Vuillaume

February 8, 2006 at 10:07 PM · Have you had any experience with the so-called "Sainte Cecile" violins made by Vuillaume?

Replies (9)

February 8, 2006 at 10:24 PM · Yes they were the lesser grade more of a commercial line fiddles made by Vuillaume shop.

They have a totally different varnish from the good Vuillaume fiddles and therefore are considered much less expensive.

February 9, 2006 at 02:57 PM · That's what I thought. I also read that J.B.'s brother Nicolas actually made the violins in Mirecourt, and then J.B. (or somebody else in his shop in Paris) would varnish/finish them.

Are they worth considering being a "Vuillaume" name? What price range do they typically fall into?

February 9, 2006 at 04:06 PM · If you happen to like the sound, that is your choice, but they are not cheap, nevertheless they are no where near their real counterparts.

I think you can find better fiddles in that price range.

February 9, 2006 at 06:10 PM · Nicolas Vuillaume violins are nowhere near J.B. Vuillaume's and they go for like 20-30K? Maybe less. Other "Vuillaume shop" violins go more expensive but I think mostly for the name. J.B. Vuillaumes are a lot better and are usually like 100-200K I think. There is a big difference between J.B.'s and Nicolas'.

February 9, 2006 at 07:35 PM · Xavier,

A lot depends on what kind of sound you are looking for and if you are set only on a French Fiddle. If so, there are other excellent makers such as George Cunault for example, who worked for Sebastian Vuillaume, & then had his own business in Paris. I owned a great fiddle by him, it looked like a Lupot.

There is also G. Chanot which can be great, depending on which George that is (I, II etc).

February 10, 2006 at 03:18 AM · "there are other excellent makers such as George Cunault"

I agree.. Very fine maker... I've placed a number of instruments by Cunault, including a 'cello that was just stunning. Claude Miremont is another I'd add to the "other" French makers list.

February 27, 2006 at 02:39 AM · I recently tried two St. Ceciles and feel they are definately over rated and over priced. Of course I am no expert, it's just my personal opinion.

C-

February 27, 2006 at 03:29 AM · When St Cecile line of fiddles was put into production by Vuillaume, it was intended to cater to those who could not afford his best fiddles, mainly young students and such.

They are in no way comparable to the real J.B. Vuillaumes. The varnish was of a totally different recipe.

February 27, 2006 at 03:37 AM · Over the years two of my students have had St. Ceciles. I was not very well impressed by them. They seemed loud (in the derogatory sense of the word--like a loud necktie!) both in sound and in visual appearance. One of the students sold her St. Cecile and bought a violin by contemporary Atlanta maker, Robert Kimble. The Kimble costs less and, for my taste, as well as the student's, plays, sounds and looks quite a bit better.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe