C. L. Young

April 20, 2006 at 04:38 AM · Anyone heard of violin maker C. L. Young of Whitlock Washington? He built my Grandfather's violin in 1903

Replies (2)

May 27, 2016 at 02:14 PM · Hi! This is many years too late, but I just got one of these in my shop (from 1901) and found your post while looking him up. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information on him other than that he was a violin maker in the area (the one I have was made in Castle Rock, WA) and made a number of violins during his time. They are apparently all of his own design, meaning they aren't modeled off of Stradivaris or Del Gesu violins, and this is pretty evident when you look at it, which, at least in the case of the one I have here, shouldn't be taken to mean he was a poor craftsman. I found a photo of him from around the turn of the century (I think it said 1903?) and he looks to be at least in his 40s. The violin I have looks to be made of regional woods, Big Leaf Maple and Engelmann Spruce. I can't tell you anything about the value at all though, unfortunately, but maybe someone else will see this post and know. Or maybe you know by now! There is a great book that came out recently about American Violin Makers, and I wonder if he is in there...

May 27, 2016 at 04:03 PM · I have one as well. Castle Rock, 1913. Cedar top, Big Leaf back and scroll, Milanese egg-shaped scroll. All in all a nice amateur fiddle. I've worked on 2 others, pretty much the same.

Good fiddles, not well suited for violinists, not worth lots of money, but fun to look at.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe