Vibrato on Harmonics?

February 1, 2006 at 07:31 AM · I'm listening to Perlman play the last mvt. of Tchaikovsky, and his vibrato on the harmonics is very nice. I'm wondering how to practice vibrato on harmonics/false harmonics? I end up losing the harmonic if I move my finger even slightly. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Replies (7)

February 1, 2006 at 10:56 PM · Greetings,

some people use too much presusr eon the first finger in articial harmonics. But it sounds like you may not have quite enough. Spend some more time practicing only first finger and take a look at your pressur erelease for shifting and then reapplication of thta pressure,

Cheers,

Buri

February 2, 2006 at 12:47 AM · Yes, Stephen's idea is good. Vibrato on harmonics incorporates vetical pressure differences in addition to the standard vibrato movement.

February 2, 2006 at 03:27 AM · There are different approaches to and techniques of vibrato. If yours uses or includes a rocking or arc motion (as does mine) that can move the 4th finger out of place and disrupt the sound. Keep the 4th, and even the 1st finger a bit flatter/straighter than usual for artificial harmonics while gently vibrating. That should work.

February 2, 2006 at 12:37 PM · Obviously, the interval between the 1st and 4th fingers should be maintained and not vary to play the harmonic. Therefore, if the vibrato motion alters that interval, you lose the harmonic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that more likely to happen if you use a wrist vibrato rather than an arm vibrato?

February 2, 2006 at 02:38 PM · I would think so. But in any case, the motion should be a bit smaller and more localized for harmonics.

February 2, 2006 at 11:34 PM · You can utilize to your favour that harmonics sound longer than non-harmonics.

February 3, 2006 at 05:21 AM · Greetings,

it occurs to me that you might also be falling foul of the great adage `if you think the problem is in the left hand it is usually in the right (and vice versa).` Is it possible you are losing your harmonics because you are reducing bow speed, perhaps near the bow change?

Cheers,

buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe