teaching repertoire

February 7, 2006 at 04:17 AM · My husband is looking for some intermediate level solos, preferable some kind of collection at about Vivaldi A minor level. He's not too fond of the Suzuki materials as he's not much of a baroque enthusiast. Any ideas?

Replies (5)

February 7, 2006 at 04:36 AM · Greetings,

the ASTA repertoiure lists is reliable from the poiint of view of level, as far as such a thing is possible. There is also a similar list on masterclass.com (?).

Another option is to go to your local music shop and browse the violin section for a few hours. Thoroughly aggravating to the staff but great fun.

If you want to get away from Vivaldi a minor cocnerto I suggest you really dig into the Italian baroque repertoire. There are thousands of sonatas and cocneretos which are exquisite but never played and remain out of sight and mind. Not just the Corelli sonata but people like Geminiani.

Cheers,

Buri

February 7, 2006 at 08:30 PM · Laura,

There are only a few shifts to 3rd position in Vivaldi a minor, and there aren't that many beautiful romantic pieces in that level, unfortunately. But if your husband knows some three octaves scales, that means 5th position and 6th position at least, have him take a look at the Barbara Barber Solos, book 2. It has wide variety of some romantic things plus a really fun Hoedown. The music will be challenging but it might be playable at his level. It would be helpful to get a CD as well. It is sold seperately. In her Book 1, there is a beautiful piece La Cinquantain by Gabriel-Marie that is not too hard but I would not buy the book just for this piece which can be found seperately, perhaps. There are also some beautiful studies (etudes) that are romantic and would let him build up his technique, such as Mazas Melodious and Progressive Studies Book 1, Op. 36. They are more difficult than Wohlfahrt but much prettier.

Lucia

February 8, 2006 at 03:12 AM · In my teaching I've added SOLOS FOR YOUNG VIOLINISTS, Volumes 1-6 which my students really enjoy. Each book comes with separate piano accompaniment. Demo/accompaniment CDs are also available. These may be the same solos referred to in the above post, compiled and edited by Barbara Barber.

February 8, 2006 at 05:11 PM · Go to the following website and you will find repertoire that is graded according to Suzuki level. http://www.indiana.edu/~yvp/rep.htm

February 8, 2006 at 06:04 PM · Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I will check them out. I think that the students my husband is working with know at least a couple of the 3 octave scales. So that does give some more options. He's really hoping for some more romantic period pieces. (I think Heifetz and Brahms are his gods so gives you an idea of what he's like.) The Barber books do have some good stuff. He's hoping to stay away from Suzuki books (He really dislikes Suzuki method....funny since I'm a Suzuki teacher) so he's looking for more pieces that he can hopefully organize into a cirriculum somewhat like the Suzuki books only more balanced between baroque, romantic, 20th century, etc. If you all have specific pieces that you think are particularly nice let me know.

Also, we have a terrific (simplified) arrangement of one of Brahms' Hugarian Dances. Does anyone know any good simplified arrangements of famous pieces? It's nice for the kids to be getting familiar with the repertoire, even if it is simplified, rather than playing lesser known works like Seitz concertos which are not exactly top notch compositions.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe