To use or to not use the string tube.

February 8, 2006 at 07:44 AM · I have a question about the string tube in my case.

Is there any advantage to removing my spare strings from their envelopes and putting them in the string tube instead? The only advantage I can think of is that it might help protect my spare strings from dents if they happen to get banged while still coiled up in their envelopes.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I'd really like to know. After all case makers do go through the trouble of putting string tubes in the cases......

So let's make this a 2 part question:

1- Do YOU use the string tube. (If so, why?)

2- Do you recommend I use the string tube? (If so, why?)

Thanks for humoring me.

Aldon

Replies (11)

February 8, 2006 at 09:16 AM · Well, if the string is a kind that's shipped straight, you want to keep it straight till you install it. All you can do with it is put it in a tube.

February 8, 2006 at 09:03 AM · when I first started reading this post, I could've sworn it said "string lube".

But anyway...

I use the string tube. If anything, I like the way it looks (rather than having those envelopes everywhere). It's also very convenient to have a string in good order in the tube.

I suggest using it to keep them free of kinks.

February 8, 2006 at 02:39 PM · Bob, I agree. The last thing you want is kinky string lube...

February 8, 2006 at 10:29 PM · Don't know where I got this but I heard once that the tube is for gut strings. I don't know why.

February 8, 2006 at 10:48 PM · doesn't it have something to do with the humidity of the strings? I thought I heard that somewhere...

February 8, 2006 at 10:48 PM · Enosh - that would probably be because most gut strings are shipped straight.

Because I usually get my strings in envelopes, I keep them in the envelopes. However, I hope to soon move to these straight strings and I will keep them in there.

I guess it's basically what type of strings you are getting that determines whether you use the tube or not.

February 8, 2006 at 10:57 PM · Greetings,

you could always fill the tube up with melted chocolate and then chew on it during those interminable Bruckner symphonies.

Cheers,

Buri

February 9, 2006 at 06:17 AM · I once put my strings in a string tube and left them for a while. Then...I couldn't tell which was the G string and which was the D >__<

but yea, I don't use the string tube, it gets in the way of my second bow.

February 9, 2006 at 02:51 PM · has anyone tried the flavored string lube?

February 9, 2006 at 03:41 PM · Yeth, I recommendth the thocolathe. But be careful, I cuth my thongue licking the E thtring.

Neil

February 9, 2006 at 04:58 PM · lol Neil

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe