Kreisler Praeludium and Allegro - something different.

March 24, 2006 at 06:35 AM · Ireally like the menuhin version of the Kreisler Praeludium and allegro, and I have sought out other versions to listen to which have never satisfied me.

but I really like this one, for the most part.

I found myself getting a little lost somewhere towards the middle, otherwise, just kept thinking -gee, that was unexpected. and nice.

Most challengingly for an old starter like myself, its from that nappy-wearer's showcase, From the

Top.

What do you all think?

http://www.fromthetop.com/Programs/Performers.cfm?pid=1886

Replies (34)

March 24, 2006 at 09:09 AM · I hear the Jimi Hendrix influence. Maybe we'll finally have some good old-time violin playing again if she catches on:)

March 24, 2006 at 06:38 PM · I know this violinist from an arts camp. She's great, always a very thoughtful interpretation. :)

March 24, 2006 at 08:00 PM · I guess this is how you have to play if you want to keep it interesting after 7 hours every day ;-]

March 24, 2006 at 08:06 PM · Joshua Bell does a great job with that piece.

March 24, 2006 at 08:11 PM · Kennedy's performance is rather cool, too.

March 24, 2006 at 08:33 PM · Wow! There's definitely something there... Huge personality, super technique. I hope she continues to refine her voice and stop counting how many notes she missed... Nice chamber-y qualities too.

Thanks a lot for that link! Definitely someone to keep an eye out for.

March 24, 2006 at 11:10 PM · so much for the "in the Style of Pugnani"...and so much for the "allegro" part.

March 25, 2006 at 01:43 AM · How refreshing. It's "in the Style of Pugnani" when Pugnani was 15 years old too. I hope she never enters a competition or if she does that she never loses her own voice. Just a delight.

March 25, 2006 at 07:59 PM · I haven't heard any of the performances mentioned (I know, I know - it's disgraceful), but I have heard Milstein and Nadien performances, and I like them both.

March 25, 2006 at 10:25 PM · Another really cool recording of this piece is the recording by Franz von Vecsy (yes, the guy who Sibelius dedicated his concerto to). If you can get a hold of it, it's really interesting.

March 29, 2006 at 04:25 AM · Good for her-- she sounds great! Though maybe she should replace the battery in her metronome and listen to less Arvo Part. :-) (when she really slowed down and sparsened the vibrato, Arvo Part is what it sounded like to me!) (? Jimi Hendrix??)

March 29, 2006 at 05:26 AM · Gabriel I just meant freedom. Hey, also on FtT, the current or last weeks show, there's a real good 13 year old violinist, at the end of the show, named Robin something I think. Worth a search and a download.

March 31, 2006 at 03:57 AM · I would have to disagree... I thought Joshua Bell's praeludium part was pretty disappointing. I really like Midori's version in her Encore CD. If you haven't you should just go listen to it and tell me what you think~!

March 31, 2006 at 03:59 AM · Amy, don't forget that Hubay's 3rd Violin concerto was dedicated to the same man ;-)

March 31, 2006 at 05:23 AM · Jonathan, I wasn't aware. :)

He has quite a unique sound and interpretation of this piece.

March 31, 2006 at 08:00 AM · Sorry, Sayuri Komatsu - Perlman's version is so much better than Midori's in my professional opinion.

April 4, 2006 at 06:03 PM · I agree with Sayuri about Midori's recording.

The From the Top recording was interesting. I think it largely worked.

April 5, 2006 at 12:28 AM · Thanks for the link.

Heather is certainly a superb talent and is VERY original. I wish her all the very best.

April 5, 2006 at 02:17 AM · Very interesting indeed.

Ps. Mr Filimonov, are you going to the beer festival in Seattle?

Regards

Michael.

April 5, 2006 at 04:03 AM · I don't drink Beer.

I am more of a Martini (shaken not stirred) kind of a guy :)

ps: Besides, I will be too busy having fun in France with my family at that time.

April 5, 2006 at 04:22 AM · Jolly good.

April 10, 2006 at 03:08 AM · Heather was one of my roommates at Encore last year! She is a wonderful player, and also she is a fantastic singer! She's going to CIM next year for voice.

--alice

April 10, 2006 at 11:21 AM · I've been listening to this since I initially posted, and STILL I can't follow the section where Heather really de-accellerates. I have absolutely no idea where she is up to, and I can't predict the next note. I still like the interpretation overall. I'm still dealing with the ongoing sense of demoralisation that she is only 14 or so.

April 11, 2006 at 05:52 PM · Anyone else concerned about the injuries she describes? :-o

April 11, 2006 at 09:11 PM · I certainly found her comments alarming (she describes her injury problems in detail in her commentary on the web site). Very worrysome for a long-term career. Maybe 7 to 9 hours a day of practice is too much? (that's another thread) She doesn't really say how she is dealing with them. But it seems like an awfully early age to be experiencing injury problems.

April 12, 2006 at 02:00 AM · Hi everybody,

I certainly though this performance was very unique. There is that classic opening practically the same way as many, though.

I am still to hear more than 3 ways to play that praeludium. When I worked on this piece, my teacher refused to let me play it the "singing-phrasing way" and always insisted it should be played more like resounding bells, giving each note a strong detache accent. My teacher studied with Bondarenko at the Gnesin institute in Moscow. Maybe that was just the way he wanted it done.

There is an excentric nature of the school of Bondarenko, including my teacher (sergei Gorbenko) and others like Gidon Kremer. They are more care-free when it comes to interpretation and they want a big sound, even if the sound is not exactly crystal-clear.

I still love some of the flexibility of this performance's Allegro. Good for an individually-minded violinist who clearly steps apart from the copy-cat croud.

Blessings.

May 17, 2006 at 10:58 PM · Kreisler and Pugnani have both rolled over in their graves.

May 18, 2006 at 12:08 AM · Itzhak Perlman's rendition of this song on his "Perpetual Motion" CD is by far my favorite version.

Actually, his "Perpetual Motion" CD done in his prime on that early Guarnerius that I loved him on is my favorite CD of his with "Cinema Serenade" a close second.

May 18, 2006 at 03:11 AM · Is there a Kreisler recording of this piece? In recordings by Kreisler of other pieces, he certainly takes liberties (not this many) and sometimes even adds to the printed score. I think he'd be excited by Engebretson's performance (which I've saved and listened to a few times, and continue to be impressed).

May 18, 2006 at 10:53 AM · No, Kreisler never recorded this piece.

May 18, 2006 at 09:25 PM · In response to the comment about my injuries...

I played From the Top (the first time) the October that I was fourteen (the Kreisler). My arms/hands lasted about two days after that before they were completely unusable- I couldn't even *write*. Anyways, we went to a bunch of doctors and I was in physical therapy and stuff- basically, things kept on getting worse until I went to this other doctor who said that- since I was being treated for carpel tunnel and tendonitis- there was clearly something else wrong in addition to those two things (carpel tunnel in the right wrist, tendonitis in the left): there was some nerve pinching- one of the discs in my neck had kinda popped out of place and was pinching stuff up there, and the ulnar nerve was also messed up in both arms.

Anyways, I didn't really start playing until about April when I was fifteen- but then I had to jump in again with both feet and start performing Sibelius like crazy, which meant that things were kind of screwed up again by July. But a little rest and a LOT of practice time reduction kind of balanced things out- I was fine by the second From the Top performance that October (Brahms). However, if I were still planning to be a violin major, things would have been very different. As things stand now, there's no way that I could have a career in violin because when I freak out and practice really intensely, my arms just don't hold up. I think that part of it is that I'm a very, very small person and that playing might be more strenuous for me than it should be. I'm not sure about that, but some people think that. I was playing a 3/4 for a while when I was fifteen, but I wasn't getting the sound that I needed and scrapped that idea, even though it helped a lot.

But I'm a voice major now, so it really doesn't matter that much anyways.

May 18, 2006 at 09:56 PM · Hi Heather! Hope the singing is going well! "Think of me!"

MG

May 18, 2006 at 10:02 PM · Very well, actually- thanks! I'm doing my first Queen of the Night in about a month: I'm pumped!

May 18, 2006 at 10:10 PM · Sweeeeeeeet! That role was WRITTEN for you--virtuosic, delightfully sinister character haha :) Good luck!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra