FAKE STRINGS !!

March 21, 2006 at 06:48 AM · I have recently been informed by one of our importers that he had seen dubious strings in some shops in New Zealand. While they are said to be Savarez Corelli Crystals, the dealer supposedly bought them very cheaply and the customers are not satisfied with their quality. He asked us if the Corelli envelopes do not by accident contain some of our strings. He made this assumption because the end of the strings - the color winding - had a solution which we use in our product Brilliant and which by the way has been patented by us. It is a metal spiral wound on color codes.

I was perturbed by this information, and so I asked him to send me a sample of the strings. I was shocked when I received them. The envelopes are perfect copies of Corelli, only a few millimetres smaller. They contain strings of poor quality. The difference in quality between the original and the copy is like buying a bottle of Coca Cola, and instead finding sweet water which has been colored brown. The producer of these strings didn’t even bother to use synthetic fibre. The core of the strings is made of a simple steel wire and so anybody with basic knowledge of strings will be able to identify them. There may be fakes of a higher quality but these have the quality of strings which in Slovakia sell for a retail price of $ 3.40 including 19% tax.

I guess that if the producer decided to print fake envelopes, he deals in large quantities. I also guess that this copying does not concern only Corelli Crystal strings but perhaps all the reputable producers and their products. These strings of course harm the producer, but to a large extent also the customers. The strings may be sold relatively cheaply, but because they are in the envelopes of reputable producers, their price is still several times higher than their real quality. (As I have mentioned earlier, it is about $ 3.40.)

I would like have an idea about how widespread these fake products are around the world and I would like to ask you to help me. If you come across such fake copies, can you please tell me where you have discovered them and at what price they were sold. You can identify such cheap fakes of synthetic strings very easily. If you look at the ball at the end of strings G, D and A, you will notice that there is just a bare steel wire around it which is common in string E. In strings made from genuine synthetic fibres, there is a bunch of synthetic (usually white) threads around the ball. These threads are very fine and there are usually more than 100. These threads are in a groove and they are often covered with metallic materials which are used as a winding, and sometimes with a colored thread which is used for color codes. There are usually several materials on top of each other, and so the original synthetic core cannot be seen. However, in fake copies, there is just a thin steel wire around the ball.

I believe that you will notice such fake copies and that you will help us, the producers, to rectify the situation on the market. I have no problem with somebody deciding to buy very cheap strings. This customer, however, has the right to get these kinds of strings for $ 3.40 in an envelope that will contain correct information about the origin of the strings. If the customer buys such strings for USD20 with the information that these are e.g. Corelli Crystal strings, both the producer and the customer are harmed.

Thanks

Replies (1)

March 25, 2006 at 11:29 PM · Hi,

Thank you for that post. I for one, will keep a lookout for fake strings. I once saw something usual - they were of Chinese origin. I did not see the package, but the winding resembled those of Dominants, yet they were the cheapest possible, thin, steel strings one could imagine. They were on the violin of a student auditioning who had just come from China (she was not admitted so asking about the strings proved uncomfortable). Perhaps this could be a lead.

Good luck and best regards!

Christian Vachon

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe