Melbourne Conservatory of Music

February 28, 2006 at 06:46 PM · This message goes to anyone who has auditioned for the Melbourne Conservatory of Music (which i pressume is not many of you) and this especially goes to Fiona Doig (You don't know me but I do the MYM Summer School camps every year and I know of you and how your in Melb Con now lol):

Im planning to audition for the Melb Conservatory this year and I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING about wat happens in the audition and wat they ask you in the audition? (i.e sight reading difficulty? theory q's? aural test? scales? general q's about urself? who takes it?[Willian Hennessy? or others as well?])

???

Cheers,

Kas

Replies (7)

March 1, 2006 at 10:01 AM · Someone Respond Please!!!!! :(

March 2, 2006 at 01:06 AM · I studied at Melbourne University for some time in the 1990's. I studied Eng/Sci but was actively involved in a number of groups involving students and graduates of the music faculty. I played with them here in Melb and abroad many times. Some of the students played well, some were very average, and some I worked with were quite bad. If you are a resonable player, and your VCE marks are in order, I wouldn't stress too much about the audition.

What level are you playing at? (AMEB). What pieces are you going to audition with? I completed both A.Mus.A and L.mus.A and when I did this, the only students of my teacher who I remember failing were music students at Melbourne. They went on the graduate comfortably.

March 2, 2006 at 05:46 AM · I am studying for my a.mus which the exam will be in Novemeber. Im playing Concerto No. 9 be De Beriot, Romanza Andaluza by Sarasate, Summer from the four seasons and Entertainer by joplin.

When you say VCE results, do you mean in general (ENTER) or the score for music solo performane?

March 2, 2006 at 09:12 AM · I think they will look at both ENTER and your music score. Obviously the course is more than just playing (music history, theory, composition...)

If you are preparing for your A.mus.A and are a reasonable player of that level, I think you will be ok. I have known a lot of people to stuff up the audition and still get in. It really depends on how many places there are, what emphasis they place on performance, and the quality of the other students auditioning.

March 8, 2006 at 09:42 PM · Long time since I was in Melbourne, but when I did my audition, it was just a concerto movement and a small chat with two people - the then Head of Strings and someone else. I was surprised they didn't want to hear more, and they laughed at me and asked if I had another concerto to play. All in a nice way of course.

I have the impression the standard has lifted somewhat in the last ten years or so with William Hennessy there.

March 9, 2006 at 11:41 AM · Argh! wow, a semi-personalised question!

I've just started at the con this year. I found the audition was quite relaxed...there was NO sight-reading, scales, or aural tests in the audition, though there is a separate aural test which you have to take which ranges from basic interval recognition to more complex melodic dictation & chord progression, some simple analysis and writing comments on a recorded piece of music. This is NOT however a test to determine whether or not you get in, it's just for if you do get in, a way of streaming you into groups for aural tutorials. Nothing to be worried about.

The audition itself was taken by the head of strings & a string teacher. They were very friendly...asked a bit about repetoire, previous teachers, if i had a request for a teacher, if i were doing a double degree & if i would be doing chamber music and ensembles. I played Bach Allegro Assai from the C Major Sonata (which they heard all of), Schumann’s 1st sonata (about 2/3 of the first movement…2 ½ pages or so)…bit of a funny choice of rep but I didn’t have much choice at the time. I also had a Paganini caprice prepared which they didn’t hear—I think you’re meant to have a study & Kreutzer, Rode, Dont or Pag are all fine I think. I think if you’re preparing your Amus you shouldn’t have a problem with rep…just choose something you can play convincingly and try to enjoy!

Your ENTER score really doesn’t come into play, or your music performance score. Think that the only prerequisite is a score of over 30 in an English subject—I got a letter before the ENTERs were even released saying that my audition had been successful & I would be offered a place if I achieved this prerequisite. So I don’t really think that you need to worry about scores--a good audition will do it.

Phew that was quite a rant!!! Please let me know if there’s anything else I can try and help you with…and say hi if you see me around!!

--Fiona

March 11, 2006 at 02:16 PM · roughly when are the audition for the melb con held?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe