Can Quasimodo play the violin?

February 21, 2006 at 12:07 AM · Funny title, but read the rest and you'll find out why I chose it. I have an unusual spinal condition called kyphosis (it's like a funny mutated version of scoliosis) that makes it extremely difficult to stand or sit up straight. My question is this: will this affect my playing later down the road?

Replies (8)

February 21, 2006 at 12:39 PM · I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you anything particularly medical or scientific. I have a slight kyphosis but it is not progressing as far as I know. It has never been a problem technique-wise for the violin, however, I do suffer back pain when sitting for long periods in poor orchestral chairs.

It probably depends on what sort of kyphosis you have and also where it is in your spine and how big the curve is. I would speak with your doctor if I were you, and also find out about excercises for stengthening the abdominal muscles if you do not already do them.

Also, after playing the violin and probably before, do some stretches.

Hope that's been of some help, I'm sorry I can't help more.

February 21, 2006 at 09:02 PM · I agree. And remember, with the kind of problem you have, you do not have a "standard body." The things that might make sense for others may not work for you. And you may find that some things work better for you than they would for others. You need someone willing to work on YOUR SPECIFICS, not just giving you general principles.

Good luck.

Cordially, Sandy

February 22, 2006 at 03:00 AM · Luckily you are only a quasimodo. Full modos (incluidng komodos) have it a lot worse.

February 22, 2006 at 04:15 AM · Greetings,

yes, I have never met a komodo who hasn`t had to quit playing the violin. The ones in Kimonos are the most at risk,

Cheers,

buri

February 22, 2006 at 06:58 AM · Greetings,

no. Its a complex problem that has a huge diversity of levels and treatments with variable outcomes and urgent need of specilaist attention.

Cheers,

Buri

February 22, 2006 at 05:22 PM · Good luck, breathe deeply, and I can suggest one piece which could become your trademark - La Campanella ;-)

February 22, 2006 at 06:11 PM · Whether it's Quasimodo or Full Modo, just make sure it's not automodo, trimoto, or remoto, but that it's yourmodo and not someone else's modo. Just relax and have a drink of Asti Spimodo.

Mr. Moto

February 22, 2006 at 06:25 PM · I'm not very familiar with kyphosis, but I've heard of a guy in Boston who's really good at prepping the violin for ergonomics. For instance, he makes custom chin rests so well that his clients don't even have a neck mark. If you want me to find out his name, I can ask around my symphony.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe