Asian music schools

January 17, 2006 at 11:38 PM · Asian Music Schools

Can anyone suggest the best music schools in Korean, Japan and China? I am thinking about applying to a school or two in that region but can't find any information about schools there. help please!! thank you

Replies (12)

January 18, 2006 at 12:27 AM · Toho school of music is the top in Japan.

Seiji Ozawa was a student there.

Keep in mind, many famous violinists come from that school, but many other violinists didn't go to Toho school and came to the US to study at Julliard. (example, Midori...my own teacher...etc.)

January 18, 2006 at 03:25 AM · Hi,

In Japan, Toho is tops. The Bejing and Shanghai Conservatories are excellent in China. In Korea, you should look at Seoul National University which is the country's top school in everything including music. There is also the new Singapore Conservatory, which has an excellent faculty.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

January 18, 2006 at 04:34 AM · Judging by the level of players that are comming out of Beijing Conservatory, that I have heard, I think it is probably one of the best schools right now, and I have been very impressed with the conservatory in Shanghai as well (all you have to do is listen to the Sibelius competition, and see from which conservatories many of the best contestants came from). I also second Christian, I have heard very good things of this Siew Toh Conservatory in Singapore.

January 18, 2006 at 04:39 AM · Greetings,

the top dog at Toho (Prof Kennichi- I think)studied with Galamian. I have heard in recital He is way past his playing prime al;though his intonation is immaculate. =very = small sound. I suspect he would be a little difficult to get access to without the right contacts.and I know he charges around 300 dollars an hour..

I think Professor Ito is still alive and well. He studied extensively in the USA. You can read a rather uninformative interview with him in one of the way they Play books. I heard one of (maybe) his top student playing Saint Seans three and the technique was Immaculate. I mean, the precision would have made Heifetz or Misltein look a little fuzzy . But it was incredibly cold and unimaginative.

There are some very fine violinsts floating around like Reiko Suzuki (Toho and then Gingold) . I go to her for concert preparation help sometimes. Great player , but not so interesting as a teacher. Taht is a distinction you need to be careful of (wherever you go, I suppose).

I cannot honestly say studying in Japan is your best bet. There is not a greta deal of concerts to go except home grown players doing rather dull recitals. The Suzuki method is preeminent (and taught very rigidly most of the time). there is no really vibrant Japanese school or violin culture out there.

Cheers,

Buri

January 18, 2006 at 06:36 AM · I don't know if I agree with the statement that there aren't many concerts except home grown in Japan. Japan invites a lot of Chinese violinists in too.

Anyway, Japanese society isn't nearly as structured and cold as it seems from the outside when you're a part of it (as I am). Maybe the playing is like that too? I don't know though, I haven't had as many opportunities as I'd like to hear Japanese musicians play.

In any case, I agree. Why go to Japan or China or Korea etc.? I mean, do you even speak the language? Why study abroad? Why Asia? Are you Japanese? Korean? Chinese? or is it just some other fascination? I know some people who studied abroad for their music education. They went to Paris or Austria. I just don't see why you'd particularly want to go to some place in Asia unless something else ties you there.

January 18, 2006 at 10:08 AM · Greetings,

the concert thing referred to orchestras and chamber groups as much as soloists. But it sure hasa lot less variety than my student days in London when the South Bank had inetersting stuff on two or three times a week. Bringing someone over from China (or Shiitake and leeks) is cheap. From Europe is another story .Very few of the new generation of violnists hace appeared here relative to Europe or America. When the Vienna Phil comes the tickets are artound 750 dollars.

BTW I have been in Japan for sixteen years and married to a Jaapnese lady.

Cheers,

Buri

January 18, 2006 at 05:16 PM · Buri, do you teach violin in Japan? Well, I am from Japan, but my son doesn't speak Japanese (I know it is sad). We are not sure at this point if we are relocating to Japan for a few years, but I know it is hard to find a good reputable English speaking teacher if you don't have connections. Can you think of someone you can recommend or yourself? Please don't laugh at me, but where is Seki? Is it near Tokyo? Also do you know any teacher in Osaka/Kansai area? What do you know about the violinist/teacher, Hisako Tsuji? If you could give me any info, I'd appreciate it. I want to be prepared just in case this thing happend rather quickly.

January 18, 2006 at 07:30 PM · Of course there's a reason for westerners to go study there... all the teachers have cool sounding names.

January 18, 2006 at 09:43 PM · It is unfortenate, but I do think that if one does not know the native language, it is almost useless to go (and it is a pity, as the level of both playing and teaching in many of these places is extremely high).

January 18, 2006 at 11:03 PM · Greetings,

Jiji,

> do you teach violin in Japan?

Yes.

>> but I know it is hard to find a good reputable English speaking teacher if you don't have connections.

Yes.

>Can you think of someone you can recommend or yourself?

Of course I recommend myself ;)

But, it depends to some extent on what your son wants and at what level. A lot of teachers tend to be tied up in institutes (Yamaha music school etc) because otherwise the job really does not pay well at all.

I can recommend you to a good English speaking teacher (bit rusty now perhaps) in Shizuoka City. She studied with Galamian and Delay. Superb player. In turn, she could get your son into the Toho system if you have the cash and are interested in that route,

I can probably get you a recommendation for a very fine teacher in the nagoya area. But he spent a lot of time studying in Europe and his school , for what its worth , might be a litlte bit different from your son`s. I don`t think this is a big deal, but I do have people come to me from the States who specifically ask for me to continue working in the `Galamian way.`

(So I smoke a lot and click my fingers loudly ;))

This guy would probably wnat your son to ditch the shoulde r rest and he does -a lot- of Kreutzer.

>Please don't laugh at me, but where is Seki?

No laugh. Seki is hardly a major center of Japan. Its in Gifu Ken.Years ago it was the center of traditional Japanese Katana making but now I think they just make plastic shaving blades.

>Is it near Tokyo?

No. But I li\ve in Gifu city now so it is easy to get to me from Nagoya.

>Also do you know any teacher in Osaka/Kansai area?

Yes. The concert,master of the Osaka Philharmonic is a very good musician and is very experienced. I could probably get you an introduction to him.

>What do you know about the violinist/teacher, Hisako Tsuji?

Nothing. I will ask around.

My email address is brivati@gw7.u-netsurf.ne.jp

Cheers,

Buri

January 19, 2006 at 01:41 AM · Thank you, Buri for your detailed info. I will contact you privately to your email address. Thanks again!

January 29, 2006 at 07:31 PM · thanks for the advice. i'm korean and think that going to music school in asia would simply be a good experience. do you know the website for the beijing and shanghai conservatories, if they have one? is the central conservatory of music in beijing the beijing conservatory?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe