Margess International

March 31, 2006 at 06:02 PM · Has anyone ever been to Margess International in Switzerland? What is it like? Could you describe the curriculum and the environment. Any info would be appreciated!

Ryan

Replies (12)

April 2, 2006 at 01:42 PM · Has anyone heard anything about what the camp is like?

April 19, 2006 at 10:04 PM · hallo... i went to margess in summer of 2004 and i'm going again this summer. i studied there with alf richard kraggerud and he is absolutely amazing. the place is beautiful and the people there, both students and teachers, are very nice-- and they speak just about every european language there is! it's small-- only about sixty-something students. there's chamber music and two orchestras, so it's not really as intensive as somewhere like encore or meadowmount.

but if you're looking for the "european" style of playing which i tend to prefer, then you can find it there. plus it's in zuoz, in the heart of the alps!! you can't beat that! =]

April 20, 2006 at 11:50 AM · Hi thanks! Yes I just recently got the email saying I was accepted so I guess I'll see you there this summer.

April 20, 2006 at 08:49 PM · no problem-- yaaaaay i'm so glad, cause when i went i was the only american =( see you in zuoz~

April 20, 2006 at 09:46 PM · Yeah two of my friends from Chicago are coming as well. Do most people speak english?

April 20, 2006 at 11:13 PM · Almost all of them can speak English but most of them speak their native language a lot with people from their own country. Who are your friends from Chicago? I know people there also

April 22, 2006 at 01:15 PM · I have been 5 times to Margess, back when it was in Ftan and even one time when it was in Arosa. say hi to Nancy, Jonathan and Joke from me. And I don't know if Stefan Muhmenthaler will be there, but if you get a chance, go take a lesson with him and ask him "to show you the "grizzly- principle" and the exercise with you back against the wall. You'll be amazed. He was my former teacher and everything I know about sound, he taught me! And a great soccer player too!

You'll have an amazing summer. I met all my best friends there!

June 28, 2006 at 10:58 PM · I haven't been to Margess, but I studied with one of their faculty members, Detlef Hahn, for two years (90 - 92). This was absolutely foundational to me.

Before this, my playing was very intuitive/emmotionaly driven with little reflection on technical and methodical matters. Studying with professor Hahn gave me a whole new tool-box to focus my playing and energy better.

Whether you study with him for two weeks or two years, you will get much out of the time spent with him.

He also creates a good atmosphere in his class, he is a very friendly and knowledgeable person. I've returned to him for a couple of weeks of lessons every three or four years.

July 21, 2006 at 11:55 AM · Hi! I'm going as well. (Leaving tomorrow) Is it a really tough environment to be in, by that I mean, is it a very competitive course??? Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Viktor (Norway)

January 9, 2008 at 09:41 PM · I'm trying to find information about Margess for this summer. Does anyone know if there is a website for Margess?

January 17, 2008 at 09:59 PM · Hi!

Margess changed it´s name last summer, it´s now called Astona International, and the website is www.astona-international.ch

January 18, 2008 at 02:24 AM · Thank you! I will certainly check out the website.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe