Ravel Tzigane

February 2, 2006 at 04:01 AM · what is the best and most gypsy version of Ravel Tzigane?

Replies (6)

February 2, 2006 at 05:26 AM · Try giving a listen to Vengerov on EMI, my personal favorite. He takes liberties with the piece and really gets into the gypsy spirit of it. Technically it's an outstanding performance. And (from his own liner note) it doesn't hurt that he's playing a 1727 Strad that once belonged to Kreutzer.

February 2, 2006 at 05:45 AM · I second the Vengerov! Great recording if you don't mind it over-the-top. Also, try the Joshua Bell recording. I haven't heard the Mutter recording, but I'm sure its great.

February 2, 2006 at 06:48 AM · Greetings,

I@m not really into `better or worst` but I think if you are working on Tzigane then it is useful to listen to the Francescatti recording since he toured with Ravel playing the piece.

Other outstanding versions :Heifetz and Ginette Neveu. I think Shaham has also recorded it. Maybe on a recent disc called Masters of the bow. Ona disc which is basically a hodge podge of sub par performances by many great players Shaham really stood out.

Cheers,

Buri

February 2, 2006 at 07:41 AM · I've heard a few people play this an I like Heifetz the most. Vengerov is over the top and let me just say that over the top does not mean gypsy. Many people have this misconception, but it is not so.

February 2, 2006 at 10:25 AM · My favorites:

Ferras

0istrakh

Heifetz

Francescatti

Neveu

February 4, 2006 at 11:32 PM · I have a few recordings of the Ravel Tzigane played by violinists like 0istrakh Heifetz and others. But recently I acquired a CD by Vincent P. Skowronski, a spectacular and seasoned violinist who I read about on The Strad magazine and resides in Evanston, Illinois.

He’s interpretation of the Tzigane, in my opinion, is superb, full of expression and performed very tastefully. You should take a look at he’s site if you are interested on the CD.

web site: http://www.skowronskiplays.com

I copied the information about the CD, here it goes:

SKOWRONSKI PLAYS!

***Gentleman Gypsy***

(S:CR-05)

Mr. Skowronski's compact disc features:

TZIGANE: Rapsodie de Concert by Maurice Ravel. Donald Isaak, pianist.

RHAPSODY NO. 1 by Bela Bartok. Donald Isaak, pianist.

HAVANAISE by Camille Saint-Saens. Neil Penesis, pianist.

ROMANTIC PIECES by Antonin Dvorak. Saori Chiba, pianist.

NOKTURN ET TARANTELLA by Karol Szymanowski. Donald Isaak, pianist.

"THIS COMPACT DISC DEFINITELY DESERVES

A SPOT IN YOUR CD COLLECTION"

Chicago Daily Herald

Fanfare: Mr. Skowronski's playing is clear and bracing. Highly enjoyable and highly recommended.

Fanfare: Skowronski is an uncommonly expressive and persuasive violinist. And he plays everything with irresistible elan.

Journal of the American Liszt Society: Mr. Skowronski treats the ear to a beauty and warmth of tone that is rare, and performs technical difficulties with ease.

Audio: Skowronski's Tzigane is EXCELLENT! And this violinist is much more comfortable in the Rhapsody No.1 of Bela Bartok than is Joseph Szigeti (a Hungarian to begin with for whom Bartok wrote the piece) who recorded it years ago.

Regards,

PF

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe