Ysaye

February 17, 2006 at 06:56 AM · Does anyone know where I might find a score for Ysaye's "Amitie" (for 2 violins and orchestra/piano)? I think it may be his opus 26. The piece definitely exists -- Oistrakh recorded it -- but I have not been able to find printed music to buy or borrow.

Replies (9)

February 17, 2006 at 11:58 AM · Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the same piece, but Ysaye did transcribe a two violin work (written for Queen Elizabeth of Belgium)into a work for two violins and viola called "Le Londres" trio. They are both obscure, but I am playing the trio in March. Really not sure where to find them. I was lucky to find the trio in CIM library. Good luck!

February 17, 2006 at 04:38 PM · It is out of print now.

It used to be published by Schott Freres in Belgium, but there is no contact from them anymore, which Clint and I have both tried many times. There was also the full score of it in facsimile, but as well, is out of print.

The London Trio is acutally a transcription of the first movement from the Sonata for 2 Violins. Ysaye was disappointed because the Queen couldn't catch up to his standard and played the Duo Sonata with him, so he spread it out from 2 to 3 instruments.

The parts for the London Trio, same as Amitie, was publised by Edition Ysaye, supplied by Schott Freres, which also in this case, is "temporary" out of print, until someone from Schott Freres is responding. The most likely places to find them are libs.

February 17, 2006 at 08:40 PM · I of course agree with Kenny...I've run across the piece a few times at the Library of Congress for instance.

April 4, 2006 at 07:25 PM · What a pity this score is out of print... But maybe is it possible to find somebody having the facsimile? Dear friends, please tell us if you have this score...

Other question... I know only the version played by Oistrakh father&son, does someone know another version?

Bye!

E.

April 4, 2006 at 07:48 PM · I do have a facsimile of the full score for Amitie, but I'm afraid it's too big to scan.

April 4, 2006 at 07:56 PM · Hey Kenny! I saw you have the fac simile of Ysaye (Amitié). I'd like so much to have it!!!

You really don't think that a scan is possible ?

If copies are possible, I can send you money for the shipping...

Or if you find an other solution, don't hesitate!

Thank you very much!

E.

April 4, 2006 at 10:30 PM · It's too big to scan because the score is in A3 size. At the moment I have no way to have it scanned.

Clint and I are investigating about a website, to cut it short, that looks like they are still supplying all these Edition Ysaÿe products, but so far they have given no respond to my 2 emails upon payment method (The payment method on the website looks VERY insecure). We will try to keep everyone updated.

June 19, 2014 at 11:45 PM · This may be a little late to respond, but an excellent Doctor of Musical Arts thesis, which documents the history of the piece and presents a critical full-score edition with Ysaye's original fingerings and bowings, based on a careful reading of the composer's surviving autograph manuscripts, as well as a reconstruction of the torso of the 2nd movement is available here: http://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/18739. It is a free download and highly recommended reading.

June 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM · http://www.orchestralibrary.com/

A chart of the publications of Eugene Ysaye created in 2009 by Kenny Choy, Clinton F. Nieweg, and Emil Chudnovsky is posted at

Updates are welcome.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe