Is Viktoria Mullova one of the best violinists alive or not???

March 20, 2006 at 03:30 AM · I have just come back from a concert in Perugia (near Rome), in which Viktoria Mullova, Renaud CapuÇon and Katia Labeque played Ravel Trio and Schubert Trio op. 100. I'm quite disappointed because in Schubert there was no chamber music at all, actually... Each one of them played his/her part and that's it.

Replies (100)

March 20, 2006 at 04:32 AM · Greetings,

`do you like her as a -woman-?`

heaven grant me the chance to find the answe rto that patrticular question.

Chees,

Buri

PS Fantastic player and musician. Gender`s got nothing to do with it.

March 20, 2006 at 06:27 AM · Her Shostakovich concerto, Nel cor piu, and Sibelius concerto are really stellar. She could really get around the fiddle....

March 20, 2006 at 06:44 AM · Great violinist.

March 20, 2006 at 06:47 AM · You can hear her performance of the Brahms last year with Osmo Vanska and the Minnesota Orchestra (in on-demand streaming audio) here:

http://minnesotaorchestraradio.publicradio.org/listening/

The orchestra is experimenting with a one-year on-line archive of select concerts. Also in this 9-concert 2005 archive (in the violin department) is Prokofieff #1 with Leila Josefowicz.

(And I bet this is the only place you can hear Kahlevi Aho's long and often noisy "Insect Symphony.")

March 20, 2006 at 11:02 AM · I would answer most of your questions _Yes_ snd some _No_.

And I can testify that there is not one passage in the entire rep. that she can not play with the most beatiful tone.

March 20, 2006 at 11:32 AM · What do you guys think of Leila Josefowicz?

I heard and saw her play Bruch at the Proms (Royal Albert Hall) on TV last summer and thought it was a really fresh and interesting performance. Her facial expressions were most peculiar but captivating. I thought she was great, then again, she is a woman.

March 20, 2006 at 12:35 PM · What is that supposed to mean, she is a woman?

March 20, 2006 at 02:18 PM · Ha ha! Catherine, my comment was in line with Buri's question to Sergei and not sexist! He said to Sergei `do you like her as a -woman-?`

So, I think Leila's playing is wonderful, but also she is a woman and I find her rather attractive too, so that also influences my decision. Sorry for the misunderstanding, Catherine.

March 20, 2006 at 02:35 PM · Viktoria and Leila are two of my all-time faves, for different reasons. As for what they're like as women, I'm not man enough to ever find that out.

March 20, 2006 at 03:00 PM · We should really stop treating people in our business at objects. Saying someone is one of the "best" implies that there is only one way. Rather, we should ask questions like "Does Mr. or Mrs. **£&$ move you or inspire you?" It is well assumed that if you have won international competitions and are in the solo circuit, you are one of "the best".

March 20, 2006 at 04:14 PM · :)

March 20, 2006 at 04:17 PM · :=)

Cheers!

March 21, 2006 at 03:11 AM · NO the best violinist is Vanessa Mae shes a freakin pop star.

March 21, 2006 at 03:30 AM · Have you noticed no one agrees with you?

Please leave us in peace.

March 21, 2006 at 04:04 AM · From Daniel Broniatowski

Posted on March 20, 2006 at 8:00 AM (MST)

We should really stop treating people in our business at objects. ... Rather, we should ask questions like "Does Mr. or Mrs. **£&$ move you or inspire you?" ...

But, but, but what about Ms. **$&$ I ask? :)

Neil

March 21, 2006 at 08:53 PM · There are a couple of things I want to make clear. The first one is about "What do you think about her as a woman?". Obviously it is NOT a sexist comment, because I'm the less sexist person in the world; I think there would be nothing wrong in asking a girl "what do you think about George Clooney as an actor? and as a man?". Ok, maybe it was out of topic, but are we supposed to talk only about violin and violinists and how they play?

March 21, 2006 at 09:02 PM · Secondly. Daniel, I don't understand how talking about "best violinists" could be related to (or considered as) talking of them "as objects" (as you say).

On the other hand, I admit that my question in the title is not precise enough. It must have been: Is Viktoria Mullova one of the best FAMOUS violinists?

Because I think it's obvious in this forum called Violinists, what we're supposed to talk about are famous violinists....

March 21, 2006 at 10:30 PM · "Have you noticed no one agrees with you?

Please leave us in peace."

too funny

March 21, 2006 at 10:55 PM · Hi,

I have heard Viktoria Mullova once live at the Kennedy Center. She did the Tchaikowsky concerto. I was very, very dissapointed. It certainly was not her good day. The performance sounded totally unemotional if you closed your eyes and just listened. But when you looked at her play with the perpetual frown and clunky movements (like she had a board stuck to her back), she looked like she really hated being on the stage that day. I am not exaggerating. It was a very unpleasant experience. Even her attire was out of place. She wore baggy "dress pants" and an oversize shirt with a belt, all dark muddy color.

Lucia

March 21, 2006 at 11:14 PM · Greetings,

Sergio:

>I'm the less sexist person in the world;

How do you know?

Cheers,

Burp

PS I love to mull over Mullover .

March 22, 2006 at 05:22 AM · viktoria mullova is a great violinist. for a while in the early 90s she was my favourite violinist until i heard fodor :c) as an interpreter sometimes she can be emotionally distant and that's why she fell out of my favour. i have no idea what she's like as a woman because i've never met her.

March 22, 2006 at 07:43 PM ·

March 22, 2006 at 10:52 PM · Greetings,

I tried squirting lemon juice on the screen but nothing came up,

Cheers,

Buri

March 22, 2006 at 11:27 PM · As a violinist, I think she's pretty good.

As a woman, I think she should get out more and stop listening to so much classical music.

March 23, 2006 at 12:10 AM · Considering the fact that she has been on tours most of her life, I think she has been out enough.

March 23, 2006 at 12:02 PM · Buri, try lime instead.

March 23, 2006 at 10:01 PM · hey i know you reel at the fact that a pop violinist can become a pop star but it is true and vanessa mae is a true example

March 23, 2006 at 10:46 PM · Greetings,

this is a thread about Mullova. Keep the garbage about pop violin on the thread you started.

Buri

PS Mattias, do you mean the fruit or the stuff for decomposing dead bodies...

March 24, 2006 at 01:58 AM · I saw Mullova play Bartok 2nd in a purple suit.

March 24, 2006 at 03:08 AM · i have said this and i will say it again just because a violinist is willing to take time and write music that happens to be non classical and happenes to play a zeta or fender instead of a strad or guarneri dosen't mean that he/she is less talented than a violinist who happenes to play a strad or guarneri and play music written by dead white men.

March 24, 2006 at 03:37 AM · Actually, Toni, it does. I'd say more but your numerous posts have proven to everyone, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you're not capable of reading and understanding more than a sentence or two at a time. So let's make this simple.

1) You're wrong

2) You're annoying

3) You should leave this board

4) You're insecure

5) Does your mom know how you're besmirching (that means "debasing" or "making dirty") her name?

March 24, 2006 at 03:40 AM · ELITIST!!!!!

March 24, 2006 at 03:42 AM · and i know what besmirching means.

March 24, 2006 at 03:43 AM · JB should burn his strad and get a zeta and be more like kennedy

March 24, 2006 at 03:43 AM · ouch

IG

March 24, 2006 at 04:07 AM · Finally you're right about something, "Toni". I am indeed an elitist. I believe that good things are better than bad things. I believe in hierarchy, in not holding the competent at par with the extraordinary, or putting the vulgar into the same thought - let alone sentence - as the eternal.

And you, little boy, should really leave. Or are you so starved for friends that you'll take hostile and contemptuous attention in lieu of conversation? Don't you realize that people are laughing AT you, not WITH you?

March 24, 2006 at 04:55 AM · In quite a few languages "Toni" is a girl's name. And we really do not know how much of a pseudonym we are dealing here with.

From an earlier posting:

"From Toni Furman Posted on June 19, 2005 at 12:16 PM (MST) My son attended the Sphinx performance academy last year. It was a great experience for a minority that wants to pursue classical music."

I like this "minority that wants to pursue classical music" bit a lot, it's so extraordinarily grotesque since we all know that it's really a minority pursuing classical music. The best thing to weaken minorities is to split them up into even smaller minorities.

Have a look at http://www.sphinxmusic.org and you will understand that the mindset around this "Toni Furman" person-family has little or nothing to do with music, certainly nothing with composers and their output, worrying more about players of certain skin color, footware size, language orientation and who knows what other non-musical attributes a person might carry along.

Let's assume that Toni isn't Toni but her son who just "borrowed" mother's violinist.com account to fool around a bit.

"Toni" needs help in various directions, I am just not sure, whether this forum is the place to get it from.

FMF

March 24, 2006 at 06:45 AM · Can't you guys spot a wind-up merchant when you see one. Toni is obviously having a laugh with everyone on this board. Nothing more, nothing less. I have to say, I have found his contributions quite amusing.

Regarding Mullova, obviously an excellent violinist. One of the best. Seen her live a few times. Jim Hoyle was saying she needs to get out more. My assessment of her is slightly different. Taught by Kogan, brought up in the Russian tradition, which places a premium on perfection and virtuosity, she has that stern stage manner similar to Heifetz and Kogan. However, from what I have seen of her she seems incredibly shy and quite a warm person.

Just a couple of things. Saw a mini profile of her on a BBC arts programme some years back. She was playing sections from Prokofiev's first sonata, in her own living room, without piano. Incredible playing by the way, totally effortless. Anyway, segments of an interview conducted in her house were interspersed with her playing. During the whole time her first born and only child at the time was being a kid and making funny sounds etc, and she just could not stop laughing. Seeing her like this really charmed me.

Second, she's married to a guy called Matthew Barley, a leading British cellist. This guy plays classical, jazz, electronic music, the works. She herself has admitted that he has helped her relax a bit more and not be so obsessed with perfection. I believe he was the inspiration for her non-classical album, Toni will be happy about this.

Have seen her come out barefoot, for a classical gig. She has performed at places like 'The Spitz', which is a trendy, kind of undergound venue in London, where cutting edge, underground artists come to perform electronica, jazz, folk, experimental music etc. Very informal. No one there would have had a clue who she was. She, by far, is the best dressed of the female artists out there. Funky and trendy, but tasteful and natural, not so formal like Mutter. Toni will like this as well. She has developed a bit of a bohemian quality, which really suits her.

Ok, I have to stop bumping into these violinist, but last year I was coming from a lesson, had my violin case on my back as I got on and sat down in the tube. Sitting directly opposite me was Mullova, without violin, collecting her daughter from school. Her daughter had a lot of energy. What is it with her kids? Anyway, she looks like a great mum, just chilling out, messing around with her kid. For Londoners out there, I was going through Shepherds Bush on the Hammersmith and City line. I had a few stops to go, did not really feel like striking up a conversation. Who needs the pressure of thinking of things to say when there is no escape? So I just sat there, but as I left I told her that I enjoyed her playing. It is only then that she notices my violin case. She's like, 'Oh, thank you' gives me a great big smile and that's the end of the story folks. Sorry, no punchline or amazing anecdote, but she has a great smile. She also looked stunning and was classically turned out, in a modern/minimalist kind of way.

My only point is, that seeing her out of context, in these scenarios, gave me a better impression of who she is. I think she get's out quite a bit and has a better idea of what is going on, than a lot of classical violinists, her husband being no small help. Other things I know about her personal life have also made me warm more toward her.

I'm not having a go or anything, but if I were to level a criticism that someone needed to get out a bit more, it would be at Her Imperial Highness Princess Mutter. I could be wrong, but something about Mutter tells me that she is a bit of a snob, on the high horse a bit, trapped in the world of Mozart, Beethoven and geriatrics (no offence to Previn, we will all be there at some point). You get no hint of snobbery from Mullova, and I love that about her. The impression I get is humility.

Sorry about the essay.

David

March 24, 2006 at 07:10 AM · Great essay! I read a transcript of the interview, or one given in the same environment. I admire anyone with broad interests like she apparently has. There is more than meets the eye in non-classical music, some of it just as "eternal," though it might not be someone's cup of tea for whatever reason. It helps to realize it's not its nature to remain static. Also, it says good things about you that you weren't interested in getting something from her at your meeting.

March 24, 2006 at 11:11 AM · Buri - are they not the same? If it isn't it would surely explain why my chicken didn't taste as when my whife makes it...

March 24, 2006 at 02:06 PM · My post was actually a bit tongue in cheek - (it seemed funny at the time ...)

March 24, 2006 at 03:29 PM · David,

how would you like it if you were trying to have a conversation with someone and you were constantly interrupted by a child jumping in and shouting the same thing over and over, regardless of context? This is what we deal with and why we eventually lose our patience.

Maybe there's some Nickolodeon or MTV forum where TF would fit in better.

March 24, 2006 at 09:18 PM · whoops, duplicate message was accidentally posted, then removed.

March 24, 2006 at 07:08 PM · David,

thank you for your post! It was really a pleasure to read it, because you revealed what we could call "the human side" of a famous person. And you described in such a vivid and realistic way your "encounter" (sorry I cannot find another appropriate english word) with Viktoria...

Moreover, I agree with you as far as Anne-Sophie Mutter is concerned. I don't know her and I don't want to judge a person roughly but I think she's the prototype of the superstar, a little bit snob and so on... even though this doesn't keep me away from considering her an excellent violinist.

Ciao!

Sergej

P.S. Where do you think I could find that BBC programme on Viktoria you were talking about? On the internet?

March 24, 2006 at 08:09 PM · Sergio,

You mentioned your disappointment with the Schubert trio Op.100 you heard in Perugia. Try the video on this link. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.jcmf.org.il/EN/video.asp

March 24, 2006 at 08:27 PM · Ahh... violinist.com, where no troll goes unfed.

March 24, 2006 at 09:24 PM ·

March 24, 2006 at 11:24 PM · don't you guys know who the Sphinx Orginization is?Also I STILL think JB should burn his strad stop acting like a sissy be more like Kennedy and by a Zeta.And Emil i am so glad that classical music is not full of elitists like you it would not exist if that was the case.Also Emil why do you think tha the violin should only be used in classical music please tell me.

March 25, 2006 at 12:10 AM · The violin shouldn't only be used in classical music. It just shouldn't be used in bad music.

By the way, can you honestly tell us that if you had a 4 million dollar strad that you would burn it and buy a zeta?

March 25, 2006 at 01:37 AM · moonshine + imbreeders = Toni

March 25, 2006 at 01:43 AM · i am just using that as a figure of speach in other words i am saying that JB should use his creativity(Which he has alot of.) to explore other generes of music and possibly create his own genre of music.And no,if i had spent 4 million dollars on a strad like JB or just had one period i would defiantly not burn it,but i would buy a zeta or fender or any other electric violin.

March 25, 2006 at 02:54 AM · Where is General Sherman when we need him the most?

March 25, 2006 at 03:01 AM · you guys are something else.

March 25, 2006 at 05:04 AM · General Sherman, what sweet, peace-loving, man he was.

March 25, 2006 at 08:16 AM · I think classical violinists play classical music because they LIKE to do that and not something else. By the way, Toni, do you think JB would be able to decide HIMSELF to turn to pop music (if he would like that, but I'm sure he wouldn't)? Do you think V Mae (with all respect for her fans) would be able to give up her imago as a pop star, just because she would want that? Once you have an imago all over the world, there is no way back.

The situation like it is now, doesn't need to change. There is a public for JB and a public for V Mae.

I would also like to add that popularizing classical music, can give a wrong idea about the real classical music and some people, like you Toni, might get a negative view on the 'traditional' classical violinist. The intentions of a traditional musician are different from those of the pop star.

March 25, 2006 at 12:34 PM · Hi Sarah, from your Bio I noticed one of your teachers was (is) Liviu Prunaru. About 4 weeks ago he played Trios in Mannheim with Prof Meister - p. and Prof Flacsman - c. Marvelous performance with Prokofiew and Dvorak. What a violinist! Try to get hold of his SaintSaens CD : fabulous playing on his delGesu !!

Reg. Viktoria Mullova - IMO she is among the most convincing and warmhearted violinists these days.

Recently we saw a german TV documentary showing how she returned to and performed in her home country after 23 years after winning the Tschaic.Award, and how she nicely takes care of her daughter/ family. Then about her more recent projects with fabulous Vivaldi playing on gut strings, and her excursions into Jazz. Yes indeed, I second the recent "essay" and many of your responses in this thread - I would love to see live on stage such a fine musician and humble person.

Tschüss, HajKohlhaas

PS, Toni reminds me of Toni Turek (german goaly in 1954 Soccer World Championship finale)and Toni Lakatos, great hungarian TenorSax player with whom Victoria M. would love to improvise I'm sure.

Female Toni's don't come to mind right now.

March 25, 2006 at 01:33 PM · Hi,

Turns out, it's just not worth it...

Cheers!

March 25, 2006 at 02:58 PM · Hansjurgen: I heard his recording of Saint-Saens, but don't own one. Not necessary if you can listen a hundred times to it in the lesson :-)

March 27, 2006 at 04:15 AM · I am just saying that JB should broaden his horrizons and explore diffrent types of music like Kennedy and possibly create his own genre of music and become a white Prince.Even though noboby can beat Prince not even Itzhak.

March 27, 2006 at 06:28 AM · What Prince does and what Perlman does are apples and oranges; they could hardly be more different and you cannot compare the two.

March 27, 2006 at 03:25 PM · Mike, I agree, but we can compare Britney and Anne-Sophie, right? Or Madonna and Hilary? :)

Laurie, perhaps Toni Furman should be removed.

March 27, 2006 at 07:43 PM · He is still giving his opinion without talking bad of people or harming anyone or being inappropriate... just annoying.

March 27, 2006 at 08:37 PM · That's right. Diversity of opinions is what it's all about. I just wish it was more like a real opinion, ironically :)

March 28, 2006 at 03:53 AM · Prince is talented he's a f***ing genius just like Perlman, hey maybe they should do an album together along with Vanessa Mae,JB,Kennedy,Ma,Miri Ben Ari,Jean-Luc Ponty,Bela Fleck,The Flecktones,Stanley Clark,Snoop Dogg,Stevie Wonder,Kanye West, Wynton Marsalis,Springsten,U2,Dave Matthews Band,Yellowcard and Bond.And Philip Glass and Quency Jones would compose the music now THAT would be something.

March 28, 2006 at 03:44 AM · Oh and by the way have you guys heard of Daniel Bernard Roumain he's like Prince only he's younger and has dreads,he blends rock,jazz,classical,fusion,hip hop,electronica,techno and pop. You should check him out his wedsite is www.DBR Music.com or you can google DBR Music or Daniel Bernard Roumain.Oh he also composes and has done projects with Juilliard,and he has a nine piece back up band called The Mission that includes an electric string quartet an electric guitarist electric bassest,keyboardist,laptopist,you name it. He is awsome just like Prince AND Perlman.

March 28, 2006 at 04:08 AM · how come every thread that is about a particular classical violinist becomes a thread about why a particular classical violinist should become a pop star?

March 28, 2006 at 04:26 AM · Every classical violinist should become a pop star like Mae and Ponty, and do other genres of music like Mae and Ponty(Ofcorse Mae and Ponty are not classical violinists.)And like I always the classical violinists should compose and possibly create their own genre or music. Ofcorse the heavyweights(Kennedy,Perlman JB) are already pop stars but the person you guys are talking about..........lets just say they should break out the electric violin and MTV or Vh1 camrea crew QUICK.

March 28, 2006 at 04:45 AM · Bill,

I think we have a moron in our midst by the name of Toni or Lewis.

Maybe he will go away soon.

March 28, 2006 at 04:59 AM · Perlman a pop star...hmmm, come to think of it, he does have some startling similarities to Britney Spears. The hair, the moves, not to mention the music.

............*cough*

March 28, 2006 at 05:49 AM · Perlman has the qualities of a pop star unlimited wealth,fame etc you get the picture.

March 28, 2006 at 06:16 AM · He doesn't have unlimited fame. Most regular folk that don't listen to classical music don't know who he is.

March 28, 2006 at 08:38 AM · Shhhh!! Enosh... we're supposed to just coddle him by entertaining his delussional mania while the big burly men in white suits ensare and put him into the straight jacket so that he can be transported to the looney bin where he belongs.

March 28, 2006 at 09:34 AM · Go start "www.violin-pop-star.com" Toni Furman and leave us alone here at www.violinist.com

March 28, 2006 at 09:55 AM · This threat starts being stupid (or maybe it has already been for some time).

Why don't we just go back to the original Mullova topic and ignore the rest that doesn't belong here?

I've never actually heard Viktoria Mullova play but this thread got me interested so I'm looking forward to friday when her Brahms sonata #2 will be on the radio, gonna check that out.

March 28, 2006 at 02:02 PM · She's got a wonderful Tchaikovsky recording!

March 28, 2006 at 02:52 PM · I think there is a topic here about Mullova. I love her Mozart recordings, especially for the tone of both soloist and orchestra. And I heard her live performance of the Brahms, which I thought spectacular.

March 28, 2006 at 04:20 PM · Having read most of the Mullova drool, and were I Toni, it would be incumbent to think or say, "GOTCHA"...and perhaps carve another notch on the bewitching pole.

March 28, 2006 at 08:52 PM · I heard Mullova on Fine Arts Radio late last night. She was splendiforous. Very nice sound. No slouch. But I didn't hear enough to make any comparisons---and I don't know that my comparisons would be worth anything.

It was just fun to hear her, after all this ridiculousness.

On the topic of "pop". After Mullova, some dreadful piano piece came on and I switched the channel to WPLR, and heard a Tom Petty tune, followed by one of Zeppelin's greatests masterpieces.

God, Zeppelin was a phenomenon. Especially interesting as earlier in the day, I had listened to Karl Haas' "Adventures in Good Music" in which he was exploring "music built on the simple chord" and so of course played a number of Beethoven's especially Symphony number 5.

Good rock n roll---which is really blues to a greast extent---is also built on chords--but a progression.

To me, Zeppelin, and even Petty are not pop. They are or were better than that. Real mastery, genius of composition. OK not Beethoven, but the same harmonic underpinnings, the effective use of motifs, etc etc and perhpas especially enjoyable is that the instrumental as well as the vocal aspects are real, made by human hands, virtuosity based, rather than elector-pop programmed keyboard crap. Good Zeppelin is like good Beethoven in the sense of unity, a complete whole, powerful emotions, great sound, great melodic movement etc. Not as "complex" perhaps but raw, thick powerful, delicious music.

What Toni Furman seems to be missing is that many of us "classical" types here are very aware of other genres. We enjoy listening to other things, too, and recognize genius and embrace it. But we *also* recognize that pop is not *superior* to classical and more importantly that great musicians who choose to play classical do so out of an inner core interest--not out of some sense of "fame." You could never make it in classical without a commitment to the music. It is far too much hard work, grueling practices, auditions, more practice...all for what--fame? Forget it!

Would you think that Jimmy Page would be "better" if he switched to a classical guitar? Of course not--if he chooses to play one--out of his own desire, fine. But the classical fans among us would not make such a statement--even though we may like classical music more, we would not say that all pop or rock or whathaveyou would be better if only they played classical.

But for some reason, Toni seems to think that the reverse is valid--that all classical players would be better, more successful, more appreciated if only they would play "pop."

See the problem, Toni? The reason people are tiring of you is that you are a musical "bigot"--thinking that pop is always better.

The rest of us tend to be not so closed rock fans as well as classical fans--we just don't see the need to force either camp to change.

March 28, 2006 at 05:03 PM · I think Mullova is a really interesting (and interested) artist. Personally I haven't enjoyed everything I've heard her do, but it has never sounded boring or un-thought-about.

Also I find it really hilarious the way "Toni" gets these reactions out of people. It's like watching someone trampling their furniture, knocking over lamps, etc., basically trashing their living room, because they are trying to swat a mosquito. (Better analogy would be a fly; at least mosquitoes have a sting)

March 28, 2006 at 05:12 PM · Flatting swies with an ax while blindfolded...

Brucie--who's *your* "favorite* rock n roller? :-)

March 28, 2006 at 05:56 PM · Don't you mean swatting flies?

I don't think anyone would classify Led Zeppelin as pop. And I agree with everything bill_ said. The sad thing in my opinion is that the music of most other genres (popular ones) is just so bad these days. Look at 60s and 70s, when popular music was so great as to have Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. There it can really be appreciated. But today, pop has all these useless subgenres that sound exactly the same and are all just mechanical wank. There are maybe a couple of good bands out there but they are of course overshadowed by the bad ones. I could go on and on... but it doesn't really matter.

March 28, 2006 at 05:59 PM · nono, i have to say i agree with toni. we are so narrow minded...pop is obviously a higher form of music than classical. I feel like i'm getting more and more ignorant every day when i play scales and learn the music of schumann, when in fact i can be entertaining simple minded nitwits (like toni) with my zeta violin.

again, another puss-filled moron who ought to be locked in a portapody and have it set on fire.

dan

March 28, 2006 at 06:10 PM · why do you guys dissagree with me that a violinist can become a pop star,it dose not matter what instrument you play,in my opinion the violin(especialy the electric one) is more sutied for pop music than any other instrument.

March 28, 2006 at 09:27 PM · Toni,

Please see my *post under "Choreography" and check your email.

Preston

*edit: "post", not "most"

March 28, 2006 at 10:10 PM · Enosh,

People have this totally inane idea that music was so much better in the 60s and 70s. Back then, there was still a huge amount of forgettable, plastic pop that no one knows today. If you look at the amount of music that was out there, and how much is remembered now, you'd definately revise your statement.

March 28, 2006 at 10:36 PM · Well, we remember the Mozarts and forget the Salieris. :)

March 28, 2006 at 10:45 PM · In Japan, the classical artists are feted as pop stars almost. Right, Buri?

March 28, 2006 at 11:08 PM · I hadn't heard the "plastic pop" of the early 70's sincer the early 70's---until the other day, when some infomercial that would have put Ronco and K-tel to shame came on. IT was the mother of all compilations. Suddenly, I was hearing bad music from my youth. A lot of it was really silly (no wonder it is forgotten now). The good part was that many of these old songs had imprinted at a specific moment in time, and so they actually caused me to recall specific memories--for instance going to squirt B hockey practice in 1973, playing at the pool in '74, vacation '75 etc. It was uncanny!

March 28, 2006 at 11:56 PM · I know there was a lot of crap back then, too. But the really really big artists like Led Zeppelin were amazing and at least they existed because today there is no band that can be called the equivalent of Led Zeppelin... it's almost all crap except for maybe some things that are not bad but still not comparable to Zeppelin and the other few great bands existing back then.

March 29, 2006 at 12:28 AM · That really was a profound ten or twenty years. A mini-renaissance I think. It would have been strange if there was no music reflecting that fact. The depression years produced good music too.

March 29, 2006 at 08:20 AM · Enosh, there is a lot of high quality music... you just need to search. A lot of the time, the greatness of bands like Led Zepplin becomes overstated out of pure nostalgia and not really a genuine assessment of what people are hearing.

March 29, 2006 at 08:27 AM · Sergio

I doubt you will be able to get the arts programme I mentioned anywhere now, it was a while back. I think it was actually an LWT production, not the BBC. I do remember her more recently being interviewed on the BBC's News 24 Hard Talk programme as well. Again, don't know how you would be able to get it.

Mullova also has a website which is pretty good.

http://www.viktoriamullova.com/

March 29, 2006 at 04:44 PM · Bill - I don't have a favorite rock & roller, or pop star for that matter.

And Toni - it somehow took this long to occur to me: not everybody WANTS to be a pop star &/or play the electric violin. Sometimes people are happy just playing classical music and not anything else.

March 30, 2006 at 12:22 AM · I don't judge music on nostalgia, I judge it on how it sounds to me... and Led Zeppelin sounds great. I like other bands , too, but was just using them for my examples.

March 30, 2006 at 02:03 AM · now back to Mulova.

She is one of the last great exponents of the Soviet School. She did study with Kogan.

Hence her disciplined playing, and immaculate technique.

For those who think that she seems stiff when she plays, it is only an illusion. She does not move much and let's the instrument speak for her.

I wish we could hear her more often in the USA.

March 30, 2006 at 02:16 AM · I like her very much as a woman; not so much as a polar bear but better as a REALLY talented barnyard fowl.

March 30, 2006 at 03:34 AM · Is anyone on this website intrested in rock and pop and electric violins,guitars etc? Am i the only strings player in the world intrested in this stuff?

March 30, 2006 at 03:55 AM · Rock, sure. A lot of people on this very thread have been praising Led Zeppelin, and I adore the Beatles. Pop not so much, and for the last time, none of us like Vanessa Mae. :)

March 30, 2006 at 04:10 AM · This is my favorite piece of all time.

http://singingfool.com/musicvideo.asp?publishedId=248547

March 30, 2006 at 05:25 AM · HOLY CRAP!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe