Glory of Cremona by Ricci

March 29, 2006 at 05:30 AM · does anyone know how I can get a copy of "The Glory of Cremona," by Ricci. Has anyone put it on a CD? Not the Legacy, but the Glory of Cremona.

Replies (13)

March 29, 2006 at 06:12 AM · Is that the one that he plays the Bruch VC 1 opening on several instruments plus other pieces? If that is the one, then The Strad released it. But it does not seem to be on their website anymore.

March 29, 2006 at 08:36 AM · I got it of amazon. It's interesting to a certain degree but I have to warn you though, that the playing is not doing Ricci's legacy any good. Both intonation and sound are not up to his previous standad. It makes me feel a little sad and I wish he hadn't made it considering what an icon he was in the 20th century.

March 29, 2006 at 02:04 PM · You are talking about "The Legacy of Cremona," in which he plays many modern instruments. And yes I know his playing on that CD is not at the level of the things he did before, but we must remember that age affects us all and try to bask in the fact that a man could play that well at that age.

The recording I am looking for is the first one he did with this concept, in which he played a bunch of strads and del Gesus and other Cremonians. He plays Vivaldi's "Praeludium," Desplanes' "Intrada,"Brahm's "Hungarain Dance 20 & 17," etc...

For a long time it was just a record, but I think the Strad turned it into a CD, but they do not list it anymore. It must have been recorded about 20 years ago.

March 29, 2006 at 02:20 PM · You're right sorry. Kristian

March 29, 2006 at 03:04 PM · I still have that as a vinyl record. If worse comes to worse I might be able to talk someone into copying it to a CD.

Many many years ago I used to play quartets with a Physicist who literally had a closetfull of old Italian fiddles. They were interesting. William Moennig appraised them all and said they were all made "in the shop of" Strad, Guarneri, Amati, etc. None of them were made completely by the Master, but his hand was definitely in there. Did they ever sound good!

March 29, 2006 at 03:06 PM · I have it on an argentine LP, and I made it copied

to CD, plus Dohnanyi's violin sonata that he recorded in Hungary. But I think you'r wrong on the date. The LP has not a date, but it is from the

60s.

March 29, 2006 at 04:10 PM · The CD lacks date to, but the producers note (written after the recording) is from 1964.

March 29, 2006 at 04:13 PM · I've noticed the vinyl record "Glory of Cremona" selling on Ebay a few times recently. You might keep an eye out there.

Larry Samuels

March 29, 2006 at 05:42 PM · The vinyl I have is titled "Glory of Cremona". I purchased it by special order in the late 70's. It came with a smaller record or Ricci playing the Bruch opening on all 15 instruments.

I think the primary recording, which is of Ricci playing 15 pieces on the 15 Cremonese masters, is very well done.

March 29, 2006 at 08:18 PM · I have the LP and the CD. I bought the CD through the Strad magazine store. However, I just checked their online site and they no longer have this. Contact me at nrnguyen@yahoo.com if you'd like to get the MP3's.

I am a big fan of Ricci and this album shows him at his best IMHO. Very sensitive and powerful playing. I can't imagine any current artist playing these pieces this well.

March 30, 2006 at 02:14 AM · Try listening to Hubay himself playing his Violin Maker of Cremona (one of the pieces on the referent disc). I thought Ricci was best until I heard the composer play it...

April 21, 2006 at 05:23 AM · Hello Mike,

I bought what appear to be this recording on LP today at Princeton Record Exhange, Princeton, NJ. The title of my copy is "The Glory of Cremona - Ruggiero Ricci plays 15 Famous Violins Created by (list of six starting with Antonio Stradivari and ending with Gasparo Da Salò). With Leon Pommers, piano.

The record is issued by MCA Records as MCA 2537. Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: R 63-1314. My copy is cut-out and shrinkwrapped after the cutout. I haven't opened it, and will not have a chance to listen to it until after I return to my home in Norway come August.

The record triggered my interest because of the assosciation to the Sonus Faber line of Cremona Loudspeaker, and because I thought it could be an interesting venue for testing the sound reproduction on different loudspeakers/systems.

Searching the web to learn what I had bought, I first came upon your question and later some more information including an ad at www.classicrecords.co.uk advertising an issue by Decca (SXA 4521) for £60.

Some sites refer to a booklet which may or may noot be included with my copy. Judging by the price tags on the wrap, my copy was at 2nd hand tunes before ending up at PRX.

Please let me know (preferably by e-mail tore@cs.uit.no) if there is any other information you would like me to check from the cover.

Regards,

--

Tore Larsen

October 22, 2006 at 12:46 AM · Ricci is at his best on these recordings!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe