To use a Shoulder Rest or Not To use a Shoulder Rest

March 3, 2006 at 06:35 AM · I have been told by many different people that shoulder rests are horrible and can cause all kinds of problems later on in life, I have also been told that they are wonderful and a necessity for beginners. What is your opinion? Just wanted to kind of see what people here thought, please explain why or why not you agree with the use of shoulders rests period.

Replies (5)

March 3, 2006 at 07:18 AM · Please do an archive search.

March 3, 2006 at 10:14 AM · I second that. (I can't believe they allowed this topic...again).

March 3, 2006 at 02:21 PM · If you search the archives, you will see that there is no "right" answer to your question, just as there is no "right" answer to the question of what strings are best. Thus, I would suggest that you forget you asked the question and simply see what works best for you. Since there are great violinists who use rests and great violinists who do not, your potential career should not be affected by this issue.

March 3, 2006 at 06:14 PM · flip a coin over the issue. that is the right answer for you. aka it doesn't matter either way.

March 4, 2006 at 03:33 AM · I think the question should be allowed to be asked as often as anyone wants.

Yes, search the archive.

This is sort of like talking about the weather. Everyone is impacted by the decision of whether or not to use a rest. There seems to be no clear answer but many clear opinions.

In my opinion healthy discussion is healthy.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe