Traveling with cellos and basses

January 19, 2006 at 07:17 PM · Hi. I know that this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the topic in the archives. Please point me in the right direction if you know the location. So, my daughter's school orchestra is traveling to Carnegie Hall this April to participate in a music festival. We are traveling from Georgia and are trying to figure out the best way to get the cellos and basses there. At this point we are planning on flying out of Atlanta to New York. A bus trip just wasn't feasible because of time constraints and the concern for the sanity of the chaperones. Any help that you might have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies (13)

January 22, 2006 at 12:18 AM · I would make sure that all the instruments are insured, the cellos are all in hard cases (One of my collegues actually witnesses his cello being put onto the plain) so maybe you could get someone to witness all of them being put on the plain. The same situation for the double basses except these are always (to my knowledge) put in steel carrier cases are hard double bass cases are very rare and impractical for everyday use. Hope this helps! Jonathan

January 22, 2006 at 04:26 AM · Buy them a ticket. Or switch to violin. I don't know if you are aware but at the airport, the persons responsible for loading your bags are called: throwers. Why you ask? They "throw" your bags. They don't set them down gently. So if you love your instrument and don't want to go through the pain-in-the-ass work of the trial replacement, either don't take them, or buy them a ticket as well. For cellos I recommend a window seat. They like to look out.

January 22, 2006 at 05:40 AM · Do you mean a cello and a bass, or do you mean all the cellos and all the basses? Is there no school vehicle going at all? They'll end up sending their own van or hiring a truck I think.

January 22, 2006 at 06:32 AM · You can rent flight cases for cellos and basses. That's what my college orchestra did when we went to Europe. Probably expensive, though. And the cases are pretty huge.

January 22, 2006 at 09:18 AM · Travelling with cello's and basses is a problem and also depends on the size of the plane.Some of the smaller size planes used for local travel won't even consider basses (at least here in Europe).It rather depends on how many instruments you are talking about.If there are a lot you could think about sending them up by road ahead of time.Another option is to buy tickets for the cellos and rent bases when you get there.Of course everything can go in the hold and you can hold your breathe.

January 23, 2006 at 05:33 AM · lol.

January 23, 2006 at 07:37 PM · Yellow freight and Old Dominion have timed delivery services.

January 23, 2006 at 08:01 PM · I would recommend buying tickets for the cellos (usually it's cheaper than shipment and safer than the hold) and getting flight cases for the basses. For the basses, you could contact Atlanta Symphony or one of the universities in the area to see if they have flight cases that your daughter's orchestra could borrow/rent. When my youth orchestra went on their European tours back in the day, they used cases from the NJ Symphony.

January 23, 2006 at 08:04 PM · Dammit we still don't know how many cellos and basses she's talking about! :)

P.S...or how much we can spend.

January 23, 2006 at 09:46 PM · Thank you for the info. Sorry to be so long getting back. I have been under the weather. I believe there 9 cellos and 2 basses going. Seeing as how it a high school orchestra, the budget is tight. Our worst case scenario is to have someone make the 2 day drive (each way) and transport the cellos and basses. I am off to a parent's meeting for the trip right now.

January 23, 2006 at 10:24 PM · :)

February 8, 2006 at 01:09 AM · Why can nobody just give a a bloody shot in the dark around here? You all just answer questions with more questions! Be spontaneous!

February 8, 2006 at 06:10 PM · Just in case anyone was worried about it, we are going to have 2 parents make the drive in a rental van and transport the cellos and basses that way. It is a long drive from Augusta, GA, but it might be better than being on an airplane with over 40 teenagers.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe