN

May 31, 2006 at 08:15 AM · i met him in Paris last year over lunch. He seemed detached.

IG

May 31, 2006 at 01:15 PM · I saw him play three years ago, accompanied by his sister, Katja. They are remarkable musicians. Especially good on Wieniawski.

He could have earned a PhD in mathematics at the age of 19, but decided on a career with the violin.

May 31, 2006 at 08:36 PM · Ilya... of course he seemed detached. You're not supposed to drink half your weight in absinthe.

May 31, 2006 at 09:04 PM · so all my calculations are redundant now?

IG

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe