Benoit Rolland

March 8, 2006 at 04:40 PM · I'm interested in Rolland. Who has a bow of his or experience with them? What are your feelings about them?

Replies (27)

March 9, 2006 at 01:00 AM · I have a bow of his in my collection.

Excellent maker. He now lives in Boston.

March 9, 2006 at 03:06 AM · So does this mean that he makes American bows?

March 9, 2006 at 04:06 AM · He is French, but happens to live here now, and because the market for his bows is here.

Sartory also lived in the US for a bit, and so did some other very famous makers.

March 9, 2006 at 04:31 AM · ... like E. A. Ouchard....

March 9, 2006 at 01:48 PM · Rolland is very good. I tried a couple of them. Just keep in mind that his price is almost twice of the makers living in France.

March 9, 2006 at 04:55 PM · But he is one of the Best of the older generation (of contemporary makers) along with Raffin and B. Millant.

And his prices reflect his stature in his "metier" (field/profession).

March 9, 2006 at 07:43 PM · Gennady,

I've never heard anyone else be so enthusiastic about Raffin's bows. No one questions his expertise, but I had no idea his bows were so excellent as well.

I think Rolland is selling around the same as Thomachot, and can be had at a few shops for $5000. I was just asking about the nationality issue because with violins where one makes them seems to matter a lot.

March 9, 2006 at 09:09 PM · Pieter,

We never stop learning in life :)

It is possible that you have not tried nor spoken to anyone who has owned Raffin's bows.

As you know by now, I own a Raffin bow, and I love it. I was offered a lot for it, but I did not want to part with it. It is G/T, and plays great.

Because Raffin is so busy, he is able to make only 1-3 bows per year.

And if one is lucky to get a bow from him, they will most definitely treasure it.

It is interesting that you are asking questions about Rolland on this thread, and then on the other telling us about him.

March 9, 2006 at 09:17 PM · I only know what is on his website. That tells me nothing of how they handle Gennady.

I have no interests in the peddling of bows, unlike you clearly do. I'm just a lowly buyer.

March 9, 2006 at 09:39 PM · I do recommend that you curb the tone of your replies. I do make it known what I do.

And for your future reference, it is not "peddling" but representing several makers such as Yannick LeCanu and Sylvain Bigot.

I did answer a whole lot of your questions in the last 8 months din't I? :)

BTW, your last entry is quite insulting considering that my first initial post regarding Rolland answered your question with no strings attached:

"I have a bow of his in my collection.

Excellent maker. He now lives in Boston. "

March 9, 2006 at 09:40 PM · Yes, of course. I have always been appreciative of your advice and expertise, however this isn't the first time you've been suspicious of me, which I really don't understand.

March 9, 2006 at 11:50 PM · Pieter,

I am stating a fact of how your tone comes across when you say things like:

"I have no interests in the peddling of bows, unlike you clearly do." or

"Gennady, if you're going to keep speaking French, at least spell correctly. "

etc.

Keep in mind, that interenet will project only the written words, that is why it is recommended to be cordial and respectful of one another. Setting a negative tone does not benefit anyone. And such entries of yours are viewed as negative even if you may not think so.

How would you react if you received such entries? positive? don't think so.

Keep that in mind. Peace, out............

BTW, I am listed in the current STRINGS Resource Guide under letter F:

Filimonov Fine Musical Instruments.

By appointment only. Expertise & Appraisals.

Member of Appraisers Association of America.

March 10, 2006 at 12:58 AM ·

"Yannick LeCanu and Sylvain Bigot"

I've liked the bows I've seen/played by these two makers...

March 10, 2006 at 01:28 AM · Gennady,

You made a lighthearted remark about someone's spelling of your name. I was making a light hearted remark on your repeated use of a French phrase when something in English would serve your purpose just as well, and would probably be spelled properly in the process.

Also, my intention is not to be insulting, but sometimes your comments seem like thinly veiled suspicion of some sort of conspiracy.

March 10, 2006 at 02:00 AM · Pieter,

Not at all. It is your comments that (at times)are veiled with a sence of ironic sarcasm & or blunt arrogant remarks.

If you want to be more light-hearted in your comments, perhaps choose your words more carefully.

Anyway, let's move on shall we...............

Back to your original post:

I have a bow of his (Rolland)in my collection.

Excellent maker. He now lives in Boston.

March 10, 2006 at 02:00 AM · Gennady, your website is still not working...can you email me the sample of "Morango...almost a tango"?

As well are you familiar with the string quartets of H.W. Ernst?

March 10, 2006 at 02:03 AM · Hey Jonathan,

The website should be working.

And yes, all those links have to be updated.

Let me know more about the Ernst quartets.

Perhaps email me.........thanks.

March 10, 2006 at 02:06 AM · Done deal Gennady, I look forward to hearing back.

March 11, 2006 at 11:50 PM · Anyone else?

March 13, 2006 at 12:17 PM · Pieter,

I hesitate to respond, as I am only a novice player & don't know that my feedback will be of much assistance to you.

I play a contemporary instrument w/ any of 4 bows. Two bows are by Benoit, one in pernambuco & the other in carbon (European production). My other two bows, although pernambuco, are of the inexpensive variety.

Rolland's wooden bow is by far my best. With it, my teacher can do simply amazing things. I believe the stick is from Fetique's old stock; at least, that is what I was told by the seller. I have corresponded with Benoit over the past year; and he has been very friendly & quite obviously knows his stuff.

I did listen to quite a few bows, played by several decent players, on my own instrument before selecting the Rolland pernambuco bow, which (to my ear) sounded the best. When I play, its tone production is also superior to my other bows, again on that single instrument.

Based on that limited experience, Benoit got my wholehearted endorsement. Other experiences will vary, depending on the violin I should think.

March 13, 2006 at 05:46 PM · Joyce,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

May 21, 2014 at 01:03 AM · Anyone know how much Rolland charges these days?

May 21, 2014 at 01:41 AM · My teacher said they go for around $8000.

May 21, 2014 at 01:43 AM · Last I checked it was more than pretty much anyone else.

May 21, 2014 at 04:47 AM · Thanks for that.

May 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM · I tried a Rolland at Heinls a few months ago here in Toronto.Excellent bow! I think they were asking $15000.00CDN.

July 18, 2014 at 01:27 AM · Benoit Rolland is my absolute favorite modern bow maker.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe