moulds and rosin?

February 3, 2006 at 06:54 AM · I have maybe a kilo of rosin pieces, left over from dropping various cakes onto the floor. I know rosin can be heated and melted in a crucible (I have done this already, very easy). But, how to get the mould to release the rosin? Are special mould materials used, and if so what are they?

Replies (9)

February 4, 2006 at 03:56 AM · try dropping it on the floor?

February 4, 2006 at 06:27 AM · if you put baking paper into the mould before the rosin that should let you remove the rosin fairly easily. Then you just need to remove the paper.

Or heating the mould up just slightly after it's set and removing the mould. It won't be a perfect set, but it'll be pretty close.

Never done it before, but those would be how i would go about it.

Discussion on Maestronet here

February 25, 2006 at 06:30 AM · Well, I discovered a piece to the mystery.

Rosin does not stick to some rubbers.

I made a wooden holder, rectangular, open at both ends. Put hard rubber pieces at both ends, secured by a rubber band. Poured in the melted rosin. Cooled in about a hour. Released the bands, gently pried off the rubber ends, and voila. Renewed rosin in a new holder.

Now I can keep using all the rosin bits that have accumulated over time. I am not fussy about rosin, but I do not mix the hard with soft rosins.

btw.. The crucible I used was a simple aluminium thing. I heat it over the open flame of the gas range I have. Held by tongs. Melted in about 30 seconds. Need to turn on your exhaust fan. Nice aroma though, as I try to buy rosins made from natural pine sap.

February 25, 2006 at 07:00 AM · Nice. Probably requirements similar to a candle mold. Maybe lots to choose from. Melt frankincense chunks in the next one:)

February 25, 2006 at 08:38 AM · Ron, how do you have so many fragments of rosin, anyway, that it's worth the effort to reform them? I bought a cake two years ago and have barely scratched the surface of it. Do you teach a lot of students, or drop them often?

I personally like it when my rosin breaks and gives me an excuse to try a new one.

I don't know, I guess I haven't tried melting them. Maybe that's fun, too.

February 27, 2006 at 06:01 AM · Hi Emily:

My daughter Emily is 6yrs old, learning violin, and no matter what I buy her, she always wants to try daddy's rosin, especially when her tutor arrives. 6yr olds are not exactly coordinated, so one drop and the cake is pieces. Not to lay blame, cause I too have dropped many cakes while my attention is diverted for a moment. Anyway, it's been kinda fun reusing them, as we did this as a science experiment for a 6yr old. more fun.

I might try making my own rosin some day.

February 27, 2006 at 08:11 AM · I got a stash of my own lined up on the windowsill, if you want me to donate to the cause. :)

March 15, 2006 at 03:01 AM · make a mold by forming foil around a block. pour and peel. :o) also, stainless steel is better than aluminum pan.

March 15, 2006 at 04:07 AM · Greetings,

considering that it is a vaguely hazardous material and that the recooked product is probably not as good as the original why on earth don`t you just go and buy a new one?

I`m too lazy too go looking for problems.

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe