Jennifer Becker violins

April 1, 2006 at 05:08 AM · I am thinking about buying a new instrument and I would like to know what is the general consensus on the violins of Jennifer Becker (daughter of Carl Becker)?

How is the sound? How do her violins compare with those of her father and grandfather? How do they compare with comparable makers in the same price range? (around $25,000 I believe)

Thanks for any help.

Replies (21)

April 1, 2006 at 03:35 AM · Anyone?

April 1, 2006 at 02:49 PM ·

I would be extremely surprised if everyone who spent, say $25000, on a violin didn't feel that the one they bought was the best violin on earth for the money. I'm sure her customers (and mine, in my price range, and any customer in any price range) would agree that what *they* bought was the best for the money.

And I'm sure the people who had $25000 to spend and didn't buy one will have another recommendation of who *they* eventually discovered is the best maker on the face of the earth in that price range.

So, why not go look, yourself, instead and see what YOU think of them?

April 1, 2006 at 02:40 PM · Hi, Kevin:

I know Jennifer well. She is a cellist, and a perfectionist who has an unbelievably sensitive ear. Her violins compare favorably to those of her father and grandfather.

Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions about Jenny's violins.

Al

April 1, 2006 at 07:12 PM · There aren't any available to try at the moment (at least not in the continental United States).

Which is why I am asking the question...

April 1, 2006 at 07:49 PM · I've got this theory that the differences between $250 and $25,000 violins are negligible and random.

April 1, 2006 at 08:12 PM · That's funny Jim, I was just thinking the same about your prose :)

April 1, 2006 at 08:17 PM · Yes, there are many things that characterization applies to.

April 2, 2006 at 10:21 PM · I've got this theory that the entire universe is perched on the fingernail of a giant named Ooog

Unfortunately, people tend not to believe me because I don't provide enough *evidence*

There have been many threads about buying expensive instruments. Borman, Burgess, Curtin, Alf, all fall around my price range. Now have you told all these people your theory, or are you just being unhelpful to me in particular.

Compared to the modern makers above, Jennifer is pretty unknown, and I'm just wondering about how her instruments compare since if I buy a Becker, I could trade something in.

April 2, 2006 at 10:47 PM · Ah. You want "data."

April 11, 2006 at 12:22 AM · I would make sure to play the instrument first. She makes nice instruments- very bright tone. To be honest, I don't know about $25000. I think you could find a comparable or better instrument quite easily for the same amount of money. Of course, it depends on the individual instrument, so try it first. Good luck!

April 26, 2006 at 03:40 AM · Speaking of Jennifer Becker...I believe she moved her shop but I can't find a forwarding address or phone number. Do any of you know where she's at now?

I used to bring my instrument to her shop for repairs, but haven't been able to find where she went!

April 26, 2006 at 06:03 AM · Why aren't there more lady violin makers?

April 26, 2006 at 09:39 AM · You know guys and their tools...

Honestly, I don't think it's as compelling to women, though I think they could make excellent violins. I might give it a spin someday when I've run out of other things to do.

I own a bow made by a woman. I like it.

April 26, 2006 at 01:43 PM · There were quite a few at the Cremona violin show, Hildegard Dodel, Riccarda Dacquati, Alessandra Pedota, Barbara Piccinotti, Saskia Bergink.

April 26, 2006 at 04:32 PM · I'm not sure if it's current, but you might try the federation site (American Federation of Violin & Bow Makers) for Jennifer B's contact numbers. As I understand it, she's presently working from her studio at home.

To add to the (US) female makers list: Marilyn Wallin, Wendy Moes, Sigrun Seifert. There are a good many more.

April 27, 2006 at 02:56 AM · yes, her shop recently closed down. I do not believe she is aquiring any new instruments and is only doing repairs.

May 12, 2006 at 01:52 AM · Kevin,

This is Steven Leung from MN. I'm not sure if you are the same Kevin Zhang that is a student at MacPhail, but it would be a weird coincidence. Anyway, I have a 1916 Carl Becker (grandfather) that I Love. Jenny painstankingly restored it and has been the only one that I let handle the violin up until now. I can't seem to find her and unfortunately the shop closed down. I think her instruments are nice, but the grandfather's are great! I have a particularly nice one and it is uncharacteristically mellow yellow in color and tone, although it still has that Becker projection. If you want, stop by or email me. I'd be happy to show it to you...that is if you are the Kevin in MN. Good luck!

May 12, 2006 at 03:04 AM · I'm a studen at macphail :)

June 9, 2006 at 07:04 PM · Kevin:

I'm not sure where you live but #9 and others are in Jennifer's shop (#9 is my custom violin) - if you like you should contact her and me to see if you can try it out - worth the bother so I have been told by many other violinsts

Feel free to email me if you like.

January 11, 2017 at 07:21 PM · Jennifer Becker has a new shop in St.Paul Minnesota on Selby Avenue she is still building new and doing custom repairs.

Address: 1161 Selby Ave, St Paul, MN 55104

Phone: (612) 508-5739

January 11, 2017 at 09:27 PM · Readers more faithful than Hachiko will appreciate this info, after waiting 11+ years.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe