Need String Quartet Music for a Wedding

February 17, 2006 at 06:56 AM · I'm responsible for directing a string quartet at a wedding...we need a half hour of music, but I can only find about three songs: Ave Maria (Schubert), Emperor Quartet, and Berceuse (Godard). And this definitely does not add up to even ten minutes. Anybody have suggestions or know where I can find sheet music for these or other string quartets? (In case you don't know what a string quartet is, it's two violins, a viola, and a cello).

Replies (17)

February 17, 2006 at 07:42 AM · see the FAQ. Music can be purchased at any major music distributor such as SharMusic

February 17, 2006 at 08:40 AM · Years ago, my string quartet played at a wedding. Our program consisted of Beethoven, op. 18, 3; Dvorak, op. 96; Wolf, Italian Serenade.

But those pieces, especially the Wolf, needed a lot of practice before we dared play them in public.

February 17, 2006 at 12:08 PM · www.virtualsheetmusic.com has a wedding collection for string quartet.

February 17, 2006 at 03:04 PM · Southern Music publishes a collection with the trad. Mendelssohn and Wagner, plus other trad. wedding pieces (Bach, Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Clarke, etc.) I'm not sure who the editor is.

For additional pieces the collection "String Music of the Baroque Era" by Irma Clarke (pub. Boston Music Co.) is good.

To top it off, Mozart, 16 Easy Quartets or Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, which your players should already know.

February 17, 2006 at 03:53 PM · There are some nice Scott Joplin Rag arrangements for string quartet which are ideal for wedding, such as Paragon Rag, Golf Club and Maple Leaf Rag. They're really good for after the ceremony and people are swanning around with champagne glasses. One of the weddings we did recently the bride had us play "Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" as she walked down the aisle. There's also the good old Pachelbel's Canon. The Mozart Divertimento in D takes up oodles of time with all the repeats in.

February 17, 2006 at 04:08 PM · Take a look at the wedding collections at Luck's Music

http://www.lucksmusic.net/ Click on the Solo & Ensemble link then download the PDF file which has a long and comprehensive list of all types of string music combinations. The last pages lists various ensemble wedding collections. The quartet that played at my son's wedding used two of the Latham collections.

Half an hour will go by too quickly. My group played for a three hour wedding reception using a wide variety of music which was very well received. 3 hours of playing without repeating any pieces. :-)

February 17, 2006 at 06:47 PM · Jonathon, where can I find this Arrival of Queen Sheba? I'd like to see how it sounds.

February 17, 2006 at 08:51 PM · The Wedding Album for String Quartet arrranged by Latham (available through Luck's Music) includes:

Entrance of the Queen of Sheba - Handel

Trumpet Tune - Purcell

Trumpet Voluntary - Clark

Wedding March - Wagner

Rondeau - Mouret

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - Bach

Ave Maria - Schubert

Air on the G String - Bach

Aria from Xerzes - Handel

Largo from the Four Seasons - Vivaldi

Wedding March - Mendelssohn.

I don't remember what I paid for the packet but it was rather reasonable.

February 18, 2006 at 12:39 AM · Thanks Wanda for mentioning Latham! It's been 5 years since I gave up the string quartet (viola) for fiddling.. but that one sticks in my mind. We used quite a few of the arrangements. The melody is passed around nicely... so I particularly enjoyed it! :) Be a bit careful though.. we found several misprints (wrong notes.) They were easily fixable though and we enjoyed the arrangements very much!

Katie

February 18, 2006 at 04:09 AM · Yes, the Latham book is good...I have a few of those pieces, and they probably are better than the Southern Music book. Latham also does a good violin/piano duo wedding book.

Last Resort publishes good duo, trio and quartet wedding books.

February 24, 2006 at 03:26 PM · Problem solved:

I went to H&H Music this weekend and picked up a set of books by Aufderhaar called Wedding Music and More Wedding Music...for string quartet w/optional bass...now I'm jsut waiting on H&H to order the cello part for the first set...

I've got plenty of music, now! Thanks!

December 15, 2006 at 02:24 AM · Check out www.sanibelmusic.org/publications

You can find anything you want for string quartet, flute quartet, trios and more...

December 15, 2006 at 08:00 AM · Mozart 1st divertimento, i've played this at endless weddings!

December 15, 2006 at 09:35 PM · its often overplayed, but pachalbels canon? adds up to nearly 10 minutes by itself! :-) Also, there are some lovely arrangements of trumpet voluntary for strings, its lovely, and remember, it really doesn't matter what you play, once you act pro!

Had a quartet gig last night at a dinner party, only had a bout 30 mins of repertoire and some christmas carols, and we really hadnt practiced, by thru some carefully planned repeats, managed to make it last 2 hours, with no complaints whatsoever....plus we got to take full advantage of the free bar after!! :-)

December 16, 2006 at 12:11 AM · There are a bunch of collections published by Latham Music Ltd., including three they call Wedding Albums. Lots of very playable stuff. Also look into arrangements of (mostly) Baroque pieces for string quartet which are part of the Medici Music Press listings. Latham is at 800-645-7022 or www.latham-music.com I've had the best luck getting Medici's stuff by ordering from my local music store. They are not a garage publisher, but clearly a modest operation. // Not meaning to be rude, but I am perplexed as to why you would think that anybody on violinist.com would need the instrumentation of a "string quartet" spelled out? Maybe you haven't read any discussions here to have a sense of the regulars? Also, in case you don't know, I have not heard of a string quartet being conducted. Typically the first violinist gives the beat with his or her head and instrument, though other members can be in charge of some starts and stops, depending on how the piece is organized. Sue

December 16, 2006 at 01:42 AM · I agree that the Latham books are good. Do play through them carefully though. When our string quartet went through them the first time (which was quite a long time ago.. so maybe they have been edited since) there were several wrong notes printed. Best wishes.

K.

December 16, 2006 at 03:12 PM · Hi, Katie, Thanks for the heads-up. I have only played a handful of pieces from those so far, but have just purchased some add't volumes for my quartet. I'm guessing they are not revised/corrected as there's no info to that effect anywhere on the covers. Sue

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe