Cello rosin by mistake, can I still use it?

January 25, 2006 at 10:22 PM · I bought a Larsen Rosin today. The guy at the store gave me a cello rosin instead of a violin one, but I didn't realize until I came home. I am pretty desperate to rosin my bow (lost old one), living far from the store, and don't have a car.

Is it a huge deal if I just use the cello rosin?

Replies (7)

January 25, 2006 at 10:40 PM · I'd give it a try, unless you're determined to get your money back. Who knows, you might like the cello rosin better than your regular rosin. It likely has a stronger grip than a standard violin rosin. The rosin I sell, Chimneys Premium, is for violin-cello. It has good adhesion and works equally well on violin or cello.

January 26, 2006 at 06:31 AM · You shouldn't have any problem using the cello rosin with your violin bow.

Just don't take as many swipes...

EOM

January 26, 2006 at 09:18 AM · It works but it is very sticky. Not very pleasant.

January 27, 2006 at 01:17 AM · no biggie, just use sparingly

January 27, 2006 at 04:13 AM · Greetings,

post it back and ask them to express post the one you want. Cello rosin is er, not designed for the violin,

Cheers,

Buri

January 27, 2006 at 04:44 AM · Ordinarilly I'd say it doesn't matter, but if you can't tell if you like it or not, you should be using 'normal' everything :)

January 30, 2006 at 05:33 PM · I typically use cello Rosin when rosining up new bows (especially if I'm doing quite a few) but I don't recommend using it for regular use. cello rosin will work fine, but is slightly grittier than Violin/Viola rosin and you'll notice more powder rsidue under your strings above the bridge. Using it regularly will slightly change the sound due to the grittier texture. If you do use it, use it sparingly.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe