Waxman Carmen Fantasy

March 12, 2006 at 05:53 PM · Does anyone know where to find the Waxman Carmen Fantasy, or have a copy they'd be willing to trade for something?

Replies (33)

March 12, 2006 at 06:34 PM · http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=8345

March 14, 2006 at 01:42 AM · I am in the process of getting it, and may be able to email it to you in a couple of weeks.

March 14, 2006 at 02:26 AM · I like Stern's recording of this one under the composer's baton.

March 14, 2006 at 02:38 AM · The parts are available only as rentals, since the family still owns the "copyright" rights.

March 14, 2006 at 03:39 AM · You can buy the music from John Waxman:

Fidelio Music Publishing Company

39 Danbury Avenue Westport, CT 06880

Phone: 203-227-5709

March 14, 2006 at 04:10 AM · I was referring to solo & orchestral parts.

March 14, 2006 at 04:49 AM · thanks to everyone, but i was able to locate a copy. Luke if you want that process sped up I can e-mail you the copy i got

May 8, 2006 at 05:53 AM · hi andrew, i'm very interested in a copy of waxman's fantasie, so please if you are kind to send me a copy i'll be very pleased because it's impossible ton find here in venezuela also i'm trying to start to work on it.in every thing i can help you as well please let me know.

May 8, 2006 at 06:19 PM · I have the music to this, violin part only, and people regularly send me personal messages to ask for it. So feel free.

May 8, 2006 at 09:37 PM · I have it as mp3

October 12, 2006 at 10:49 AM · Hi,

I have two copies of the Waxman. And you are welcome to one if you have something you want to trade me. I will never play that piece so I would like someone who wants it to get it and trade me for something that I don't have. Let me know.

Leo

October 12, 2006 at 01:35 PM · Hi,Leo, if you want to trade for sheet music I would accept because I have some sheets.If you are interested send me an e-mail.

October 12, 2006 at 02:15 PM · If you want a nice recording try kogan's recording. It is amazing. I can't explain it. you have to listen it. It is CD from label arlecchino Leonid Kogan's legacy vol 3 or vol 22.you can listen the sample http://www.amazon.com/Leonid-Kogan-Legacy-Orchestral-Encores/dp/B000003LQF/sr=8-1/qid=1160662808/ref=sr_1_1/104-0252137-5343954?ie=UTF8&s=music

But it is difficult to find them. I find one guy and he sold all the cds from arleccino but he sold them 45 dollars for cd. it was expensive. if you interesting i can give you his e-mail.

if not you can find waxman's carmen with korsakov. it is not very famous violinist but he is very good.he was kogan's student.

Vengerov and heifetz also played this fantasy.

October 13, 2006 at 02:44 AM · I like the Nadja recording on the cd Humoresque. It's phenomenal.

October 13, 2006 at 03:54 AM · I've got a Glenn Dicterow video performance with his NY Phil that I taped off public television nearly 20 years ago. Margaret Pardee was in the audience for this performance and she RAVED about it afterwards.

Afterwards, Dicterow was interviewed by Walter Cronkite. He called this work a "white knuckler" and said that it was harder than the Bizet version.

October 13, 2006 at 07:29 AM · Lara St. John's recording on her "Gypsy" CD is pretty great too, IMHO. (she plays a 1-year-old violin for that recording)

October 13, 2006 at 10:26 AM · Kevin - Harder than the "Bizet" version? :)

October 16, 2006 at 02:39 AM · I don't know harder or not-- I imagine they're both beyond me-- I haven't looked. But listening, I like the Waxman better!

October 16, 2006 at 05:13 AM · Mattias,

I agree totally :):))

October 16, 2006 at 09:48 AM · Listen and watch the Waxman Carman Fantasy played by Kogan from an old Soviet TV program here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7HaZMCD6lKM

It is amazing!! To say the least.

May 23, 2007 at 10:11 PM · can any one plese send to me?? i been looking for to play carmen fantashys since i was 17 years old and now am 43 if you have it, can you plese send to me at mike_Chen3212@hotmail.com

May 24, 2007 at 02:13 AM · check your email

May 24, 2007 at 02:44 AM · Can I have one also? pyily@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.

May 24, 2007 at 11:14 PM · I can't be PMed any more as the email is an old work one, try zen18633 (at) zen co uk if anyone wants it

May 25, 2007 at 07:33 PM · Yes, I can compare Kogan's recording with nobody's, he plays so virtusily and so bright, and it is very interesting that he plays his own version, and he does not follow the original, you can check this in the cadenzas (especially the first), and I really prefer kogan's view of it. This has a very interesting story, my teacher told my that Kogan wrote the solo part himself while listening to his idol’s performance of this piece: Heifetz! It was too hard to get a score of a new composed work in the Soviet Union, so Kogan wrote it himself, and somebody wrote the orchestra part relying on the recording. Nobody can be sure, but this could explain the different Kogan’s interpretation of this piece.

Actually I read somewhere that till now this piece was not published legally, this means that it has no copyright or something, has any body heard about this?

July 14, 2007 at 08:40 AM · Does anyone have a copy of the Kogan rendition of the piece?

July 15, 2007 at 10:35 PM · The sheet music of Kogan's version. I already have the CD, but I would really like to learn to play it just like he does. Thanks!

July 15, 2007 at 11:25 PM · I don't think it is published. I heard someone who performed kogan's version at Bowdoin. He said that he had copied it down by listening to the recording.

July 15, 2007 at 11:35 PM · waxman: has any connection with wax museum?

July 17, 2007 at 01:28 AM · does anyone have a copy of the orchestral score of this?

July 18, 2007 at 06:26 PM · Any downloads or posting of this Waxman arrangement are illegal.

As of 226 John Waxman is making the violin solo/piano Carmen edition available for $125.00 for domestic orders, and $150.00 for international orders. The means of payment is

no credit cards, checks for domestic orders, wire transfers for international orders.

John Waxman is currently reachable at

Themes & Variations

1255 Fairfield Beach Road

Fairfield, CT 06824

(Fax: 203-259-0405)

His email JWWAXMAN at aol dot com

Interested parties should contact John by email.

The Full orchestra score and the parts are available only on rental as the Waxman arrangement is under copyright worldwide.

Franz Waxman

"CARMEN" FANTASIE: 9:25

Based On Themes From The Bizet Opera (1947)

2 (d picc) 2 (d eh) 2 2 - 423 - timp 4 perc: BD/cym/tamb/tgl - hp -str.

Full Orchestra score and parts

WEB site http://tnv.net/

Best,

David M. Carp

Librarian, Themes & Variations

dcarp at nj dot rr dot com

July 18, 2007 at 07:45 PM · Anyone else find $125 a little steep for a ten-minute piece?

July 18, 2007 at 10:29 PM · Many libraries carry it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe