Einstein as violinist and Mozart

February 1, 2006 at 07:30 AM · http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/31/science/31essa.html

Replies (15)

February 1, 2006 at 11:33 AM · Gregor Piatigorsky in his book "My cello and I"

tells that once in Einstein's home he play the

violin and asked Gregor haw has he plaided. Gregor

said "relatively well"

February 2, 2006 at 12:43 AM · the connection drawn is romantic...but I don't see it. I mean, Einstein was a violinist, and I think he was pretty good...I remember hearing that he was a spectacular fan of Menuhin...and he seemed to have been in the middle of musical culture of the time, meeting people who were/would be famous one after another (tehe, somehow Mr. Suzuki comes to mind ^^U).

The thing is, music has been found to encourage the retention of grey matter formed in puberty (and subsequently pruned), but I don't think it has much connection to scientific research beyond that. I doubt Einstein was like "oh...here's blah, what's the countermelody to that", probably more like...thinking...and lots of math.

February 2, 2006 at 01:13 AM · And no doubt he would have been familiar with his cousin (as some argue) Alfred's book on Mozart. I understand that Albert also spent many an evening being accompanied on the piano by Lise Meitner, the well-known Austrian nuclear Physicist.

February 2, 2006 at 01:32 AM · They have Mozart's skull in a box and Einstein's brain in a jar. Now, if we can just...

February 2, 2006 at 02:39 AM · slop the brains into the box and fill the jar with a nice pint of beer?

February 2, 2006 at 03:39 AM · I'd want to drink the beer from Mozart's skull, but that's just me.

February 2, 2006 at 03:57 AM · Eeeeeeuuwww!

February 2, 2006 at 12:49 PM · Right. As if you wouldn't chug a skullfull.

February 2, 2006 at 06:52 AM · Greetings,

I thnk we may have just identifed the origin of the expression `drunk out of his skull,`

Cheers,

Buri

It is probably no coincidence that the German for one mug of beer is `ein Stein,` (roughly speaking)

February 2, 2006 at 07:17 AM · nice one

February 2, 2006 at 07:28 AM · Ein stein. I like that, Buri.

February 2, 2006 at 07:40 AM · Cute pun, but it doesn't make any sense since Einstein didn't leave behind anything to drink from. On the other hand "a mah da yeus" is Latvian for "bottoms up."

February 2, 2006 at 09:10 AM · cute pun but it doesn't make any sense

a)because Latvian beer is awful

b) Norbet Brainin's bottom is distinctly down.

February 2, 2006 at 12:47 PM · Einstein is said to have been playing in quartet together with Queen Elisabeth of Belgium. He was always making the same mistake. She asked him : √čnfin Mr.Einstein vous ne savez pas compter jusqu'√° quatre ? (You can't count till 4 ?)

February 2, 2006 at 04:31 PM · Heifetz was playing Gin Rummy with Einstein and as the points were being calculated,exclaimed "arithmetic Sir,arithmetic!"

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe