Juilliard teachers

January 25, 2006 at 10:21 PM · Hello!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the current violin faculty at Juilliard? I'm auditioning there for a masters in March, but after talking to some friends who study there, still feel in the dark about which teacher to request.

Thank you!

Replies (12)

January 26, 2006 at 03:28 AM · Miki, it depends on the area of performance in which you wish to specialize. If I were focusing on being a soloist I would of course try and get Perlman. This is course might not be possible so my next choice would be Glenn Dicterow, followed by Margaret Pardee, and then Lewis Kaplan. Of course I'm old school so you probably have a totally different perspective?

January 26, 2006 at 04:36 AM · Greetings,

don@t disagree with Rick, but if you turned down a chance to study with Mr Weilerstein you would be certifiably insane.

It`s just playing around with language, but I am not sure it is such a great idea to focus on `being a soloist` . Just my opinion, but I think if you focus on being the best possible violinist/musician then your talent and all the other necessary skills/abilities may or may not get you there, depending in large part on luck.But I suspect it cuts down on the frustration of not quite getting to what is really an incredibly elusive goal. there are very few `pure` soloists these days, so how does one define what one is dealing with? By all accounts Glen Dicterow is a fantastic soloist, or is he one of ther best concertmasters alive, or whould one classify him according to his original expertize which was in chamber music?

Odd questions to ponder between toilet breaks.

Cheers,

Buri

January 26, 2006 at 05:17 AM · Stephen's right. The distinctions between soloist, chamber musician, and orchestral player are not so clear-cut these days. And someone pursuing any of those options would be smart to study all three, IMO. As for teachers, I'd go for Weilerstein, Perlman, Dicterow, or Clapp.

Although Stephen - according to you, I guess I'd have to call a violinist at my school "certifiably insane" - she turned down Weilerstein and studies with Preucil. (Not to promote my own teacher or anything...=) he is awesome, though) That's a REALLY hard decision though - they are both fantastic teachers, and it's not a question of who's "better," but which one "fits" your personality, talent, and style, and will be able to take you the farthest in your musical growth relative to your current ability.

January 26, 2006 at 05:34 AM · What do you think of Clapp's playing? I google he's dean of Julliard now. I haven't heard him since about 1985 so he's had 20 years, and it could have been a bad day.

January 26, 2006 at 05:37 AM · He's old, and I don't think he does much playing. Everyone I've spoken with who studied with him has nothing but good things to say.

January 26, 2006 at 06:27 AM · Clapp, like many of the best at Juilliard, have been around for a long time and have huge followings and well-known bios.

I'm very glad that I'm seeing recommendations for violin study pointing towards the generalist side of things. It's something I truly believe in, though I'm not sure how many these days (or in the past) will take the advice.

January 26, 2006 at 06:58 AM · You also have to consider what kind of a teaching approach you're looking for... Catherine Cho for example, teaches differently than Dicterow.

January 28, 2006 at 06:38 PM · You should be sure to get in touch with the teacher(s) you're interested in ASAP and set up a lesson or 2 with them before you audition. It may already be a little late for that since audtions are probably starting up in a few weeks. It's always hard to get into Juilliard but its even harder if you show up to audition and none of the teachers know you.

Weilerstien or Ron Copes are the the two people I would do my darndest to study with if I were in your shoes.

Naoko Tanaka is also really good.

January 28, 2006 at 09:50 PM · I think everyone is going to have their particular 'favourite'. The internet is not the place to make this choice only the place to get pointers and opinions to later filter and perhaps utilize in the decision-making process of what teacher one wants.

I agree that the best idea is first to have contact. I've always seen the arts as having a different sense in the teacher/student perspective than the humanities and the sciences. I believe I've been somewhat fortunate in that I've been able to do various degrees in all of them at a number of universities and colleges and I've found the difference in pedagogy, social interaction, temperment of instructors (i.e., quirks), and methodology in the various disciplines to be similar within their own ranks and vastly different between each other.

Generally speaking, not every student in the arts will have the same issues when it comes to instructors and profs. For some students a teacher's quirky personalilty will endear itself to the student, to others it will be the basis of alienation. As well, each and every teacher/professor/instructor has their own unique perspective and vision about the way things should be and a student should try and find out, for their own satisfaction and from their own perspective, what this is right from the get go.

I've invariably found that the teacher/student relationship in the arts is the same in all arts (even the martial arts) and it focuses as much on the performance issues as the gaining of knowledge. Hence it is more one of the master (used in the sense of a recognized and experienced expert in the field) and the disciple. This used to be the case in the Sciences and the Humanities too, but for various reasons that is not, imho, the case anymore. It is even starting to disappear in the arts and this to me is truly sad.

Perhaps I'm not quite so ready to draw lines between teachers as some others as I think that every teacher has potential, though it might not be the right potential for the particular student. I agree that nowadays the division in the older fields (soloist/ensemble musician) is blurred. This is no doubt the main reason for the necessary evil of being critical in choosing a teacher.

January 29, 2006 at 02:43 AM · Please engage brain before opening mouth!

Regards,

PF

January 29, 2006 at 10:05 AM · Yes! And sentences longer than six words that actually contain a subject are helpful too! ;p)

January 29, 2006 at 01:58 PM · YEP

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe