Howard Green violin bows.

March 21, 2006 at 08:45 PM · Does anyone play on a Howard Green bow?

Replies (24)

March 21, 2006 at 09:15 PM · me

IG

March 22, 2006 at 12:09 AM · Do you care to elaborate sir?

March 22, 2006 at 12:47 AM · yes

IG

March 22, 2006 at 01:04 AM · Here's Howard's synthesizer project:

http://www.oakleysound.co.uk/gallery5.htm

It has a lot of knobs on it. I hope it's thirty years old.

March 22, 2006 at 01:37 AM · Greetings,

Ilya is not a very elaborate person.

Be thankful for small mercies,

Burp

March 22, 2006 at 01:40 AM · IG,

Does it bounce, does it spring, does it help you do your thing?

Does it Paganini, does it Vieuxtemps, is the bow really made by a Pom?

Does it make you happy, does it sound like tin, does it give you a big wide grin?

March 22, 2006 at 03:11 AM · you can't leave messages on this board without people asking questions. I am very disturbed by this fact.

IG

P.S. heavy bows, stick to the string, good for heavy-duty stuff, mediocre flexibility, but no weak spots in the stick, tried one of his recent lighter ones - no good. Go for the heft. they are also twice the price of when I bought one in 2002.

March 23, 2006 at 03:53 AM · Hi,

Ilya - I understand your frustration. I am certainly a culprit in the questions department. However, you are qualified in a way that most of here are not, and I think that people, especially I, really value your opinion.

As a related analogy, if one had the chance to personally ask Stephen Hawkins questions regarding theoretical physics on a forum, could you blame them for wanting to? This is sort of like that.

Cheers!

March 22, 2006 at 03:48 PM · People ask me questions all the time. "When are you going to have that car repair project completed?" or, "when are you going to stop sawing away on that blasted thing; you are waking the children up?"

That Ilya posts here at all is quite a thrill. I'll leave it at that. (I'm not going to ask him a direct question yet; I'm not good enough to make any use of the answer.) But if he volunteers information, I'll happily absorb it.

At the same time, I think it is a form of genuine acceptance of Ilya's talent that causes the questions. He may take some small pride in that aspect.

March 22, 2006 at 04:26 PM · am I the only one that thinks that a smiley face de-values the joke

IG

P.S. either that or my sense of humor needs a vacation

March 22, 2006 at 04:25 PM · You think IG may go on Oprah ?

March 22, 2006 at 04:31 PM · I already sent 500 emails out to that effect.

March 22, 2006 at 06:25 PM · Smileys took over and started making demands. I expect to see them in novels soon.

March 22, 2006 at 06:54 PM · :-D

8^P

March 22, 2006 at 07:23 PM · Ilya:

You need to put the stupid little smilie face behind anything which is meant to be humerous otherwise people get very cranky and upset.

March 22, 2006 at 07:37 PM · 8^o

March 22, 2006 at 07:45 PM · Pieter,

I would put one in front as well, like the Spanish. Better being safe than sorry

IG

March 22, 2006 at 07:48 PM · :-) /your text here/ :-)

March 22, 2006 at 08:33 PM · Taylor, if you like Mr. Green, you might also like Mr. Guthrie.

March 22, 2006 at 10:42 PM · Greetings,

Ilya, a million thanks and double the quantity of vodka I wa s offering if you ever in my neck of the woods.

However well intended, emoticons have become a great leveller in communication. That is, either any tosspot ;) can say what they like to who they like because they think a smiling face at the end allows any kind of rudeness or, it is apparently no longer necessray to choose words carefully or even read other peoples messages with any serious thought because nuance is no longer a valued commodity compared to a generic grinning idiot.

The human race has indeed devolved back to the grinning chimpanzee stage where language was not on the table but gesture, tongue sticking out and genital scratching achieved the desired end.

;)

Cheers,

Buri.

PS At least you don`t get stopped in the street ten times a day and asked `Can you use chopsticks?` or `Does England have seasons?` :(

March 22, 2006 at 10:50 PM · Buri you had my thoughts exactly. They seem a devolution. I am going to go home and read some Frost. And then maybe some Stoppard. Finally I will read Biowulf in the original script. Keeps your punctuation honest, the juxtaposition that is.

How often do you get asked, "Buri-san, do they have seasons in America?"

March 22, 2006 at 11:16 PM · They're just a substitute for voice inflections and facial expressions present in conversation but not internet-enabled informal conversational writing. Don't get carried away :P Don't converse like you're writing a novel either.

March 23, 2006 at 12:39 AM · ". . . I will read Biowulf in the original script."

Is that a really early version of the bionic man?" ;)

March 23, 2006 at 03:39 AM · >They're just a substitute for voice inflections and facial expressions present in conversation but not internet-enabled informal conversational writing. Don't get carried away

That is of course theoretical explanation and in no way negates my original statement of reality that a) cocky and impolite writing is being used with the user`s belief in an icon imposed impunity and b) there is an acompanying drop in the care and elegance of writing as a consequence.

My original comments were of course humorous because they were accompanied by two icons vaguely to that effect.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe