Coda Classic Bow?

April 1, 2006 at 05:08 AM · I just picked up a Coda Classic Bow. Has anyone used these Carbon Fiber Bows? What do you think of them?

Replies (24)

April 1, 2006 at 06:05 AM · good, cheap, appropriate for amatuers.

April 1, 2006 at 11:28 AM · For those of you unfamiliar with this product, check out codabow.com. Have a look at the endosements section. Is this the most endorsed bow on the market?

I cann't really believe what some of these players say. How can Alexander Mishnaevski, principle Viola of the Detroit Symphony say it is as good as if not better than any bow he has played in 44 years? The bow is a thick, shiny black club. Sure the sound is strong, but it is severely lacking in flexibility. The bounce is very poor, hard, and dead.

But for the price...what do you expect. I could say more but am a little sick. Just popped out of bed to get a drink.....not whiskey.

April 1, 2006 at 08:01 PM · I like my Coda Classic very much! I play fiddle.. and do a lot of outside playing. It holds up very well even on damp nights. I've put away my good French violin bow... and use only the Coda.

Mine has a very good feel... balance... and since I'm a former violist the tiny bit of more weight feels very natural to me. I like it! :)

Kate

April 1, 2006 at 08:32 PM · I also have a Coda Classic. I enjoy it very much. It has excellent balance. May be a little light, but not bad at all for the price.

I have a much more expensive bow by Fritz Gutter. I prefer the Coda Classic.

Disclaimer: I don't consider myself a bow expert.

April 4, 2006 at 11:33 PM · I've heard that the Coda bow is very good. I have an Arcus bow, which is also a carbon fiber. It works pretty well for me, but now I'm finding that I need to get a wooden bow. Or maybe I've just kept my Arcus for too long! ^^; Anyway, I know lots of people who recommend Codas.

April 5, 2006 at 12:46 AM · I have a coda classic. Best darn bow I've ever owned and I strongly disagree that it is an "amateur" bow. It took me a little while to get used to it, but it was a joyous experience. Excellent bounce over the majority of the bow, great balance. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an equivalent wooden stick for less then 4k.

April 5, 2006 at 01:13 AM · Sharon, Arcus bows are sooooo light... i wasn't used to it, so i bought a yamaha carbon fiber bow instead. Its pretty much just a heavy metal stick. Maybe they're use to making motorcycles.

April 5, 2006 at 04:48 PM · Stefan, how does the TONE of your bow compare to wood bows of the same price?

April 5, 2006 at 08:47 PM · Bows of the same price would be 800 odd dollars.

Honestly, tone is a moot point because you just can't get the dynamics, control or sheer volume out of wood at that price; at least not one I've personally seen.

When comparing the Coda Classic to a $4k and up Pernambuco bow, there is the possibility that Codas are brighter sounding, in other words - not as deep, as rich.

For example, right before the first medium sized orchestral break in the Bruch concerto (bottom of the first page, for those who have the Francescatti version), is some great 5th position stuff on G string. It seems to me that I don't get quite as much "Guhhh" out of the violin as with wood. (does that make any sense whatsovever? )

You will notice that I used the words "seems", "might" and "possibility". This is because I think there are plenty of other variables. I play a Peresson, a pretty high end violin, so it's a lot easier to get a good sound out of it than a sub 20,000 dollar violin. Peressons are noted for being bright. Mine certainly is. On top of that, I am currently using Dominants; classically bright strings. Could these be the reasons? I want to do a sound post adjustment. Could that be a reason?

Darker strings?

Finally, I don't know if a person ten feet away from me hears the differences. I'm hearing and perceiving that difference from sound right under ear.

I think there are too many variables to take into consideration.

I will say that playing something like the Tambourin Chinois or some parts of the Rondo Capricioso have absolutely made my opinion of the coda classic a cinch. I'm able to do things now, I simply could not do before.

I am a better violinist because of that bow - and you can hear that from any distance.

April 6, 2006 at 04:01 AM · I must agree with Suresh on this.

If one is comparing carbon bows, then I must say that the best one IMO is the Benoit Rolland "Spiccatto" bow.

That is if one is on a budget and is looking for a bow under 2k and is willing to spend up to $1800.

But still, if you compare the best carbon bows to the best contemporary bows from 3k and up, you will find that you are comparing apples and oranges....(there is nothing to compare). The best pernambuco bows by contemporary makers, are still light years better than the carbon bows.

Carbon bows, are great for outdoor concerts, playing in the pit, playing with amplification especially good for col legno playing, etc.

They would make a fine 2nd or 3rd or 4rth bow.

But they will never replace a great pernambuco bow.

April 6, 2006 at 04:51 AM · Coda Bows are not made by award winning bow makers. They are made by machines and technicians. The shaft is a little thick in my opinion, and as per the above comments, the stick lacks flexibility. It would make a great Viola bow though! I use one to discipline members of an orchestra. The stick really hurts. Col Legno doesn't damage the bow but it may dent the strings.

Regards

M.

April 6, 2006 at 04:25 PM · I tried a coda viola bow and I thought it felt like a baseball bat. Didn't care for the look, the feel or the sound. Other than that, I loved it.

I do realize that the CF bows handle well above their price range for certain things. As I am sort of a hemi-demi-semi-pro duffer, I prefer the look, feel and sound of pernambuco.

April 6, 2006 at 08:42 PM · Mike:

Sorry. I disagree with you. I tried the Coda Bow as a baseball bat and found it not very effective.

Dan

April 6, 2006 at 09:57 PM · They make decent props for sword-fighting in the hallways in between classes.... :)

April 6, 2006 at 10:04 PM · You anti-technology fascists! You don't complain about your microwave dinners do you? Ok, bad example. You don't complain about your plane not crashing do you?

April 6, 2006 at 10:11 PM · Ok, I don't understand why everyone seems to have a problem with the coda bow. I've had mine for over a year and I lot it. I admit it feels a bit stiff, but I can still do everything I need to with it. My upbow staccato is very tight and crisp with this bow. My sound is also a lot broader and fuller.

April 6, 2006 at 10:32 PM · I second those spiccato bows. I tried a coda bow, a Jon Paul and a spiccato, and I thought the coda was the worst, then the Jon Paul, and the spiccato was quite fabulous. The spiccato had that nice ballance between stiffness and ease of bounce. Unfortunately, I hear that they aren't being made any more :-(. Are Rolland's other bows like that?

April 7, 2006 at 01:52 AM · Rolland's pernambuco bows are ofcourse superior to the Spiccatto bow.

Nevertheless the spiccatto bow was made very well especially the early bows.

June 16, 2007 at 12:14 AM · Any more thoughts? I am considering purchasing a Classic this weekend to go with a decent violin between 5-10k. Only problem is I am going to be purchasing this bow online because I am stuck in the middle of nowhere. I also don't want to spend a fortune on a bow, so hopefully this bow will be nice.

June 16, 2007 at 12:23 AM · It's nice. But maybe not nice enough to justify its price. Glasser has a braided carbon fiber bow that is supposed to be for professionals. I haven't got a chance to try it in person but it costs less than half the classic.

June 16, 2007 at 02:16 AM · Check the post by Allan Speers, who owns the Glasser. Search V-com, and should find many references to CF bows.

Why not try the new Diamond Coda? I am not in the USA, so can't try it. But I would sure appreciate a review of this bow.

The Classic reviews were good, but all players said the sound was too bright. If bright is what you want, then it's for you.

good luck.

June 16, 2007 at 02:29 AM · coda conservatory here. Likes it--it's a different animal, but I've adjusted--to the extent a beginner can adjust.

June 16, 2007 at 04:16 AM · I love my Coda. It is fantastic! All wooden bows are different, so for any new bow, you need to make some adjustments. Getting a Coda was no different to me than geting a new wood bow.

June 16, 2007 at 04:30 AM · The Codabow Classic is a good bow for the price.

That being said, I've found that generally the Spiccato (now JonPaul) Arpege tend to be just as good if not a bit better for less money.

I'd also try the new Codabow Diamond's. They're pretty good for the price as well. Not necessarily great for the price but pretty good.

But the old (no longer made, sigh) Spicatto's Premiere's are definitely better than any Codabow I've ever played. (And yes Gennady, I think I have one of the earlier ones :-). Better tone and even though I have the stiffest (orchestral version) Spiccato stick, that stick is significantly more supple than the Diamonds or the Classic.

And yes, *none* of these compare to a good $3K silver mounted wood bow made by a great modern maker.

- Ray

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe