Case Advice?

April 30, 2006 at 06:26 AM · I'm looking for a new violin case. I currently have a BAM London and I am looking for a sturdier, easy to transport case with lots of compartments for storage. I really want a Musafia, but it's really out of my budget (even the discounted ones!). I've been looking at the Bobelock Corregidor case as a second option. It looks like a great case. My question is - does anyone own one of these cases? What do you like about it or dislike? Or, would it make more sense to wait a couple of months and try to save up for a Musafia? I need help - thanks!

Replies (29)

April 30, 2006 at 02:33 PM · I own a Bobelock and highly recommend it. I do not find any problems. Be sure to get one with the suspensionair feature.

April 30, 2006 at 05:14 PM · I like the Tarisio cases.

April 30, 2006 at 06:04 PM · I have a Bobelock case, It's not the corregidor, but rather the oblong wooden cutom made for Johnson Strings.

I love it. Obviously, Musafia is the Rolls Royce, but you won't go wrong with Bobelocks. Great cases.

April 30, 2006 at 11:01 PM · Greetings,

I have one of the cheapest Musafia`s in the range and although it is beautiful and presumably study as heck it has three features which are anooying me right now. The lock on top is not a regualr straighfowrad hinge but rather has an extra compnent so it operates rather like the lock ona pickling jar. This means that if you shut the zipper first it is really easy for the top part to actually be stuck between the top and the bottom of the case. Its very irritating. Second, the leather strap for pulling the end compart ment open is bent out of shape (its a really strong piece ) and stick out between the top and bottom , jamming the zipper. Its too tough to change the shape so the option I have is to superglue the damn thing to the lid which I haveN@t got around to yet. Tghird, the glue used to connect the silk strips where the bows go has dissloved so they are flapping around to a some extent.

With a bit of luck someone from Musafia is reading this and will send me a free case...

Cheers,

Buri

May 2, 2006 at 09:10 AM · Hi, I own a Musafia and Bobelock Moonshape case. I'm afraid the Musafia is a little overrated and the finish of both cases is equal...

The Bobelock is inexpensive and real value for money. The moonshape is great for travelling on buses and trains ,because of it's shape you always have a corner space in an overhead compartment for an extra small bag.

May 4, 2006 at 03:57 PM · I own a AETERNUM Musafia...perfect case, love it. Very easy to travel with, by plane, by car, etc...

Very functionnable...

If you can save a little money, buy this model...

You can even ask Dimitri Musafia, for some new discounted models, if you make up your mind for a Musafia one.

BEst regards

Audrey

May 4, 2006 at 05:16 PM · I saw a lot of people with Musafia cases 3-4 years old that are falling apart. What I also saw was people who have used the same Jaeger case for 30 years.

They are heavy but they protect very well against cold weather, which is important for me coming from Scandinavia. Also they age with patina, at leats the leather one, without looking worn out after some years.

They are in the Musafia price range but much better value for money in my oppinion.

PS: U can save some money and weight by taken the imitated leather finish.

May 4, 2006 at 05:19 PM · Hello,

The Musafia website has discontinued and display models along with some "not quite perfect" models at substantial discounts. I got one such case and although they were not happy with how the lining was glued, it was a very minor point and I may not even have noticed it. I will highly recommend exploring this route for a very well made and reasonably priced option.

Cheers,

Jose

May 20, 2006 at 11:08 AM · I am thinking of purchasing a Bobelock case. Which model would you recommend and what are the differences between the different materials (wood, fiberglass, styrofoam...)

May 20, 2006 at 11:38 AM · Hi,

If one is going to spend the amount for a Musafia, I would suggest getting a Gorge. The are heavier probably, but excellently built (on old Hill models), and like the Jagaer cases, last a long time.

Another option, cheaper, and will a case that will literally last forever, is to order a custom case from Valises d'Aluminium Rouillard in Montreal, Canada. The cases are made from airplane aluminium and steel. They are not any heavier than the Gorge, but so strong that you can stand on them. I have had mine for 15 years, and when the inside got worn (after about 12 years), they took the case, gutted it out and rebuilt the interior for like 70$cdn. These cases cost about $500cdn, so less than a Gorge or Musufia, and are about the strongest on the market. Plus, they look cool.

Cheers!

May 20, 2006 at 05:13 PM · I carry a Bobelock double violin case for two of my violins.

It's a suspension case with a sheet music pocket. The only drawback is that the little inner compartments are really small. There's no way to fit a shoulder rest in there, not that I'd ever use one. The shoulder rest fits fine in the "glove compartment" (sheet music pocket) and I even jammed a folding music stand in there once.

The reason I have a double case is because I never like being caught unprepared when a violin goes down. I don't generally change strings on the spot, as I need a few days for the strings to settle to the point where they stay in tune. Besides, I like the idea of choosing the violin that's right for a certain need depending on the job I'm playing.

May 21, 2006 at 09:29 AM · No one's mentioned the GEWA cases, they're really goood and you can find lots of different prices ranges for different models.

i love mine although i don't treat it with the respect it deserves.

bye bye

May 21, 2006 at 10:56 AM · when my violin fell down from the headrack of a bus which was driving too fast into a heavy turn it was covered by a violincase from gordge.

so-very expensiv heavy and hard ,british as well.

the violin had 3 open cracks ,i was really very shocked when i opened the case.

my suspection is if it was a lighter case , the damage wouldnt be so hard beacuse when you drop it ,it´s not gaining so much speed.

there are so light cases from bam or this cheap ones from poland,

nice to carry and secure.

security has not so much to do with a lot of money.

after my bad experience with this heavy and ´classy looking´

one i personally would go for the light and cheap cases.

May 21, 2006 at 11:49 AM · I hope this isn't terribly off-track.

"[a lighter violin case] is not gaining so much speed."

Air resistance aside, heavy and light objects fall at the same speed. So a heavier violin case won't hit the ground with any more velocity than a light one, given they probably have a similar shape.

However a piece of paper and a pencil will likely hit with different speeds, because the paper offers more air resistance.

May 21, 2006 at 01:08 PM · Hi,

That said, it seems possible that a foam shell case would then absorb more shock and give less vibrative feedback that a wooden one.

Cheers!

May 21, 2006 at 10:42 PM · I recently went with a Weber after my beloved case of almost 30 years finally went the way of the dinosaurs.

This particular Weber is reasonably priced and has ample storage. The chinrest is stored securly under the neckrest and the accessories case is large enough to hold several cakes of rosin, strings, a metronome, and my keys and wallet, when need be. The music compartment on the outside of the case has pen/pencil holders and can hold about 1/2 inch of paper without stretching the material. The shoulder strap is comfortable and it has handles for both vertical and horizontal carrying. It's fairly low-profile with no frills and will most likely last another 30 years.

I'd say it's best to save up for a case that will last rather than sacrificing for lesser quality and having to buy another case 5-10 years down the line.

J

May 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM · Jeff: i know someone in Australia who has the same name as you, he's a brilliant programmer and musician.

In any case [hehe] i think most of you use violin cases that are worth several times my whole violin!!

May 22, 2006 at 12:30 AM · Best cases I have ever found for a stringed instrument is made by Calton in Calgary, Canada (of all unexpected places). Not cheap, but can withstand airport luggage handling. (I have proven this).

June 4, 2006 at 08:56 AM · Well, Musafia's ones can be expensive, but I think they are worth...paying for them !

I had to fly to SF to go with my husband who was conducting there. And I had to leave my violin in the luggage hold... The result was not so good for my case, but the violin was fortunaletly safe... So, I'm very confident with these cases.

So are Accardo, Repin, Gluzman if I good remember, the Caussés, Dumay and so on... Vengerov uses Negri ones...which I find not so performant.

Your mind about ?

June 4, 2006 at 02:59 PM · Our violin shop has been selling Bobelock cases for years. I personally own 3 Bobelock cases. Two of them are over twenty years old. I have had to replace the covers on both of them but the cases, which have had hard use, are both holding up great.

What we like so much about Bobelock is the warranty and quality of construction - especially for the money. Bobelock is fantastic at standing behind their cases. I have seen them replace cases and parts (at no charge) on cases that were well out of warranty if the case was deemed defective.

As a violin dealer the other thing I like about Bobelock is the availability of parts and covers. Some of the other case companies will discontinue certain case models and then there will be no replacement parts or covers available for them.

In my opinion, of the many cases on the market, the suspension system in the Bobelock cases is the best, with the thickest and softest suspension pads.

The Corregidor is a great choice. If you are looking for something more compact you can't go wrong with the Half-Moon case. You get a lot of features for your money in the Half-Moon case.

Good luck with your decision.

June 7, 2006 at 10:21 PM · Hello,

Nobody said anything about American Case Co.

Is it any good?

Thanks

June 8, 2006 at 04:09 AM · I've had an American Case Company Dart case for 11 years now - I love it! It is light and small - but has enough room to carry essentials. I travel extensively with it and it always fits in airplane overheads, and even under the seats on some of the smaller jets. They don't seem to make the case anymore - so I'm living with the fact that mine is just starting to look scrappy. :(

June 9, 2006 at 02:00 AM · In my case (hehe) there's 2 plastic anchors with an elastic around them to hold the bow on the "roof" of the case. When i open it, more often than not the elastic gets stuck in the E string's fine tuner. Anyone else have this annoyance?

June 9, 2006 at 04:14 AM · I got a used Weber case last year; it's exceptionally well made. After years of use it still looks new and is rock solid; I suspect I'll have it the rest of my life. Plenty of space, I stick my largish shoulder rest in one of the compartments with a lot of other stuff. Two down sides: the built-in humidification system doesn't work, and the outside music pocket seems a tad small. But the built-in humidity gauge gives very accurate readings (I've tested it). His web site has had a photo of two people standing on the case. If you can afford a Weber case, at least give it a look. Minor note: he claims to have invented the suspension case.

Unfortunately Weber has stopped making cases, which given the quality I find kind of sad (of course, they are fairly expensive). Details are on his web site:

http://www.weberscases.com/

June 11, 2006 at 08:29 AM · I want one of thoes rounded wooden cases. I may make one this summer.

June 11, 2006 at 06:26 PM · I've owned an American Case Continental model (about $500)for a year and a half and am very happy with it. The construction is quite solid and the case has several storage compartments that hold quite of lot of stuff (in my case, a shoulder rest, 3 different rosins, dust cloth, tuner/metronome, a box with rubber and metal mutes and chinrest tool, pencil, pitch pipe, and on and on). Methinks you'd be hard pressed to find a more protective and durable case for the money. I also like the way it looks (mine has a black inteior).

Best,

ab

June 12, 2006 at 04:34 AM · I own two Musafia's (Aeternum and a double case) and a Bobelock.

I wouldn't say that the Musafia's are overrated. The Aeternum is an amazing case and since all the Musafia double-cases are custom ordered, I added on some options that were worth every penny.

That said, if the Musafia's are beyond your reach, it's hard to go wrong with a Bobelock.

- Ray

July 26, 2006 at 06:51 AM · Can anyone tell me where is a good place to buy musafia cases??? I want them to be posted to my country, but they don't have a distributor in my country

July 26, 2006 at 04:54 PM · Ask Dimitri Musafia himself, by his web site...

He's an adorable man, always kind with his custimers. I think he can ship anywhere !

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe