To All Hymn Players

January 19, 2006 at 08:08 AM · To all hymn players:

I would like to put out the following challenge:

To you who play hymns my hymns don't sound as exciting as they could be. (On the violin of course) Where can I add trills? Not really where, but when. This I think would make my msuic sound more lively.

Replies (100)

January 19, 2006 at 12:15 PM · Daniel,

While I'm not going to answer your specific question, I will pose several others to try to help. You stated that your hymns are not exciting. Has anyone asked that you make them more exciting? Many people find that the simple hymn melodies are beautiful without embellishment. A simple melody played well, with feeling can be a beautiful, worshipful thing. Are you playing by yourself or is there organ or some other instrument supplying the melody? I play violin in church every week. If I'm playing by myself as the only musical accompaniment to the congregation, I stick to the melody only so they can follow along. If the piano or organ is playing along, I sometimes will harmonize or embellish the melody. Is it supposed to be exciting? I'm not sure. It is supposed to be to the glory of God. Can that be exciting? Yes! I play what I'm led to play and pray that it helps enrich the worship experience for the congregation. The amount of embellishment/improvisation that I allow myself depends on what other instruments are playing along. No one ever asked me to be more exciting, but many in the congregation have expressed their thanks and appreciation for what I have to offer.

Hope this helps.

Judy

January 19, 2006 at 08:08 PM · Daniel, If you had someone else to play with, one could do the top and the other the bottom. It sounds ok when mom forces Luke and I to do it.

I don't think Hymns need to sound exciting..... They will sound just fine when played right..

January 19, 2006 at 09:05 PM · Trills in hymns? Hmm. I think not. Passing tones, yes. And perhaps a trill in the harmony, between a suspended 4th or 6th and its resolution.

The exciting way to play hymns with violin is to play the descant instead of the melody. This works best with organ. Dale Wood wrote some wonderful free accompaniments to hymns that have descants suitable for violin. Some hymnals have descants in them, or you can get books of descants. These are used with the standard hymn setting rather than a free accompaniment.

There are some good books on hymn accompaniment, which cover the concepts you need even though they are written with piano and organ in mind.

January 19, 2006 at 10:06 PM · Keep in mind that hymns written in hymnals are often made more rhythmically boring than the music was meant to be. On some of the hymns that you know well by ear -- Christmas carols, for instance -- go take a look in a hymnal for them. Chances are you'll find all the dotted rhythms removed and replaced with even rhythms.

So as a suggestion, don't rely on books alone for the "right" rhythms and melodies. If you've got some good singers in the congregation (and I don't mean trained and reading music, I mean good singers), listen to what they're singing and how they're interpreting the hymns. You might search for musicologists' recordings of hymns as sung by isolated congregations -- they're not exactly polished, but they capture the spirit and intent of the music far better than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

You don't need to embellish in order to make simple melodies beautiful and moving. I remember singing a very repetitive folk song for some people and, after the sixth verse or so, I was figuring we were all rather bored -- far from it. When I finished, some people in the audience were in tears, they were so moved. So, the moral of the story is: don't assume that the song needs anything more than honest playing.

January 20, 2006 at 01:06 AM · I have a question:

Does anyone know of any violin hymn arrangements for duets?

January 20, 2006 at 01:35 AM · Daniel, trills are usually on longer notes. They originated as a way for keyboard instruments to sustain them, or so I've been told. Kimberly, if you don't write your own arrangements of things that simple, you're missing half the fun.

January 20, 2006 at 06:00 AM · Daniel,

Embellish the melody by playing occasional doublestops. Don't overdo them. When you're practicing at home, experiment with combinations & what sounds good to you. Record yourself and listen objectively. Some beautiful yet simple arrangements can be yours with a few well placed doublestops, or a couple slides.

Think about Amazing Grace: Hear the slight slide up to the second note, then a double stop at the end of the first phrase?

As others have mentioned: If you're accompanying the singing, play the melody. If you're playing for offeratory or a special then it's nice to add little touches here and there. If you're doing a duet you can alternate between melody & harmony with your partner.

Kimberley,

Ludiker Music of Spokane puts out some fun duet books. One is Gospel Fiddling. www.ludikermusic.com

January 20, 2006 at 10:11 AM · Maybe turns instead of trills? Slides and turns and double stops, and before you know it, you'll have yourself a country-folk chapel hymn. Do you play by ear? If you can hear the underlying chords that make up the accompaniment, you can find the notes that go along with the melody, the arpeggios and leading/neighboring tones. There are a million ways to play variations on a hymn, if you just listen to the other notes involved and think of phrases that go with them.

January 20, 2006 at 06:16 PM · Jim, you spelled my name wrong...

How do you write your own arragements?

January 20, 2006 at 06:22 PM · Sort of like Emily said, Kimberley. It was gobs of fun!

January 20, 2006 at 07:28 PM · Technically I'm the only violinist. Although there is one other player, she doesn't play anymore. Thank you everyone for your imput.

January 20, 2006 at 07:30 PM · Dear Kim,

Your English is improper. Your sentence should be "when mom forces Luke and me to do it."

January 20, 2006 at 08:43 PM · "Your english is improper",

January 20, 2006 at 08:52 PM · Daniel: In the bible it says God created the heavens and the earth. It also says a wise man loves correction but a foolish man is left to himself.(I hope I got that right.) Thank you for correcting me. (see how wise I am?)

January 20, 2006 at 09:05 PM · It also says women should be isolated away from the main camp for one week out of the month. :p

January 20, 2006 at 09:58 PM · I wouldn't mind having a week's vacation every month.

January 21, 2006 at 12:46 AM · Daniel, I think you should know that when you wrote "To all hymn players", that was nice, but,

then instead of a nice sentence to interest people you wrote "To all church players".(I think) and that sounds kind of dumb, no offence of course.

January 21, 2006 at 01:06 AM · I think I get it now. You're not really trolling, you're attempting to get more people to buy into your religion - and it's working. I for one am praying to every god I can think of that you disappear in a puff of self-righteous smoke, and I'm not usually a praying man.

January 21, 2006 at 01:16 AM · Kim it says in the Bible:

God created the heaven and the earth

January 21, 2006 at 01:18 AM · Kim,

I put to all hymn players because some hymn players might not go to chruch.

January 21, 2006 at 03:46 AM · This is a really weird thread.

January 21, 2006 at 04:24 PM · It also says in the bible:

"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God". (Romans 3:23)

"For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23)

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth on him shall not perish but have ever lasting life."

(John 3:16)

No offence to anyone who does not believe it.

January 21, 2006 at 04:41 PM · ES: I don't think this is at all what Daniel had in mind when he started this thread. Did you Daniel? See, I'm sure he is shaking his head right now.

Is'nt there anyone else who believes as we do though? What a shame.

January 21, 2006 at 04:43 PM · Daniel: I said "To all hymn players" is nice, "To all church players" is dumb.

January 21, 2006 at 04:51 PM · "BE HEALED!" *raises hands towards the ceiling*

January 21, 2006 at 05:28 PM · I'm in a good mood today and I really feel like talking. But why should I be the only one?

January 21, 2006 at 07:58 PM · Hi, I might be an idiot. But what is a thread? Thread as in type of string that one sews with?

But 0truely this is turning out really weird.

January 21, 2006 at 08:30 PM · kim, its ok..It's clear that your intentions are very good. Sometimes. the best way to be a good Christian is to lead by actions rather than words. Like, being nice to people even when you don't feel like it.

Then people will look at you and realise that God leads people to be good.

But it's good you can remember bits of the bible.

As for the hymns: Try not only trills but also pizzicato, varying the vibrato, going up or down an octave, and sometimes not playing but just listening. Also of course dynamics and playing the accompanying lines, not the main melody.

January 21, 2006 at 08:42 PM · Yeah that's good, encourage the troll. God loves trolls too.

January 21, 2006 at 09:04 PM · obviously...he created you

January 21, 2006 at 10:34 PM · *massages temples*

Er, anyway. Daniel, here is a good description of the type of "thread" we're talking about, if you were serious about your question. Basically this entire "Hymn Players" discussion is a 'thread.'

Kim, one nice (or at least alright) tool for writing your own music is Finale Notepad, which is a free notation program (although somewhat limited). Check it out ^^.

January 21, 2006 at 11:56 PM · Daniel: You do need to let us know if you have accompaniment or not. I love playing hymns in a church setting, especially if there are one-three other violinists besides myself, plus piano. It's fun if you can work out a little deal with the other violinist(s). If you improvise (by trial and error), it's very fun. Try playing the alto part first, and then you'll learn more ideas for your own improvisation. And I agree with Judy who said, "[Hymn playing] is supposed to be to the glory of God." And don't fool around with the rythyms too much...it can turn into CCM (contemporary Christian music) which, in my point of view, is not morally right.

And I second the idea of Finale Notepad, although unless you want to invest a fortune, you might do as I do, especially if you change keys mid-music or change time signatures: I write as much as I can in Finale Notepad, and then write down on real manuscript paper (NOTE: If you want "free" manuscript paper and have Microsoft Word, you can type in the help section "Manuscript paper" and it will let you download up to 12 staves per page and you can print it.). Finale Notepad (the free version) doesn't have grace notes, time sig. changes, and key changes. Anyone else remember anything else it doesn't have?

January 22, 2006 at 12:15 AM · lol

January 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM · I got your free manuscript paper here. Please don't write any ccm on it unless you printed it out on asbestos.

January 22, 2006 at 01:31 AM · Thanks, I'll check it out.

January 22, 2006 at 08:09 AM · Carley, I would like you to consider what you have just written. If toying with a rhythm creates a new genre of music which is not morally right, how do you designate what rhythms are morally right and which ones aren't?

Yes, I've read the books that actually attempt to draw the lines, but the foundations for the arguments are weak. Please consider that there are no verses in the Bible pertaining to rhythmic commandments.

I would love to continue this topic privately, if you like, because it's something that interests me.

January 22, 2006 at 11:04 AM · I used to think religious rock was ironic. The rhythms I think she's talking about, basically ones with the accents on beats 2 and 4, are sensual. Besides the religious objections to the sensual in general, the origin of these rhythms in our culture is dark-skinned. Why we hear it as sensual is a ripe topic, probably more of a social phenomenon with a racist component than an innately psychological one.

It would be interesting to know if the books that criticize that kind of religious music criticize white and black music equally. My guess would be they don't fault black gospel but do fault components of it in white music, finding it okay for them but not for us.

January 22, 2006 at 04:52 PM · Thank you all. And I don't personally believe in ccm.

January 22, 2006 at 05:20 PM · Come on! Yes it's mostly trite and saccrine, but really, it's very shallow to make such a sweeping statement. Occasionally there are songs that do send a great message with good music to boot.

What ever happened to making a joyful noise? With cymbals, tambourines, flutes, trumpets... Besides, a lot of the melodies that old hymns are set to started out as browdy barroom songs. Origins of hymns can be a fascinating study. And with that, I'm off to the meetinghouse.

January 22, 2006 at 07:28 PM · Old time meetin' with dinner on the ground?

January 22, 2006 at 10:40 PM · Wow, hot topic.

Jim, you said you used to think religious rock was ironic. Did you stop thinking that? If so, why?

January 22, 2006 at 11:14 PM · CCM isn't good music. I could direct you all to a pastors web site but I suppose you don't want me to. He understands good music well. Good traditional hymns. Thats really the only good music.

January 22, 2006 at 11:43 PM · Sorry, the phrase is "all day meetin'..."

Stephen, originally the irony was in shakin' that thang for Jesus, but as I got older I thought more inclusively and things became less black and white. That covers it without going into excruciating detail.

Kimberley, direct us to the site! I don't even know what kind of argument I could put together for his position so I want to read it. If you're real that is..;)

January 22, 2006 at 11:59 PM · "... is not morally right"

Shouldn't this be written as,

"...is not morally Right."?

or is it "Righteous?"

I had a friend in Maine when I was a student: he was "born again" and he was adamant about the idea that all rock music is the work of Lucifer. Even "Michelle" by the Beatles.

I stopped even listening to that line of reasoning as a line of "reasoning" when a few years later my wife did a modern dance piece to the Thomas Dolby tune, "Mulu of the Rainforest". she was in green and black, with camo paint, and I ran the spot, on which I swtched the gels back and forth between green and red. After she did her part, the christian student group parted like the Red Sea when we walked into the green room, and later that week, my lab partner, who was a sax player and the head of the christian group, asked me "is your wife a devil worshipper?"

Ha.

January 23, 2006 at 12:06 AM · What was he playing on sax? Good sax sounds like acoustically transmuted sleaze.

January 23, 2006 at 12:35 AM · Bad sax sounds like diarrhea. :0

January 23, 2006 at 12:41 AM · I like a woman who knows the difference between sleaze and diarrhea.

January 23, 2006 at 03:07 AM · No dinner on the ground. After 17 straight days of rain it’s hardly fit for an animal let alone a meal. Though no need for an ark, yet.

Ed, my husband, says, "I don't mind contemporary music as long as it's not on an overhead. That's morally wrong."

Do you see how ridiculous the above statement is? He really does hate overheads, and he totally favors the old hymns. But to walk around beating his drum and speaking out against overheads would make as much sense as condeming all CCM.

Remember, God is the one who created music, rhythms, beat - even the 2/4. He created us with rhythm in our body & blood, and music in our souls. And, He never condemned dancing. King David danced before the Lord when the ark was brought back to Israel. I highly doubt it was a square dance. He danced with crazy happy abandon. Ps 150 tells us to praise Him with loud resounding cymbals, and to praise Him with dancing.

Granted CCM is often poorly written, shallow music, but then I can think of some good ol' hymns that are terrible. Sharpen your thinking skills and don't be a parrot. Put your personal beliefs in the One who is the Solid Rock, and not in some mortal man's fanciful thinking who probably wasn't allowed to rebel as a teen and now lashes out by trashing what he's unable to grasp.

January 23, 2006 at 12:04 PM · I need to have my eyesite checked. I was certain I typed in "violinist.com" this morning, but up popped a discussion with a variety of barbs and lectures involving grammar, spelling and religion. Whatever the site, I struggle enough with musical intonation, but my hat is off to those who have managed to move beyond that.

January 23, 2006 at 02:49 PM · There are a number of Irish tuned hymns around. Irish it up but bumping the tempo slightly, and adding little ornaments. I find grace notes very effective at turning a simple tune into something a bit more fun to play, while still keeping the melody sounding

January 23, 2006 at 06:02 PM · www.touchet1611.org, I think. You can google it if it isnt right. I am not sure which sermon you need to listen to but look around, start with his music series or something.

January 23, 2006 at 06:08 PM · The site is paulsonmusic.com, not what kimberely said.

January 23, 2006 at 07:11 PM · Yo Wanda,

It is the SENSUAL dancing that is wrong, not just dancing for happiness.

January 23, 2006 at 07:38 PM · Here's mention of Paulson and touchet. link

That site has a lot. Look out for illicit relationships with classical music too, all you women.

"At least one critic, (Mike Paulson; touchet1611.org/paulsonmusic.com) while trashing the "bad" music, even warns that people having their "spirits lifted up" by the "good" music, are sinning just as much as the others and still opening themselves up to bad spiritual influences; as lifting one's spirit is the job of the Holy Spirit alone. An emphasis on contemplation (of "ideal beauty"), by the way, was a feature of Plato's philosophy, which we'll see later, has a strong bearing on this teaching. And I'm sure that many women have been lured into illicit relationships with classical, probably even easier than with rock, since they have that romantic sentiment that classical appeals to."

January 23, 2006 at 07:51 PM · Interesting websites. Small wonder you think as you do if you drink at that well of intolerance two or three times a week.

Your pastor's words:

"Other than the King James 1611 Bible, we consider all modern versions of the Bible as perverted corruptions influenced and written by the Devil himself"

But wait! There's more!

"We love guns - we use guns - we shoot guns - we carry guns - the pulpit has a loaded one all ready for pre-911 use. If that bothers you, get one and try it - you may like it. We even have a few "Preach-n-Shoots" throughout the year - you are welcome to inquire about them. A full day of preaching, shooting, eating and fellowship - can it get any better than that? Well, yes it can, but for now, this works for us!"

January 23, 2006 at 07:49 PM · Ah, religion. Man's best ever excuse for warfare, hatred, murder, theft, destruction, and of course intolerance.

"In god we trust"

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

"wait" you say, "you left out the 'under god' part!"

No, actually I didn't leave anything out. Congress in its infinite wisdom, put it in.

^$##^$^polititians. They always muck it up. Like banning *female* circumcision and ignoring the 100's of boys who die every year. "Oh well." About the same number of pleasure-boaters die every year as infant boys who are circumcised. There are laws requiring life jackets. See the problem?

Why am I saying this? Becasue the whole religion and music thing is just as absurd. Ever notice that a disturbing number of the religiously fervent have something to hide? Remember the revivalists and carpet-baggers in "Huckleberry Fin"? Not much has changed. Jerry Falwell. And that guy whose wife wore too much make-up. Jim something. Oh, Tami-fae? How many ex-drug-addicts (gee, one of them happens to be a president...) boozers, wife-beaters, sodomists and liars have you met at the Revival? Been there, seen it. It is a wacky country but someone's got to live here!

Perhaps religion and politics are merely reflections of our own imperfect selves.

Jesus was a man. He walked this earth but we have not the foggiest idea of his music. He didn't have a tape recorder.

Even Mohammed didn't have one. But Osama does have one.

January 23, 2006 at 08:10 PM · Yo ES,

What is wrong with a gun or a "preach and shoot"?

Also, He is right about the bible translations also. It is a proven fact that, for example, The NLT is only 94% correct, and the others are just as, if not more so, inacurate.

January 23, 2006 at 08:12 PM · Jim,

So do you agree with Paulson? Just so I know where you stand.

January 23, 2006 at 08:13 PM · I got something to say to you es:

FRICKEN PACIFIST. :)

January 23, 2006 at 08:16 PM · Take it to church you guys...the moderator should delete this thread.

January 23, 2006 at 08:12 PM · If I've followed the thread of this thread accurately, it started off about hymns, and then....It seems to me that arguments about religion end up as arguments about religion.

But getting back to hymns, why not write a counter-melody? Then play it along with the original hymn in double stops. Then sing the counter melody like a counter tenor. After all, if Bach could write a dozen counter melodies playing all at once, certainly we can write one.

And as to the seductive effect of music, look out Mozart Effect. What you people are creating here is "The Paganini Effect."

By the way, I have a few questions about religion, too:

If Heaven is up in the sky, does that mean that for people on the opposite side of the earth in China, that for them Heaven is down underneath the ground?

And if Man is made in God's image, then how come I have to floss my teeth every day?

January 23, 2006 at 08:26 PM · Luke I don't have a stand. I'm like a U.N. observer.

January 23, 2006 at 08:33 PM · There's nothing wrong with guns in my opinion. Nor am I a pacifist. If you can't see the irony of a preacher who rails against the evils of music and dancing while bragging that he keeps a loaded pistol in his pulpit for "pre 911" use, meaning he'd rather shoot first then call the cops, then I simply don't know what to tell you. Enjoy your life and watch out for the ATF guys coming at your compound with the bulldozers.

January 23, 2006 at 08:27 PM · Dear Mr. Paranoid,

How can you consider a full day of eating, preaching and shooting to be intolerant?

Hoody Hoo! I waste the Unbeliever with my AK-47!

Nah, that's not intolerant. That's just good clean fun.

Unless you mean a lactose intolerance. Then, depending on the pot-luck, you could be in trouble.

... :)

You know, Jim, I think you're right -- I have indeed been lured into an illicit relationship with classical music. But I think that's okay, because whenever I compose, doesn't that mean that I'm procreating? And the lord did say, "be fruitful and multiply"(and I don't think he was talking about those math problems with apples and oranges).

January 23, 2006 at 08:37 PM · ""be fruitful and multiply"(and I don't think he was talking about those math problems with apples and oranges)."

Why didn't *I* think of that! :^D

January 23, 2006 at 08:39 PM · Just do this in google:

Christian self-defense

And look at the variety of stuff. Apparently there are a lot of "Christians" who believe the motto, "shoot 1st, ask questions later." So then that begs the question, "what is a Christian?" Which of course, is the Big Problem in religion, or, "yeur either win us er agin' us."

January 23, 2006 at 09:33 PM · Let's see if we can OT this thread off into oblivion where it belongs.

OK Lukey,

"It is a proven fact that, for example, The NLT is only 94% correct, and the others are just as, if not more so, inacurate [sic]."

A proven fact. Just goota luv it. Nothing like being spoon-fed your intellectual capacity. Do you read Greek? Hebrew? How about the Greek and Hebrew of the 1st few centuries, when the NT was made? Oh, you don't. Too bad, that. So then you tell me with a straight face, and to two significant figures no less, the percentage by which the NLT is off the Truth? So, if I say it is 89% or 96% or something, you are going to disagree?

To what purpose did you get onto this religion thing? There is only one thing more dangerous than a man with a gun. A kid with a gun. And only one thing more dangerous than that. A kid with a gun and religion. You are going to object to this post and feel insulted. Oh well. Get used to it. Religion is a "hot topic." If you can't stand the heat....

But this is a violin forum, not a religious war forum. It is just that I can't stand to have this unintelligent spoon-fed neochristian revivalist drivel spewed all over this bandwidth without some opposing viewpoint.

The philisophical question (to be answered by Philistines perhaps) is, is it possible to discuss techniques for playing hymns, without resorting to a discussion of the moral character of the interpretation?

Perhaps this thread was doomed, in the Calvinist sense, to an ignominious end.

January 23, 2006 at 10:10 PM · Ok people. Luke only meant good in what he said, so don't hate him to much.

Pastor Paulson does not really keep a loaded gun in the church,( I think) but they like to go hunting there. His stuff about guns are just jokes. Although he really does have preach and shoots. He preaches to the men about being good men and then they all go hunting.

The thing I don't like about Pastor Paulson is he is always joking about haveing a preach and shoot with cats. (He dislikes cats)

All in all he is a good pastor with a good church. So please don't think bad of him. He means well when he talks about guns and I am sorry I even mentioned him.

January 24, 2006 at 12:52 AM · Luke, please don't say something is a "proven fact" without proof. Enough with the bible thumping.

Oh btw, the King James Bible aint exactly renowned for historical accuracy.

This thread really should go the way of the Dodo (a bird which didn't go forth and multiply anywhere near often enough - probably didn't spent sufficient time listening to wanton and lascivious classical music).

Neil

January 24, 2006 at 02:04 AM · Hi people,

This is the original poster of this "thread." What has happened? I check this site in the evenings. I've been doing stuff for the past few days and when I get back this whole thing is out of control. Please use this discussion only for the question at hand. If you have an opinion go start your own thread.

Daniel

January 24, 2006 at 02:31 AM · I say you add trills when you feel the spirit...hehe couldn't resist.

Really though, I suppose typically in a hymn, come cadence time there's always an appropriate spot for a trill :-)

Although thoughtful careful practice will make not only your hymns sound better but also anything else you happen to be working on.

January 24, 2006 at 05:21 AM · Neil, the King James Bible just happens to be the very first bible. I think that makes it alittle more accurate. It is the only one I believe in.

January 24, 2006 at 06:04 AM · Kimberley, Please study your history and get your facts correct before posting them in a world-wide forum. At the very least get a good encylopedia and do some research.

To Daniel and other readers, I apologize for my part in chasing down the rabbit trail that appeared on this thread.

January 24, 2006 at 06:26 AM · Just curious, anybody here ever seen Jed Smock?

January 24, 2006 at 06:27 AM · This is funny.

David

January 24, 2006 at 06:36 AM · You won't be laughing in hell.

January 24, 2006 at 06:49 AM · You might be right Jim. You know what George Bernard Shaw said about 'hell'. 'Hell is full of musical amateurs'.

David

January 24, 2006 at 06:50 AM · LOL!

January 24, 2006 at 06:42 AM · Oooh, boy-o-boy! Everyone's hitting some of my hot-button discussion topics, boy-howdy!

I will (try to) resist the urge to respond (in too great of detail) to the side topics of Christianity... suffice it to say, that I love Jesus with all my heart, and it drives me up the wall when people take Him and His words out of context, or don't take the time to really get to know what this is all about. Assumptions and pride are terrible things. And, ditto on Wanda's statement - the first Bible, I believe, was essentially in Hebrew (OT) and Greek (NT). If you can comprehend those languages in their ancient context, then you're really on to something. Otherwise, just take advantage of the many attempts of translation throughout the years, and allow them to grant a bigger picture of all that God is trying to say to you. Gee, Jesus commanded us not to be afraid - of anything!

Anywayz, I'm so sorry, I digress, major-ly! Seriously, I love to discuss sort of thing with anyone interested. But, about the music, I just like to "jam", go with the spirit of the piece, you know? As it's been said before, either I'll stick to the melody line, or a nice harmony or descant line, or I'll improvise on the spot with a nice accompaniment or countermelody, depending on the verse, etc...

(Sorry!) :)

January 24, 2006 at 02:54 PM · Let's just follow the advice of Pastor Paulson:

"if you want to argue about this stuff, forget it!"

January 24, 2006 at 03:18 PM · come on people only 20 more posts to close this out.

January 24, 2006 at 03:24 PM · .

January 24, 2006 at 03:25 PM · .

January 24, 2006 at 03:25 PM · .

January 24, 2006 at 05:28 PM · Drones

January 24, 2006 at 05:28 PM · Droning...

January 24, 2006 at 05:29 PM · Drone... nods off into neverland...

January 24, 2006 at 05:35 PM · Yikes, and I almost didn't check back here. Anyone who wants to continue talking about CCM and stuff with me (although I would hardley call myself an expert, far from it), please feel free to contact me through my bio, by click on my name up there^^.

Cheers!

January 24, 2006 at 07:11 PM · Kimberley does not know what she is talking about, so don't listen to her.

Back to hymn playing,

Daniel,

I experimented with amazing grace and it sounds really good with my additions. For example, I slid the second note,put an open a betwixt the 4th and 5th note, made the 5th a double stop with the d string,etc.

January 24, 2006 at 09:13 PM · And back to the discussion on arranging hymns; about Finale Notepad's other limitations (as Carley mentioned), I think one of the less obviously crucial features left out in Notepad is the ability to extract parts from scores (i.e. you can make a score, but you can't print individual parts from it). Not a problem when your finished product will be hand-written, though ^^.

One solution is to email your score to someone with a version of Finale equal to or higher than your version of Notepad (Codamusic's lack of backwards compatibility can be infuriating), who can extract the parts and send them back to you. Same goes for if you'd like to have your score as a midi or wav file ^^ (and I do have Finale 2004 if anyone needs this service =)).

January 24, 2006 at 11:19 PM · I don't like getting into arguments. I don't like having to proove my faith, as faith is personal. I have a relationship with my god, and that is fine by me. No-one can convert me, and I certainly don't try and convert others. But I just wish to remind people of one small section of the bible, and what it means to me.

One of [the sadducees] was an expert in the Jewish Law. So he tried to test Jesus by asking, "Teacher, what is the most important commandment in the Law?" Jesus answered:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind. This is the first and most important commandment. The second most imprortant commandment is like this one. And it is, "Love others as much as you love yourself." All the Law of Moses and the Books of the Prophets are based on these two commandments." Matthew 22:35-40

To me, that means Love. Love your God with everything that you have. Dedicate everything you do to him, as he was the one that made you, and he is the one that can take it all away. Love your neighbors. Who is my Neighbor? Jesus answered this question with the story of the Good Samaritan. The meaning of this story was that your neighbor is everyone you meet - be they Male, female, White, black or asian, be they Christian or Muslim, you should love them.

There are many different types of Christianity. Some focus on the Holy Spirit. Some focus on Christ. Some focus on the Old Testament. There is one common link between us all - Christ. I'm not going to say that I'm right, and you're wrong. I'm not going to say that this version of the bible is better than others. I'm not going to say that this mans preaching is better than anothers. Because that's not what it's about. It's about love.

January 25, 2006 at 03:00 PM · Ben, I certainly agree with you about love. "So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."

But on a different note, what about 1 Peter 3:15, "and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you."

Doesn't that call on you to be ready to prove your religion?

January 25, 2006 at 02:35 PM · In

January 25, 2006 at 02:36 PM · the

January 25, 2006 at 02:36 PM · name

January 25, 2006 at 02:36 PM · of

January 25, 2006 at 02:36 PM · god

January 25, 2006 at 02:36 PM · let

January 25, 2006 at 02:36 PM · it

January 25, 2006 at 02:36 PM · end.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe